Sansa Clip+ vs Cowon D2+?
Nov 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

minisvami

New Head-Fier
I need a new DAP. I had and loved the old D2 (it got stolen) so I need a new one.
I thought about the new D2+. It has all the features I need (FLAC support, great SQ, expansion slot, great battery time ect) plus BBE+. The D2 UI is not too great in my opinion.
Clip+ is much cheaper, has mostly the same features minus battery time and such sound encantments as BBE+. I have also read that Clip+ EQ is pretty weak, but have never heard it myself.
Right now i got a Rockboxed Sansa e2700 for a loan to fill the gap. I'm not too happy with it.

I'm listening mostly jazz, classical nad rock/indie music. FLAC and 320kbps mp3. Do not need the video function really. I have PFE IEMs for everyday lsitening and also Nuforce Mobile amp but I do not think that the amp is needed.

I can get the 8GB Clip+ and 8GB microSD card for 107 EUR
The 8GB Cowon D2+ wihtout expansion card will cost 137 EUR

Witch one should I choose? The money is kind of issue for me right now.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:25 AM Post #2 of 15
I would go with the Clip+ because of the UI and the price. I have the D2+ firmware and its not that great. I keep getting database corruptions. However, if you like the long battery life and playing with the EQ, you would be better off with a D2+.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 15
These two players are not in the same field, the Clip is a great small player for a workout, beach, run and anything that you don’t care if it blows up, drowns or dies, btw the EQ is worthless unless it’s an old v1 and you rockbox it.

On the other hand, the cowon is a serious player with great tweaks in JetEffect's - 5 Band EQ (presets and user definable), BBE, Mach3Bass (enhances low end bass), MP Enhance (restores distorted music from digital compression), 3D Surround, Pan (left/right balance) and more, strong amp, SD/SDHC card slot, TV-out, FM radio, voice/line-in/FM recorder, user-configurable effect presets, text viewer, date/time/alarm, bookmarks, on-the-go playlist, deleting files on the player …

I’d buy a refurb D2 and throw the plus firmware on it and with the money you save, buy a refurb clip v1 and rockbox it ftw

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by anadin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd buy a D2+ and put Rockbox on it.

AFAIK there isn't any differance between the D2 and the D2+ other than firmware and the D2+ firmware has is already running fine on many D2's, so why pay more o_O

Edit: BTW, The D2 port status is: unstable http://www.rockbox.org/wiki/CowonD2Info

Nov 4, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 15
If you just want to listen, then the Clip is great. If you want eq or do much file browsing, then the D2 would be a much better choice. Battery life is another big difference. The interface of the D2 seems designed to facilitate lots of fiddling and tweaking of the player as you are using it. The interface of the Clip is as minimal as can be.

Do you already have a SD card for the D2? That might be a consideration too.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #7 of 15
Why would anyone buy an old D2 (unless it was well discounted) when you can get a new D2+ for a similiar price new.

If you put Rockbox on it you dont need to tinker at all with the EQ as it sounds wonderful flat.

Nov 4, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Why would anyone buy an old D2 (unless it was well discounted) when you can get a new D2+ for a similiar price new.

If you put Rockbox on it you dont need to tinker at all with the EQ as it sounds wonderful flat.

Because, depending on where you are a refurb D2 is way cheaper and it can run the D2+ fw. Also as I said above, the D2 rockbox port status is: unstable CowonD2Info < Main < Wiki.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

I did mention (unless it was well discounted).

As for the port being unstable its running great on my D2+.

Its running great on mine (D2 with D2+ firmware) too. I don't think that page has been updated recently.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by WalkGood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These two players are not in the same field, the Clip is a great small player for a workout, beach, run and anything that you don’t care if it blows up, drowns or dies, btw the EQ is worthless unless it’s an old v1 and you rockbox it.

On the other hand, the cowon is a serious player with great tweaks in JetEffect's - 5 Band EQ (presets and user definable), BBE, Mach3Bass (enhances low end bass), MP Enhance (restores distorted music from digital compression), 3D Surround, Pan (left/right balance) and more, strong amp, SD/SDHC card slot, TV-out, FM radio, voice/line-in/FM recorder, user-configurable effect presets, text viewer, date/time/alarm, bookmarks, on-the-go playlist, deleting files on the player …

I’d buy a refurb D2 and throw the plus firmware on it and with the money you save, buy a refurb clip v1 and rockbox it ftw

This.

/thread.

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

... As for the port being unstable its running great on my D2+.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk1388 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its running great on mine (D2 with D2+ firmware) too. I don't think that page has been updated recently.

I stand corrected, only had one friend running it and he wasn't happy with stability, although I haven't see him in a while and I don't have a d2 to test. But I hear your point and I also caught up reading here as well as rockbox site ^^.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #13 of 15
I prefer the sound on the clip+ over the d2+ so I'd go with the clip+

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by deadly55 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the sound on the clip+ over the d2+ so I'd go with the clip+

Im not a lover of the D2's SQ with the stock firmware but install Rockbox and its a different beast entirely.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 15
Thank you all for your valuable opinions.
I think I stick for a while with my friends rockboxed Sansa e270 and see the post-christams prizes. Maybe I find a secondhand D2 or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back