Santa didn't bring me my IEMs, so I need to buy some.
Dec 27, 2006 at 5:46 AM Post #31 of 39
Quote:

[Ron Bergundy]Agree to disagree[/Ron Bergundy].

There is a difference between bass amount and bass extension. The ER4 has excellent bass extension, only -4db at 20hz according to Etymotic.

Dec 30, 2006 at 6:25 AM Post #33 of 39
I'm in the same boat but with a lower budget, UM1s are what I'm mainly interested in but I'm also wondering about the super.fi 3 studio. People don't seem to mention them much but they can be had for considerably less (UM1s seem to go for 109 universally).

How do they compare?

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a difference between bass amount and bass extension. The ER4 has excellent bass extension, only -4db at 20hz according to Etymotic.

When I heard them they did not sound very extended. I know the difference between extension and amount.

Dec 31, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillz10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E4=slightly out of price range

enless im not looking hard enough :p

Oops, I was under the impression you could get them for $175 at the right place, though it has been a while since I looked.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #36 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jam_Master_J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oops, I was under the impression you could get them for $175 at the right place, though it has been a while since I looked.

When I ordered mine [which I ended up selling the same day I got them], they were 155.99 @ amazon.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:34 AM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phosphene /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the same boat but with a lower budget, UM1s are what I'm mainly interested in but I'm also wondering about the super.fi 3 studio. People don't seem to mention them much but they can be had for considerably less (UM1s seem to go for 109 universally).

How do they compare?

As much the fan of UE products that I am, the Super.Fi 3 studio was nothing special to my ears. The extra cash for the Super.Fi 5 pro is well worth the difference, IMO. They have a newer model called the Metro.Fi 2, and from what I hear it is better than the SF3studio (even though it is slightly less expensive and looks like a mini blowdryer, hence the pet name blower.fi), but I have not heard it myself so I can't say for sure. They released it to compete with the mass market IEMs like the BOSE Triport In-Ears... (I hate BOSE and wish them a very untimely demise).

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:45 AM Post #38 of 39
Yikes...watching this thread was painful. The Ety fanboys seemed like they came on too strong and didn't give the guy a chance (Sounded like a bunch of commercial salesmen deadset on selling the consumer what the salesmen want the consumer to buy, and perhaps not what the consumer wants to buy). You know you're being too much of a fanboy and pushing your product too strongly if the person you're helping has to ask multiple times WHY the product you're pushing is better. To others reading this that are looking for new headphones, make sure to always ask questions and play the devil's advocate when looking for recommendations; it's a very efficient way to weed out fanboys and LEARN more about the headphones you're looking at (Rather than headphone X is THE BEST; it's better than Y and is the best for genres A, B, and C. BUY IT NOW). It may seem like an awful lot of trouble, but there are a lot of nuances you should be aware of when deciding between different headphones.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You said rock, punk and pop didn't you...??

ER4 is good for those.

(WHY are they good for these genres? What SPECIFIC characterisitcs of the ER4P makes it so good for these genres? What makes it BETTER than the UM1 for these genres?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are familar with HJE50, no doubt you WILL immersely enjoy the upgrade to ER-4P. I was an HJE50 owner before and I know what I am talking about. If you do a search in Head-Fi, ER-4 wins hands down for the best Isolation considering you will be commuting in a noisy environment. And yes they are THE BEST bang for the buck for Universal Single Driver IEM money can buy. The only catch it that you will have to patiently train yourself in using them because the wearing of deep IEM is an art in itself LOL!
etysmile.gif

(Why did you find the ER-4P better than the HJE50? What is a "Universal Single Driver IEM" and why did you specifically mention that the ER-4P was only "THE BEST" in that category?)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because the ER4P can be upgraded to the ER4S later. The ER4S is one of the leaders for clarity, speed, and detail. Even the 4P by itself is great, though.

(What specific difference does the ER4S make? What's the difference between the P and S models? [I'm not even sure anyone explained to the OP what the difference is between the ER4P and the ER4SWhy is the ER4S one of the leaders for clarity, speed, and detail (what kind of sound does it specifically have that makes it the leader?)? I was concerned about the lack of bass earlier with the ER4P; what do you think about this with regard to them being the leaders for clarity, speed, and detail? What are the negatives/cons of ER4P? For what reasons do people choose other IEMs over the ER4P? If you could change/improve one aspect about them, what would it be? etc.)

It's VERY important to hear both sides of the story when it comes to audio recommendations. Whether people want to admit it or not, there are distinct groups of fanboys for EVERY headphone that gets recommended here, and it's important not to get caught up in all of this (I realize that the majority of the time the peoples in question don't mean any harm and are offering their advice in a fun manner, but a lot of the time the OPs are new to hi-fi and aren't exactly aware of the extreme level of subjectivity involved). Be a bit more cautious is all I'm saying, or else you'll be hearing caveat emptor a lot more than you wish to.

For the record I have heard none of the IEMs in question but am equally interested in the ER4P/S and Westone UM2. Based on what I've read, the ER4P/S is supposed to sound very analytical, detailed, and lean (which some people have called "boring" and too "neutral" and lacking punch in the bass department). I have no discrimination against the ER4P/S and will probably buy a pair sometime in the future (but I'd probably pair it with a warm amp and DAC); I just would like to inform others that it's important to realize there's no universally perfect headphone, and that every plus has a minus.

Dec 31, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yikes...watching this thread was painful. The Ety fanboys seemed like they came on too strong and didn't give the guy a chance (Sounded like a bunch of commercial salesmen deadset on selling the consumer what the salesmen want the consumer to buy, and perhaps not what the consumer wants to buy). You know you're being too much of a fanboy and pushing your product too strongly if the person you're helping has to ask multiple times WHY the product you're pushing is better.

I think you hit the nail on the head. But, at the same time, I didn't really think the purchase through and I forgot what it was I was looking for exactly. I guess I got lost in the detail hype to a degree to. When I actually got the ER-4Ps I found myself askign where is the amazing detail? I coudl distringuish some differences between the sound when I quickly switched between the HJE-50 and the ER-4P, but not 140.00 worth of difference. I nthe end, it was pretty much guaranteed what I wasn't going to like them.

I decided to nix the UM1s in favor of the V-Moda vibes. The vibes are easy to insert/remove [much like my current HJE-50], and are supposed to sound great [some say better than the UM2, Superfi 5 Pro etc...].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back