Sansa clip zip sound lacking?
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

InRainbows

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have a question about the sound quality on the sansa clip zip. I purchased one e months ago for use instead of my Galaxy Nexus as a music player. From various research on this website I've found that the clip zip should sound exactly the same as the clip+. Since the clip+ is so renowned for sound quality, I was surprised and disappointed when I plugged my headphones in and heard a thin, harsh sound signature that was very unpleasant. I have it rock boxed, which shouldn't make the sound worse right? For now I am using my Galaxy nexus with power amp rather than my zip because it just sounds sooo much better. Is something wrong with my clip zip or am I just setting my standards too high? Will adding a fiio e11 change the sound for the better at all?

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:
Hey guys, I have a question about the sound quality on the sansa clip zip. I purchased one e months ago for use instead of my Galaxy Nexus as a music player. From various research on this website I've found that the clip zip should sound exactly the same as the clip+. Since the clip+ is so renowned for sound quality, I was surprised and disappointed when I plugged my headphones in and heard a thin, harsh sound signature that was very unpleasant. I have it rock boxed, which shouldn't make the sound worse right? For now I am using my Galaxy nexus with power amp rather than my zip because it just sounds sooo much better. Is something wrong with my clip zip or am I just setting my standards too high? Will adding a fiio e11 change the sound for the better at all?

If you're not tinkering with the EQ, then it should sound no different from the original firmware. Are you using the EQ on Poweramp with your phone? And what earphones/headphones are you using?

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 16
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes I eq it on my phone with a very slight U shape but even with all the eq settings disabled in poweramp it sounds better. I am using the ATH-M50.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

I've heard that Rockbox can actually be of worse sound quality unless you are going to be using the EQ options available.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
I've heard that Rockbox can actually be of worse sound quality unless you are going to be using the EQ options available.

Not necessarily true. On the Zip it changes nothing.....on the Clip+, it corrects the slight playback speed error, which discerning ears can hear.

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 16
really? Because I've tried almost every audio player on the market (even audiophile players such as neutron and jet audio) and power amp sounds better than them all. :)

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes I eq it on my phone with a very slight U shape but even with all the eq settings disabled in poweramp it sounds better. I am using the ATH-M50.

I have never used the M50, but the Clip Zip powers my ATH-WS55's easily enough and isn't thin sounding at all. I wonder if you have a defective unit? 

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #9 of 16
I have never used the M50, but the Clip Zip powers my ATH-WS55's easily enough and isn't thin sounding at all. I wonder if you have a defective unit? 
It just sounds so in my face and brash, like mono almost. Defective would make it sound grainy wouldn't it?

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
It just sounds so in my face and brash, like mono almost. Defective would make it sound grainy wouldn't it?

Grainy, I don't know. Hopefully somebody else with M50's and a Clip+/Zip  reads this thread and can compare notes with you on the sound...

Nov 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Hopefully, thanks for your help!
smily_headphones1.gif

If you don't want to dig all the way into the parametric Rockbox EQ, there are simple Bass and Treble settings in the Sound settings menu....have you tried them out?

Nov 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Yes, but I found they just make it sound worse :/

Try post this problem on the anythingbutipod website.

How did the Clip Zip sound with the original Sandisk Sansa firmware?

Is there a "reset" setting in Rockbox?
Have you tried reseting the firmware?

Could you have a bad install of Rockbox?
So maybe try a fresh install of Rockbox?
Reinstall the Sandisk Sansa firmware?

Are you fully charging the Clip Zip's battery?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back