Samsung vs Seagate
Jun 6, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #33 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
Does the fact that Samsungs have so much little storage capacity, they wont go past the 250GB, http://www.samsung.com/ca/products/h...es/sp2014n.asp, represent a problem since you'll need to stack many of them?

Amicalement

They do 300 and 400Gb 3 platter design now.
400Gb is not available in US yet, but sounds very promising with TMR (Tunneling Magento Resistance) technology they utilize.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...t_t133_series/
Worth the wait imo.

Jun 6, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #34 of 49
For me, HDD reliability is EVERYTHING. I've been through maybe hundred of HDDs, many many disasters, so now I'm using ONLY Seagate and will never look elsewhere...or at least not untill SG HDD turns me down.

Avoid WD and Maxtor!

580smile.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #36 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa
For me, HDD reliability is EVERYTHING. I've been through maybe hundred of HDDs, many many disasters, so now I'm using ONLY Seagate and will never look elsewhere...or at least not untill SG HDD turns me down.

Avoid WD and Maxtor!

580smile.gif

I'm not so sure about that. From my experience hard drive failures are almost random, having nothing really to do with the manufacturer. I know people who say seagates are reliable and have had many WD drives crash, while I know other people who swear by WD and refuse to buy other brands because they have experienced crashes. I don't see any trends, except that hard drives always crash at the most inconvenient times
evil_smiley.gif
. If you want my personal opinion, don't worry so much about what brand you're buying (unless it just makes you feel better) and instead invest in BACKING UP YOUR DATA!

The old adage is true: Data you haven't backed up is data you don't want.

Jun 7, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #37 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xakepa

Avoid WD and Maxtor!

580smile.gif

I would avoid Maxtor for more reasons than just the fear of quality control problems. Seagate is planning to significantly scale back Maxtor's operations. I believe Maxtor is about to be gutted. I too had terrible experiences with Maxtor drives, although I do know people who never had a Maxtor drive or WD drive crash on them yet.

Manufacturing defects will occur and will usually slip through QC check. There is always a chance an unlucky consumer will end up with a defective product and some people are just extremely unlucky. Having many bad experiences in a row with a specific manufacturer would probably change anyone's mind.

My recommendation is to buy what you feel more comfortable with or what fits your needs and budget best. Most people don't even think about the drive manufacturer. They just want that huge drive to hold their entire collection of illegally downloaded movies.

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:35 AM Post #38 of 49
Jun 7, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #39 of 49
i have 2 samsungs, had the same 60GB one for 5 years, its quiet and cool in comparison to the seagates and the western digitals i have used.

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptSnuffy
If you want my personal opinion, don't worry so much about what brand you're buying (unless it just makes you feel better) and instead invest in BACKING UP YOUR DATA!

The old adage is true: Data you haven't backed up is data you don't want.

Could not agree more.

There's another sound advice - do not turn/powersave/hibrenate your HDDs - keep them spinning all of the time, at the same (even high) temperature. I know many people will disagree, but I was making a living a while ago assembling and selling PCs and I'm talking from my expirience. We had a SG back only twice AFAIR (overheating), but WD ...maybe every 5-th drive sold was coming back in less than a year. SG QC is all but perfect. WD allways been bottom-dollar HDD.

I'm talking 1998-2000, maybe the things have changed since than...I'm only buying/using SG so I can't tell...

Good luck and MAKE BACKUPS!

Jun 7, 2006 at 5:43 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad
Sounds like a heck of a deal as far as GB/$, but it's IDE. What's the scoop on IDE vs. SATA, I thought SATA was faster? Big deal, not really? Will any motherboard pretty much work with either?

you jsut have to get a mobo with sata support. as for me i didnt have to use any floppy for sata detection. it just auto detect.

i have two western digital sata 2, running on raid0, and benchmark shows max reading speed at 174mb/sec and average at 140mb/sec. so atleast they are able to reach over ata150 speed. but claiming 3gb/s for sata 2 is simply ridiculous and false marketing. i dont think sata2 is any faster than sata1, they use the same cables for goodness sakes. (now maybe raid 0 allow it to run faster than 150mb/s, i wonder if it can acheive that at single configuration.)

i upgraded from ide and i do see improvements. by alot, since i get average of 56mb/sec from my wd ata100. i dont know about those 10k rpm ata133 ide harddrive, but i beleive they would get more noises so not my thing.

Jun 7, 2006 at 7:53 PM Post #42 of 49
I have two samsung spinpoints in my computer and I can't hear them at all. When you're looking at the two brands you're looking at I wouldn't worry too much about the warrenty. My friends and I have never had any problems with those brands, an dit's not because we don't abuse them and subject them to stress. The only hdd's I've heard of failing in our group have been maxtors. I had one fail on my myself. Anyway, thats 2 cents.

Jun 7, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT
They do 300 and 400Gb 3 platter design now.
400Gb is not available in US yet, but sounds very promising with TMR (Tunneling Magento Resistance) technology they utilize.
http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/12/...t_t133_series/
Worth the wait imo.

Thanks. I'll go look about the TMR technology now.

The more I wait to finalized my PC, becomming an end summer project, the more I sink into that stuff....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Jun 9, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #44 of 49
Not relevent to the OP, but TMR technology is not new to the disk drive industry. The other company listed in the title of this thread has been shipping drives with this technology for over a year.

Jun 9, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by utep10
Not relevent to the OP, but TMR technology is not new to the disk drive industry. The other company listed in the title of this thread has been shipping drives with this technology for over a year.

That's right, Segate started using it a while ago but for Samsung 400Gb T133 is the first one using that techology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back