Samsung YP R1/R0
Mar 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

nonsupremous

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I guess these have been available in Europe for almost a year now, but I only heard of them yesterday when Samsung announced pricing and a supposed shipment date for these 2 PMP's.

I am curios as to what anyone thinks of these. I could find any threads concerning these players. Does anyone own them or has owned one of them and has any thoughts? They look interesting.

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:43 PM Post #2 of 14
Here is a review.
Samsung YP-R1 8GB Review - MP3 Reviews - TrustedReviews

But a user's comment really intrigue me,
"Mottlefeeder said on 2nd January 2010

To reply to Paul H - it does have music shuffle. You have to drill down to a particular track, and then you will get repeat and shuffle in the play options (three horizontal bars, looking like a stack). If you drill down by genre (e.g. Jazz), it will shuffle within that genre, if you drill down by artist, it will shuffle all that artist's tracks, and if you drill down by album, it will shuffle only the tracks of that album. - That's better than I expected."

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Sure sounds like an interesting player. I watched a youtube video made in France. Not sure if the U.S. versions will be exactly the same, but it looks like a great player. the pricing was also shocking.

Samsung really dropped the ball with the P3 in the U.S. They promised it to brick and mortar retailers for months....and finally fell through. I Fryes carried it, but that's it. Frye's isn't located in all major cities...so that was disappointing to say the least.

Supposedly these will be out next month, so we'll see.

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #4 of 14
It's a sweet little player if you make sure you don't buy one that's volume capped (as I first did!). It sort of reminds me of the Fuze, but with slightly less warmth and with a fractionally bigger soundstage.

Build quality is great for something so small. And although I never watch movies on my daps, the quality of the demo videos is really very good. FLAC support is a nice idea, but unfortunately it can't read the tags.

All the track titles are there, but no artist, no album and no album art. Plus you can't view WAV or FLAC through the music folder. You have to access them from the 'file browser' widget thing
biggrin.gif

But it's a nice little dap overall, decent sound, nice screen, responsive, and easy to make playlists. No gapless though.

Here's a pic with the Samsung on the left of the Touch and the Sony 808 on the right. It's really small but surprisingly sturdy.

sammyheadfi.jpg

Mar 10, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a sweet little player if you make sure you don't buy one that's volume capped (as I first did!). It sort of reminds me of the Fuze, but with slightly less warmth and with a fractionally bigger soundstage.

Thanks. the U.S. version will probably not be capped. People here enjoy the music loud.

How does the sound compare to your Sony X? I notice it has a 7 band EQ not a 5...overall, is it in the same neighborhood as the X on sound quality.

If it's close, the pricing is flat out a done deal for me!

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks. the U.S. version will probably not be capped. People here enjoy the music loud.

How does the sound compare to your Sony X? I notice it has a 7 band EQ not a 5...overall, is it in the same neighborhood as the X on sound quality.

If it's close, the pricing is flat out a done deal for me!

Only the French ones are volume capped, but I bought my first one from the UK without realising the store was using a French supplier. As far as sound quality is concerned, it's nice, clear and detailed, and I do prefer it slightly to the Fuze - but I still prefer my X for soundstage, power, and general enjoyment factor.

To be honest, I didn't expect to prefer it to my X. The R1 is what it is: a nice-sounding user-friendly dap with great video quality, nice build and a lovely screen. It's really simple to operate as well. Oh, and there are loads of EQ options too, which work pretty well.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #7 of 14
I have the Samsung P3, and the GenMP3 reviewer Iebellium (on ABI>>> also) says the R0/R1 both sound exactly like it. Translated, it means they sound excellent. If I didn't already have a P3 (from a fantastic seller from ABI>>>) I'd have gotten 1 of these.

Mar 10, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Samsung P3, and the GenMP3 reviewer Iebellium (on ABI>>> also) says the R0/R1 both sound exactly like it. Translated, it means they sound excellent. If I didn't already have a P3 (from a fantastic seller from ABI>>>) I'd have gotten 1 of these.

I haven't heard the P3 but I know someone who's heard both, and thinks the P3 has a noticeably bigger soundstage than the R1.

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the P3 but I know someone who's heard both, and thinks the P3 has a noticeably bigger soundstage than the R1.

Well, I'm glad I got me a 32gb P3 then (for $150.00 at that)
beerchug.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by nywytboy68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Forgive me for asking, but what is ABI?

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #13 of 14
for the size of an iPod nano (not thickness altho) it has a lot more features and better sq than it
16GB for about 190CAD in hongkong so its a good deal for me. one thing is the fact that theres standby time (when u shut it off) where the battery drains alot (faster boot time) and then it completely shuts down which then takes a while to boot up

Mar 14, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #14 of 14
I recently bought the Samsung YP-R1 from TJ Hughes for £65. The sound quality of this player is very good especially when the DNSE 3.0 eq is used and it has a better soundstage than the YP-Q1. However, my Sony X1060 still has the excellent sound quality to beat.

Art

Users who are viewing this thread

Back