SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Impressions
Oct 13, 2009 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ericinmd

Head-Fier
Very seldom in my life have I come across products whos value far exceeds their cost, but this little gem does just that.

I have owned 6 iPods. 2G Shuffle, 2G Nano, 5G Nano, 7G classic and a pair of 32GB 3G touches. The shuffle and 2G nano I have handed down to my nephew. I hated the classic and took it back. Recently took back the 5G Nano, but still have the Touches. In other words I've been around the iPod block so to speak. I'm not an apple fanboy or an iPod hater, just sort of open minded I guess.

I needed something small and wanted a display but did not want video. I wanted to have great SQ as well. I had briefly read a few great things about the clip and the clip+ so I rolled the dice.

Not being very computer savvy for my age (40) and not good with electronics in general I was sorta scared to go outside the friendly confines of the iPod world I had slowly learned after the last few years and was comfortable with.

I used dbPowerAMP to rip 3 CDs into FLAC. After fumbling around a bit I figured out how to drag and drop them to the clip+.

So here are my initial impressions if I haven't bored you to death already:

It's bada$$ end of story. I'm not an audiophile, but I am very anal about my stuff and OMG does this thing deliver for a measily $49.99.

I hooked up my trusty KSC75's and listened to Radiohead The Bends, Metallica Death Magnetic, and Queens OF The Stone Age Rated R. I can honestly say my neck hurts today from all the head bobbin' I had going on.

I don't really have enough experience to give a professional type review but:

PROS:

-teeny tiny
-headphone out SQ blows the doors off everything I've had except the 3G touch which it I haven't compared side by side yet. I think I like the clip+ best, even though the 3G touch has very good SQ. It's different.
-FM radio
-voice recorder
-can record off the radio supposedly
-micro sd expansion slot
-FLAC and OGG capable
-very small but very nice OLED display
-build quality feels solid
-ridiculously low price

CONS:

- I can't really find any visible flaws for my needs.

I'm still not 100% sure what music management software I'm going to use and I'm not sure I 100% understand how every little thing works like I did on my iPod but I haven't even had it 24 hours yet. I have some questions and some will get asked here shortly.

To sum it up IMHO everyone needs to go out and get one of these for $49.99 (4GB). I wanted the 8GB but they were out at the time.

I have some health issues that keep me from watching video or gaming on my touch and I may just take it back and use this thing for my main player for awhile. It's that good...

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 25
Great review, ericinmd! I totally feel the same way about my Clip+. This is what I wanted ever since I got my original 4GB Clip, and it only took SanDisk a year to oblige. I'm using it as my main player and I'm very happy with it.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #5 of 25
I love mine, but there's just a few problems with it so far:

Gapless playback isn't truly 100% gapless all the time. I had to buy an iPod Photo and Rockbox it to get 100% true, reliable gapless playback. That's one reason why my 120GB Zune doesn't see much use any more too. Gapless works fine with some albums, but with most albums, it doesn't work at all.

The FM radio's 95.9 and 96.1 don't work (96.1 is my favorite station here, so that's really annoying.

The voice recording feature will not work at all sometimes. I'll use it, it won't work, then music won't play at all unless I raise the volume. Weird.

The EQ is absolute garbage. A slight bass boost really helps my RE0's, but it's instantly turned to mud when EQ is enabled.

These issues seem like they could easily be fixed with a firmware update. They're not big issues (well, 1 and 2 are with me) to most people, but the Clip+ isn't perfect. Other than that, I love it. One of the best purchases I've made in a long time.

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by apnk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice mini review! I am thinking if dumping the Fuze and getting the Clip.

My 8GB Fuze is in the FS forum, no takers yet. Just no need for both, since I never use the Fuze video function. May have to drop my price soon. Oh, I bought the Fuze first and then picked up the Clip+, so now I need just the latter.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 8GB Fuze is in the FS forum, no takers yet. Just no need for both, since I never use the Fuze video function. May have to drop my price soon. Oh, I bought the Fuze first and then picked up the Clip+, so now I need just the latter.

There's no LOD for the Clip+ right? Do you have a LOD for the Fuze?

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I never use the video function either. Last year I bought the fuze over the clip because of the microsd slot, but now it's the best of both worlds.

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by winwin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no LOD for the Clip+ right? Do you have a LOD for the Fuze?

Yes, do have a good Fuze LOD. PM me if interested, cause I just sold the Fuze without it. Clip+ can't have an LOD.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericinmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys. I played Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon and there were gaps between the songs. Is there a setting on the player I need to change?

There's no setting you can change to fix gapless playback as far as I know. It's a firmware issue. The developers have to change it.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #12 of 25
Great review, thanks - I'm feeling all jealous now, I'm going to have to go shopping for a new Clip+ tomorrow - However I'm getting bad vibes from 'her who must be obeyed' though.

Oct 23, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #14 of 25
after using it more I have 2 gripes about it (no player is perfect seemingly).

1.) The battery meter that does not work is ridiculous. Apparently all clip+ owners are having this issue.

2.) The fact that it can't play my Lame mp3 files gapless is a bunch of horse crap! I have quite a few live albums now and this sucks. Especially since they advertise it as being a gapless player. Those same files play gapless on my iPods flawlessly. Not to say my iPods don't have their own issues. They do. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back