Santana at Woodstock
Jan 27, 2004 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MrSiki99

100+ Head-Fier
If you have not yet seen the Woodstock movie, and witnessed Santana's "Soul Sacrifice", you must go do so right now. It is perhaps the most amazing performance I have ever seen, especially drummer Michael Shrieve's legendary solo. And don't forget that Carlos Santana is one of the greatest guitarists ever! BTW the sound quality isnt that great, but its an old movie so you gotta expect that.

Jan 27, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by MrSiki99
If you have not yet seen the Woodstock movie, and witnessed Santana's "Soul Sacrifice", you must go do so right now. It is perhaps the most amazing performance I have ever seen, especially drummer Michael Shrieve's legendary solo. And don't forget that Carlos Santana is one of the greatest guitarists ever! BTW the sound quality isnt that great, but its an old movie so you gotta expect that.

Absolutely! That IS a Classic performance by Santana.

Jan 28, 2004 at 4:32 AM Post #3 of 10
Yup, this is one of the high points, perhaps THE high point of the terrific film. You can feel what it was like to be there. And the film cutting, a bit crude by MTV standards, is very effective.
Santana's classic backup bands were so much better than those "Supernatural" lamo-s he got stuck with.
cool.gif
wink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 10
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by daycart1

Santana's classic backup bands were so much better than those "Supernatural" lamo-s he got stuck with

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I enjoy his 30 years of work until very recently. Even his "Brothers" back in the mid-'90s was very satisfying work, and then suddenly this "Supernatural" and "Shaman" stuff, hopefully it is just his excursion into making some money from commercial material.

Happy listening,
W

Jan 29, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #5 of 10
Yep, the performance of Soul Sacrifice is one of the high points of the Woodstock concert, it is not hard to understand why it made it into the film. The sound is even better on the Director's Cut DVD of the film. If your toes are not tapping after hearing/seeing this performance, better have someone check your pulse cause chances are you are dead.

Jan 29, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 10
Santana always had amazing musicians in his band. Even if his last two albums were bunk, the live band he tours with is still terrific.

My favorite Santana band is probably 1976-1977, around the Moonflower era. My favorite Santana recording is from late 1976, a concert recording issued by Westwood One radio networks for their Superstar Concert Series. Now THAT is a killer Soul Sacrifice.

Jan 29, 2004 at 6:26 AM Post #7 of 10
He and Wayne Shorter did a predictably super collaboration for a short while....
cool.gif

Feb 6, 2004 at 6:48 PM Post #8 of 10
Feb 6, 2004 at 8:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
He and Wayne Shorter did a predictably super collaboration for a short while....
cool.gif

daycart, did you get to see one of their shows? I have a shorter/santana recording from the Fillmore that is pretty decent.

Feb 7, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #10 of 10
No, I wish I had. I saw them do a number from the show some TV talk show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back