Santa Rosa, CA mini meet 6.24.2005
Jul 9, 2005 at 4:55 PM Post #31 of 43
you should give the Qualias another chance, with a well burned in pair connected to a nice balanced amp with a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable. should sound much different than one driven unbalanced with the stock cable, especially if it wasn't burned in. don't know if you'll like the change, but there's a pretty drastic difference IMO.

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
you should give the Qualias another chance

Oh, definately. I tell it like I hear it, but I'm not closed to the idea that there may have been other factors. It was using the stock cable, but I believe they were well burned in. I would have to check with Jude to be sure though. As for balanced operation... I doubt it would account for enough of an improvement. I think that balancing a headphone that I already like unbalanced is a better bet. I suppose it is possible that the stock cable is just that bad, but I know with the Zu Mobius that I used with my old K271S it was an overall refinement and not a complete change to the sound. I think that gpalmers comments about fit might be closer to the mark. It seemed like the Qualia's fit me properly and I was getting a good seal, but perhaps this was the culprit that caused the cavernous sound that threw me off of them?

Jul 9, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #33 of 43
I don't know.
tongue.gif
all I know is I need to get a Black Dragon cable.

Jul 31, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #37 of 43
How about a switchbox like this? It should work for A/B'ing balanced HP amps. You may need to put lead weights in the bottom to keep your IC's from lifting the box in the air ....
280smile.gif

sa2xo_r550c.jpg

I may just have a few of these lying around; I'll have to try one out as an A/B box tomorrow.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 31, 2005 at 2:09 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
What's that black/copper thing in the middle? Extra heatsinks?

that's supposedly there to help transfer heat to the top cover of the case. sft likes to use the whole case as a heatsink.

as for me, I prefer the case and heatsink to be separate so I can handle the case easier when I have to plug headphones in or change the volume. that thing gets very hot IMO. Scrith doesn't seem to mind it though.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Alex, have you made a Ray Samuels style balanced amp switchbox?

If not, get to it!
biggrin.gif

not yet. I do have a lot of XLR connectors (male and female) but no switches. I have been thinking about it though.

I also have some military-spec wire.
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2007 at 2:51 PM Post #40 of 43
Wow, resurrected a 2 year old thread. =T

Feb 5, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, resurrected a 2 year old thread. =T

Yep, that or start a new one...
On second thought, maybe if I started a new one, I'd get an answer to my question.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back