Samsung T10, sounds like a four letter word, need recommendations for something else please!
Feb 14, 2008 at 12:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Venus In Furs

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I bought the Samsung T10 today because I was looking for a small player to take to work with me. I'd read some reviews describing its sound quality as average or a bit above average, and I thought that'd be fine for mobile/not paying full attention listening. Ugh, was I wrong! If this is average, I'd hate to hear what sub par sounds like.

I have a Creative Zen Vision:M that's been my faithful companion for a couple of years now, but I'd really like to carry something around that doesn't feel like a brick in my pocket while at work.

I don't know if I'm just used to the Creative sound or what, but the Samsung sounds like I'm listening underwater, and the details of the music are totally absent. For example, the first album I loaded onto the Samsung was The Velvet Underground's "Loaded" and on the song "Rock and Roll" the background vocals "and it was all right!" are barely audible, while on my Zen, they're crystal clear. Not to mention Sterling Morrison's beautiful guitar work seemed ruined, almost like it was playing from another room. I don't know if mp3 players benefit from a burn in period at all, but I don't think anything would help the T10. I EQed the hell out of it trying to make it sound half as good as my Zen flat.

I'm disappointed because I really wanted to like the T10. I think it has a lot of nice features, and it comes in PURPLE, my favorite color. But obviously, having a purple player is not worth crappy sound quality.

I'm basically looking for a DAP that sounds similar to my Zen:M, but more compact. I don't usually carry an amp with me, so I'll be using it unamped with my Pk2s or Senn eh350s. What do you guys think? Creative ZEN, Sansa Clip, Sansa View, something else? My budget's around $150-200 US (would rather keep it around 150).

I know you guys must get sick of these types of threads, but I'd appreciate any input or advice. Thank you!

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #3 of 13
I believe you have gotten used to Creative's sound signature.

You might wanna try Creative Zen, its light,sounds good(to me),high capacity and its very affordable.

Feb 14, 2008 at 1:27 AM Post #4 of 13
I have a Creative Zen Vision M too (and a Zune and a Sony A816), and I suggest the Sony A816, which has 4GB of space, and great sound. THey are around $130 on Amazon. Highly recommended. I'd suggest a 4GB Zune, but I heard their SQ wasn't as good as the HD versions.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #5 of 13
don't get a zune unless you are prepared for a software nightmare. worst software i have ever used in my entire life. if i had to use the zune software (which you do if you buy one) i wouldn't use a zune if it were given to me for free.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:35 AM Post #6 of 13
Yeah, a friend of mine has a Zune and he says the software is a disaster. I've heard that a lot. I'm going to load a ton of different albums onto the T10 and see if I was too rash in my judgment of it. Perhaps I really am too used to the Creative sound. I know the Vision isn't the "best" sounding player out there, but I think it sounds great, and the difference between it and the T10 was startling upon first listening. I'm going to sleep on it and see if I can get used to the sound. If not, it's probably a toss up between the new ZEN and the Sony.
Thanks for all your help everyone.
biggrin.gif

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 13
You're greatly overstating the Zune software issues. There are plenty of Zune users who have managed to muddle through using the software (which was just updated to 2.3). To say no one should get one because of the software is wrong-headed information. It may not be for you, but plenty of other people are happily using the Zune, irrespective of the software.

In all honesty, for me, the Zune software is working fine, in fact. A couple of small annoyances, but I actually like the interface, and they have improved the tagging problems. Anyway, no one recommeded the Zune anyway. I recommended the Sony DAP for the OP, since he is looking for a small player.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Venus In Furs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, a friend of mine has a Zune and he says the software is a disaster. I've heard that a lot. I'm going to load a ton of different albums onto the T10 and see if I was too rash in my judgment of it. Perhaps I really am too used to the Creative sound. I know the Vision isn't the "best" sounding player out there, but I think it sounds great, and the difference between it and the T10 was startling upon first listening. I'm going to sleep on it and see if I can get used to the sound. If not, it's probably a toss up between the new ZEN and the Sony.
Thanks for all your help everyone.
biggrin.gif

See my last post. I would not recommend the 4 or 8 GB Zune, based on sound considerations (people report the smaller Zunes don't sound as good as the HD version). But while the software has much to be desired, the Zune SQ crushes the ZVM in my view, and again, I have both. But, get the Sony.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Creative ZEN, Sansa Clip, Sansa View, something else? My budget's around $150-200 US (would rather keep it around 150).

I know you guys must get sick of these types of threads, but I'd appreciate any input or advice. Thank you!

Give the Clip a try, it’s a great little player and soon they'll have it in 4GB. I bought the 2GB one on black Friday to test the unit and I'm very impressed with the sound quality, size and performance. The latest fw (1.01.20a) has user selectable msc or mtp, ID3 browsing, audio formats: MP3, WMA, WAV, Audible, fm radio & recording, voice recording, sleep timer, EQ & it’s inexpensive
880smile-1.png

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recommended the Sony DAP for the OP, since he is looking for a small player.

I'm a she.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd like to revise my opinion that the T10 sounds like a four letter word. In fact, it actually sounds pretty good. I'd also like to add that I'm an idiot. I guess I had a brain fart and forgot the cardinal rule of music devices. I went to plug in my amp to test the T10 with my 595s to see if it would sound any better, when I discovered the plug for my headphones wasn't completely inserted. The jack on the T10 is a bit of a tight fit at first. I guess that would explain that far away, underwater sound and lack of detail. How embarrassing.
redface.gif

I'm happy to say that the T10 sounds good with Senn 595s, eh350s, PX100s and Yuin Pk2s.
biggrin.gif

I know there's better sound out there, and the Sony players still intrigue me. I might still test it out and see if I like it better. For sure, I'm picking one of those 4 gig Sansa clips when it is released. I've been curious about the clips for a while.

Thanks again for all the help.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 13
Sorry about the gender bending. That's great that it was just a plug issue. Funny thing is, I was checking out the T10 for the bluetooth connectivity (for if and when they make high-quality IEMs for bluetooth that don't cost a small fortune or look like big, black squares). And the ratings were pretty strong. So I was surprised to read about your problems. But all is good now. Glad you got it down.

Quote:

I'm a she.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd like to revise my opinion that the T10 sounds like a four letter word. In fact, it actually sounds pretty good. I'd also like to add that I'm an idiot. I guess I had a brain fart and forgot the cardinal rule of music devices. I went to plug in my amp to test the T10 with my 595s to see if it would sound any better, when I discovered the plug for my headphones wasn't completely inserted. The jack on the T10 is a bit of a tight fit at first. I guess that would explain that far away, underwater sound and lack of detail. How embarrassing.
redface.gif

I'm happy to say that the T10 sounds good with Senn 595s, eh350s, PX100s and Yuin Pk2s.
biggrin.gif

I know there's better sound out there, and the Sony players still intrigue me. I might still test it out and see if I like it better. For sure, I'm picking one of those 4 gig Sansa clips when it is released. I've been curious about the clips for a while.

Thanks again for all the help.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 13
@venus: how does the sound of t10 compare to zen:M? How is the bass? The most important with me is the bass because i must live with ad900 a bass shy headphone, and i'm not satisfy. I'm planning to buy a new mp3 player and t10 is quite cheap here, if the bass is good maybe i will try it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back