SASH Deux & Tres; impressive planars from Ukraine
Jun 17, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #376 of 1,218
It's interesting that the Sash Tres is compared to much more expensive headphones like the Meze Elite or Audeze LCD-5.

Has anyone tried other custom ear pads on the Sash Tres? What size are these pads? Any recommendations and impressions?

What are you thoughts on the optional closed cups? I understand the jack of all trades idea. It seems like a budget solution, like the hybrid pants that can become shorts when needed. But I mean I am not sure it's very convenient to attach and detach them back and forth. Plus everyone seems to agree that the closed cups add up to the overall weight and degrade the sound quality. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have another set of closed-back cans? Or would you say the optional closed cups are good to have anyway because why not?
I have tried (with success) pads made for Audeze LCD headphones, most noteworthy was the Dekoni hybrid pads for LCD headphones.
You might have to remove the screws since Audeze pads are glued to the headphones...
About the closed cups: you get em for $50 and it gives a perfect opportunity to tinker with the headphones and explore dampening and reflections and learn why closed-back headphones are so much different then open-back headphones :) I have em and never use em anymore though. Closed-back cups make these feel like a weak $300 headphone. Removing the cups and using Très open-back transforms it into a competent $1000 headphone (at 1/3 of the price).

Jun 17, 2022 at 6:00 PM Post #378 of 1,218
It's interesting that the Sash Tres is compared to much more expensive headphones like the Meze Elite or Audeze LCD-5.

Has anyone tried other custom ear pads on the Sash Tres? What size are these pads? Any recommendations and impressions?

What are you thoughts on the optional closed cups? I understand the jack of all trades idea. It seems like a budget solution, like the hybrid pants that can become shorts when needed. But I mean I am not sure it's very convenient to attach and detach them back and forth. Plus everyone seems to agree that the closed cups add up to the overall weight and degrade the sound quality. Wouldn't it make more sense to just have another set of closed-back cans? Or would you say the optional closed cups are good to have anyway because why not?
I've tried the 45 Ohm Tres with Sasha leather, perforated and velour earpads also with the semi open cups and closed. I wasn't the biggest fan of the closed cups. While it wasn't as V shaped when compared to the 16 ohm, I felt the magic that the Tres has was somewhat taken away. Imaging felt a bit blury and soundstage reduced while the mids took a hit too. I did like the semi open cups much much more though which brought me to putting them in my order. The semi open cups make the Tres more U shaped but still keep a very nice balance. You gain more low end impact, mids pull back just a touch but still remain clear, and treble gains a touch more energy, though it's slight but I feel it also rolls off a bit at the high treble so sizle is pretty spot on and never becomes bright or fatiguing. With perforated pads on open back 45 ohm Tres. The Tres becomes a soundstage and imaging beast. Heaps of clarity and air, maybe even too much? But I love it. Low ends does become very neutral though with a bit of roll off under 60hz. EQ fixes this and you can gain the slam back. Mids are forward but not shouty and energy up top in the treble but never splashy or fatiguing.

Velour earpads do similar to perforated, but less so while keep more low end. Soundstage is not as large and airy but mids come forward a bit and treble as well comes to play. Mids are the star of the show with velour earpads, great for vocal tracking.

Leather you have most low end and is more neutral U shaped.

Semi open cups work great with all earpads. My favourite combo was Semi open with velour earpads, second would be leather, the third is perforated.

Open cups would be, perforated with 5db low shelf at 70hz. Second would be velour earpads, 3db low shelf at 70hz. Third is leather earpads. Don't need a low shelf, but low end satisfaction with leather earpads and 5db low shelf at 70hz puts a massive smile on my face.

I do prefer forward mids and airy treble so you may prefer leather earpads most or maybe velour or maybe feel the same. But I'd skip closed cups and consider semi open 😊. No matter which earpad and open or semi open though. The Tres has amazing soundstage and imaging. The 45 ohn Tres with open cups and perforated earpads though is insane though. It's a sound I had to get used to. Imagine that big planar sound. Like a huge wall of sound coming at you. Then you add heaps of air and openess to it. Extremely pin point imaging, a very wide spread and great height, heaps of depth, yet vocals are forward and clear then you have that slamming low end. It's a joy to listen. It's not neautral or flat. It is colored but the musical enjoyment. Not many headphones bring as much enjoyment and intensity. That's the only thing. The perforated pads with open back cups on the 45 ohm Tres with that low shelf at 70hz is intense

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #379 of 1,218
How much sound leakage on the semi-open cups? I originally planned on doing open + semi-open but Sasha convinced me to go closed for my second cups. I really want to run these with a closed or semi-open cup to be honest; I already have Audeze LCD-X and aesthetically, while these are good looking no matter what, I really love the wood cup look. They're kind of like a Ukrainian planar magnetic take on the ZMF style.

Jun 17, 2022 at 11:11 PM Post #380 of 1,218
I have no intention on using the closed backs myself. I just got them to fill out the custom box he makes.
I got the impression that he'll make the foam cut outs according to the options you choose, so if you don't get a pair of additional cups, I don't think the gift box would have a cut out for them.

Jun 18, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #381 of 1,218
How much sound leakage on the semi-open cups? I originally planned on doing open + semi-open but Sasha convinced me to go closed for my second cups. I really want to run these with a closed or semi-open cup to be honest; I already have Audeze LCD-X and aesthetically, while these are good looking no matter what, I really love the wood cup look. They're kind of like a Ukrainian planar magnetic take on the ZMF style.
Theres a bit, it's noticeable unless you are listening on a lower volume.

Jun 20, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #383 of 1,218
I may try something different... I want to ask Vepser Audio if they can make me some custom earpads for the Tres. I want to make some earpads similar to the LCD-5 contoured earpads. I have no idea how it'll make the Tres sound. But as the Tres is so costumizable why not even take it further :wink:
Let us know any news about this...
I think the pads are the worse part of the tres, it will be nice to find a custom pad

Jun 20, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #384 of 1,218
I just ordered the cloth pads, curious what you guys feel are the best pads for the 16ohm version...

Jun 20, 2022 at 11:39 PM Post #385 of 1,218
I got my Tres a couple of days ago and only got to try them a little yesterday. I started with the velour pads and was pretty disappointed. They where miles behind my LCD-2 and 3 all over the spectrum and had a very steep bass roll off (to my ears). After a short while I put on the leather pads, and then: Godamn... these are really something.

I`ve had Audeze`s a while and have been pad rolling, but because of the gluing it takes some time to switch, not a good A/B setting. With the Tres, pad switching goes pretty fast and my god the different pads does a lot to the sound on these.

I also got the closed cups and will try to do a little testing with different dampening material with those. Anyone have a dampening material suggestions? I would think it`s a good idea to really stuff them to minimize cup reflections/cup reverb.

Btw. these seem to be very well built, even with a bit of plastic. The plastic itself does seem to be of good quality, I don`t get a "plasticky" feeling from them. The metal parts are pretty beef stuff.

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:43 AM Post #386 of 1,218
I got my Tres a couple of days ago and only got to try them a little yesterday. I started with the velour pads and was pretty disappointed. They where miles behind my LCD-2 and 3 all over the spectrum and had a very steep bass roll off (to my ears). After a short while I put on the leather pads, and then: Godamn... these are really something.

I`ve had Audeze`s a while and have been pad rolling, but because of the gluing it takes some time to switch, not a good A/B setting. With the Tres, pad switching goes pretty fast and my god the different pads does a lot to the sound on these.

I also got the closed cups and will try to do a little testing with different dampening material with those. Anyone have a dampening material suggestions? I would think it`s a good idea to really stuff them to minimize cup reflections/cup reverb.

Btw. these seem to be very well built, even with a bit of plastic. The plastic itself does seem to be of good quality, I don`t get a "plasticky" feeling from them. The metal parts are pretty beef stuff.
Do you have the 16 ohm version or 45 ohm?

Jun 21, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #389 of 1,218
for me: leather pads. The velour pads are a nice addition but the headphones really shine with the leather pads.
Yeah. I don't really have any complaints on the leather, but it really depends on the music I listen to, most of the time it's pretty much perfect, other times I wish I had a bit more air, treble, mids
So I thought to try these velours out
Seems to be about what I hope for, these headphones are really versatile

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back