San Jose, CA - Super Mini Meet?
Oct 25, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #16 of 66
This upcoming headphone meet has me so stoked I requested a day off work for it and lost some sleep last night in anticipation. So here's the list, (from what I gather) of 'phones we will be having at the meet:

Hifiman HE-560, modded, with home-built amp
Beyer. DT880 600 Ohm
Beyer. DT-1350
Shure SRH 940
SoundMagic HP-100
Grado SR60
Grado SR 225i (the latest version)
Audio Technica ATH-A900X
Yuin PK2 Earbuds
Etymotic HF5 earbuds
Senn. HD 558
Senn. HD 25-1 ii
Koss portal pro
Fostex TR50P
+ several amps

I won't bring my Grado SR 225i's unless someone requests them- does anyone want to try them out? Let me know.

Otherwise, I'll bring:
* Sennheiser HD 558
* Sennheiser HD 25 1-ii
* Koss Porta Pro

Oct 25, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #17 of 66
My HE-560 is bone-stock, by the way.

I've been thinking about modding them, but I don't think I would.

I bet jjcha has heard the HE-560 quite a lot now... from the last meet. But he hasn't heard my HE-560 setup yet. I'm hoping it'll surprise him.

So here's what I'll bring:

Headphones:
Audio Technica ATH-ES10
Audio Technica ATH-EC7
Hifiman HE-560

Amplifiers:
Yulong A28 (also for sale, so if anyone would like to pick it up...)
My DIY amp

DAC:
Fiio D3 (Wolfson version)
AMB Gamma2

Also thinking about adding something interesting, but we'll see.

Edit:

Yulong A28 gone, so if there is enough demand for it, I'll try to lug the McIntosh MAC 4100 integrated receiver along. The thing has 2 6.3mm plugs for headphone outputs, and speaker terminals if we want to go crazier.

Plus its headphone output is quite good, playing nicely even with my low-impedance dynamic headphones.

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #18 of 66
+ Jason (group leader), please tell us::
  1. would you please share your Sennheiser HD555, Sony Q010-MDR1, ATH-ES7, Stax SRX-Mk3, JH Audio JH13 Pro, B&W P5 for us to try out?
  2. would you please let us know if there will be enough space for a few of us to bring our own laptop + amp setup?
  3. and once we get closer to next Saturday, please confirm the time, and address (may be best to send that privately).
Hopefully we can share the cost of pizza, etc. too. Lookin' forward to it, everybody plan ahead so we can all make it!
k701smile.gif

Cool.  Let's do it.  Saturday, November 1st from 12 Noon to 5 PM.

There will be room for people to bring amps and other setups.  It's a modest three room office suite, currently fairly crammed up with stuff we can't be bothered to organize.  So not a ton of room, but should be enough for a mini meet of this size. 

I'll shoot out the address details to everyone in this thread and anyone who's PM'd me later this week.  Generally, the location is on Stevens Creek Boulevard, between Lawrence Expressway and Kiely Boulevard.  Technically San Jose, but I think of it as Santa Clara. 

The office building is behind this Round Table Pizza, for those of you who want to look up directions now.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/round-table-pizza-san-jose-37

Oct 27, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #19 of 66
I really wish I didn't work every Saturday, but I do. I'll still be keeping an eye out for future events that I can either schedule ahead of time, or Sunday meet ups. Sorry that I have to bow out of this one.  When I first posted, I didn't think a day had been confirmed yet.

Have fun and I'll get to one of them eventually!

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #20 of 66
Great, jjcha!

I've cleared up my schedule entirely for that day, and I'm not going to miss out even if I have to walk there.

Looking forward to hearing your headphones. My friend who attended the last meet had a lot of nice things to say about your setups, and it's making me curious because... no offense to him, but he's the hardest person to please with headphones as far as I know! So your gears must be very very special!

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #21 of 66
I may be cutting it close in terms of a go/no go from me. Trying to get the day off still. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 66
I'm interested as well if there's still room. I don't have much. If anything, I'll bring in:

PS Audio Digital Link III DAC (need to get my friend's permission first)
Headamp Gilmore Lite Headphone amp (need to get my friend's permission first)
Sennheiser HD800
Denon AH-D7000

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #23 of 66
OMG! The guy who was coming with the Fostex T50RP has canceled! I spent days of research before trying to figure out if they're worth the hassle of modding before I just gave up... if anybody else has any Fostex please try to bring it in.

Also the only guy with Grados may not be coming. So I have a request for Surburbanite: Yes please bring your Grado SR 225i - I've never tried any Grado B4.

And for gzone3lement: I / we would love to try your HD 800's too. I've read a lot of good (mostly) about them.

Finally, for anybody who is canceling due to work - Just think of it this way: 
Which is better: to spend many hundreds of dollars in the future randomly buying headphones you may / may not like, or taking a day off work to gain some first-hand insight?  
I'll see you all on Saturday, from Levi

Oct 27, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #24 of 66

And for gzone3lement: I / we would love to try your HD 800's too. I've read a lot of good (mostly) about them.

HD800 is definitely a great pair of headphones. It's colorwared (black and red). I'd love to see the HD800 and Qualia 010 together, haha.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 66

Cool.  Let's do it.  Saturday, November 1st from 12 Noon to 5 PM.

There will be room for people to bring amps and other setups.  It's a modest three room office suite, currently fairly crammed up with stuff we can't be bothered to organize.  So not a ton of room, but should be enough for a mini meet of this size. 

I'll shoot out the address details to everyone in this thread and anyone who's PM'd me later this week.  Generally, the location is on Stevens Creek Boulevard, between Lawrence Expressway and Kiely Boulevard.  Technically San Jose, but I think of it as Santa Clara. 

The office building is behind this Round Table Pizza, for those of you who want to look up directions now.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/round-table-pizza-san-jose-37

Hi jjcha,

I know you were looking to keep this small, but if there's room for one more let me know.  The date,time and place are all good for me. Thanks.

I have a couple of recent additions:
Harman Kardon CL (Classic) - interesting to compare against the V-MODA XS
Pendlumic Stance S1 (Bluetooth)

Oct 27, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #27 of 66
A shame I can't attend, maybe another time

Oct 27, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #28 of 66
Just a heads up - looks like this meeting is gonna been even radder than thought: I got word that No_One411 is gonna be bringing the HE-500 so now we can have the rare opportunity to compare the HE-500 to  HE-560! I'm just waiting on response from that member which 'phones he gonna bring too.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:33 AM Post #30 of 66
I have received confirmation by PM from member Jazzfan that he would bring these:

HiFiMAN HE-6
STAX SR-009/STAX SRM-727II
Audez'e LCD-2 Rev. 2
Harman Kardon CL

He is just waiting for confirmation from the group leader if there is still enough room for him to attend...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back