Santa didn't bring me my IEMs, so I need to buy some.
Dec 25, 2006 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
Okay, long story short... I didn't get any IEMs from santa.
evil_smiley.gif

Used With: my Zune, possibly my computer or AV Reveiver
Where: 99% of the time will be at school, on buses, in cars... Basicly, in environments where I want to block out the outside noise.
Listening to: Just about anything, Rock, Punk, Ska, Pop... Seriosuly anythign but country and rap.
Price Range: 80-175.00 [175.00 is my ABSOLUTE max.]

I currently use a Panasonic HJE-50, and am quite happy with it, but want some better sound, and defiantly a little more low end kick.

Contenders thus far are...
Westone UM1: I love the design, but will they be up to par SQ wise?
V-Moda Vibes: I think they are ugly, and the isolation isn't very good I hear. But, the sound quality is supposed to be great for the money. How much better are they than the UM1?

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, long story short... I didn't get any IEMs from santa.
evil_smiley.gif

Used With: my Zune, possibly my computer or AV Reveiver
Where: 99% of the time will be at school, on buses, in cars... Basicly, in environments where I want to block out the outside noise.
Listening to: Just about anything, Rock, Punk, Ska, Pop... Seriosuly anythign but country and rap.
Price Range: 80-175.00 [175.00 is my ABSOLUTE max.]

I currently use a Panasonic HJE-50, and am quite happy with it, but want some better sound, and defiantly a little more low end kick.

Contenders thus far are...
Westone UM1: I love the design, but will they be up to par SQ wise?
[size=xx-small]V-Moda Vibes: I think they are ugly, and the isolation isn't very good I hear. But, the sound quality is supposed to be great for the money. How much better are they than the UM1?[/size]

For your needs I think the UM1's are the way to go. It sounds like you've already decided on them anyway. I think with the right tips the UM1's will provide the sound you're looking for. The comfort, isolation, and the lack of microphonics are the way to go here.

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:57 PM Post #4 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For your needs I think the UM1's are the way to go. It sounds like you've already decided on them anyway. I think with the right tips the UM1's will provide the sound you're looking for. The comfort, isolation, and the lack of microphonics are the way to go here.

x2!!

The UM1's are great as far as entry level true IEM's (units that use balanced armatures) go. In my opinion they are very detailed and the midrange is excellent, although bass performance could use a little boosting.

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 39
You guys are mostly right I think. I was very set on the UM1s.. In fact they were the number one item on my list... For some reason I didn't get any, haha.

So, looks like I will be ordering some later tonight perhaps.
Wheres the best place to order? Earphone solutions?

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 39
Personally, I would pick the ER4Ps. You can get an S cable later and then you'll have one of the best IEM's out there.

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I would pick the ER4Ps. You can get an S cable later and then you'll have one of the best IEM's out there.

Care to fill me in on some more details?

Dec 26, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 39
Check out ebay. They can be had shipped for just about your price roof. They are low impedance and can be run right out of your Zune, and the synergy between the somewhat analytical Ety's and the somewhat fun sounding Zune might be quite good.

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #10 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by khbaur330162 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out ebay. They can be had shipped for just about your price roof. They are low impedance and can be run right out of your Zune, and the synergy between the somewhat analytical Ety's and the somewhat fun sounding Zune might be quite good.

I honestly don't know much about them, but from doing a little research they don't seem to be what I want. The earphonesolutions summary says...

Quote:

Very good for home listening but not good for outdoor activities and exercising due to its awkward design. Many of our customers think they lack bass and we have to agree.

Just doesn't sound like what I want...
BTW, they are on sale on amazon right now for 155.00 I think.

Dec 26, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by KrooLism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go Etymotic.

Trust us... you won't regret it.

Would someone show him the Etymotic fan club page???

WHY though, what will that extra 50.00 gain me from the UM1?

I like the fact that the UM1 has a great design/is very comfy and it also has a somewhat 'fun' sound. Like I said, I don't know much about the er4p, but from what I am reading it sounds more like the opposite of what I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back