Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Jun 4, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #436 of 452
Then probably I will invest in a Q1 for now and later I will consider something in a higher price range for desktop/home use. I will also go test the Audioquest Dragonfly Black see how it goes

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #437 of 452
Then probably I will invest in a Q1 for now and later I will consider something in a higher price range for desktop/home use. I will also go test the Audioquest Dragonfly Black see how it goes
I think there's still a few Q1 MKIs up on ebay for a good price; I like how mine goes with the Neo in terms of sound quality/character matching if that helps any. The MKII seems very under powered by comparison unless you're using the balanced output, which you're not; so I'd avoid the MKII and go for the MKI since it's about 2.5 times as powerful for some strange reason.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #438 of 452
Why does the mk2 have the HighRes tag on it and Q1 doesn't? Or is it irrelevant?

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #439 of 452
Fwiw these are my two favorite devices to pair with the S8 to get good sound qu and still keeping the phone features:

20180529_210542.jpg
20180424_153420.jpg

As for the Hi-res sticker it's irrelevant :wink:

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:22 PM Post #440 of 452
I think there's still a few Q1 MKIs up on ebay for a good price; I like how mine goes with the Neo in terms of sound quality/character matching if that helps any. The MKII seems very under powered by comparison unless you're using the balanced output, which you're not; so I'd avoid the MKII and go for the MKI since it's about 2.5 times as powerful for some strange reason.
Isnt it because you doesnt use a player that supports the external DAC, like the USB Player Pro?

Jun 4, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #441 of 452
Why does the mk2 have the HighRes tag on it and Q1 doesn't? Or is it irrelevant?
it supports DSD playback, which is pointless if you don't play DSD files...it's just marketing/a pretty sticker. I'll put it this way, the MKI measures at 190mw of power at 32ohms, while the mkII measures in at a tiny 75mw at 32ohms through the 3.5mm jack and a nice 220mw at 32ohms only through the balanced 2.5mm jack...that's kind of crap and I feel like they really, really wanted to focus on the whole balanced thing and sort of hung the rest of us out to dry. That's the whole reason why I didn't upgrade to the MKII and still cling to the MKI...the thing is really under powered through the 3.5mm jack and sort of pointless unless you run balanced cables and are into that whole racket to actually use it to its fullest.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #442 of 452
I see.. how does the line out of the Q1 sound like?

Jun 4, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #443 of 452
I see.. how does the line out of the Q1 sound like?
It'll amplify the signal of whatever pretty well, but it's not enough to save the S8's crappy stock sound/dac. Definitely want to run it through the usb connection and use the dac too; it's also louder this way for some reason.

Jul 24, 2018 at 4:06 AM Post #444 of 452
Hello, guys! I am looking for a good Bluetooth headset for my Galaxy S8 (something like Apple Earpods). I have found some reviews on a bunch of earbuds, however, none of them takes into account Galaxy S8 and bluetooth codecs available. My understanding that Aptx HD is not available in S8.. (what samsung hd is i have no idea). Essentially it leaves us with Sony's LDAC for sony headset or
I usually walk or bike to work so I listen to the music and I talk to friends and clients from the office and from the streets.
So the requirements for the earbuds:
  • good sound (not necessarily the best, but pretty good),
  • good microphone
  • the ability to switch between my s8 and macbook at work.
After some reading, I think the best earbuds out there are: Samsung gear iconx 2018 (for general features and reliability) and sony wf1000-x for better sounds quality with LDAC and noise cancellation.

If anyone has any experience using or testing different models, I would really appreciate your input!

Jul 26, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #445 of 452
I have been joyfully using the Bragi "the headphone" with my s8 for gym and sometimes in the office when i dont want to deal with wires and it works pretty flawlessly. I think of all the bluetooth truly wireless models ive heard its the most balanced. The downside here is the button configuration that pushes the iem into your ears. You also lose out on the waterproofing, heart rate sensor, and touch screen of its bigger sibling, but you get better battery life (the case has no battery though, which the Pro does.)

I had the Bragi Dash too but the first gen was pretty lackluster in terms of longevity(I bought a refurbished one on groupon and it died after 6 months). The experience was amazing and i miss it so much im considering grabbing the new Pro version. The new Pro version is supposed to be really reliable. I loved the Dash when i had it until the right side died. Those problems are apparently fixed. The touch screen controls are super.

Other than that if you like a bassier sound the Nuforce be5 have had good reviews.

Sony's new one the wf1000x is supposedly very good in all aspects, but has a very consumer sound signature. The downside here is how much it protrudes from your ears.

The samsung iconx have terrible battery life and i ehar the reliability of the connection isnt that great.

Jul 30, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #446 of 452
Hello, guys! I am looking for a good Bluetooth headset for my Galaxy S8 (something like Apple Earpods). I have found some reviews on a bunch of earbuds, however, none of them takes into account Galaxy S8 and bluetooth codecs available. My understanding that Aptx HD is not available in S8.. (what samsung hd is i have no idea). Essentially it leaves us with Sony's LDAC for sony headset or
I usually walk or bike to work so I listen to the music and I talk to friends and clients from the office and from the streets.
So the requirements for the earbuds:
  • good sound (not necessarily the best, but pretty good),
  • good microphone
  • the ability to switch between my s8 and macbook at work.
After some reading, I think the best earbuds out there are: Samsung gear iconx 2018 (for general features and reliability) and sony wf1000-x for better sounds quality with LDAC and noise cancellation.

If anyone has any experience using or testing different models, I would really appreciate your input!
I've been using the IconX for more than 4 months now. I really enjoy them but 99% of the time I'm using them it's for youtube/podcasts. If I'm listening to music, I always use my cans/iems. With that, music still sounds really good for what they are. A bit bassy and narrow soundstage but that's the tradeoff for convenience, You can store music on them locally and also tune them with an EQ via the android app.

If you do get them, I'd go to a Samsung Store (in a Best Buy) and see what their return policy is. They work fine with my ears but there are times when the auto sensors think I've taken them out and it'll stop playback. If it happens to you a lot, it'd be great to have a physical place to return them to.

Edit: just saw you're from Belarus, meaning no Best Buy (American chain). This should help though https://www.google.com/search?sourc......0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.QG3A24SAPJc

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #447 of 452
I have my fostex th-x00 ph's plugged straight into my s8+ and they sound great. The sound resolution was poor at first, but I turned on the uhq upscaler and that made a huge improvement, and they now sound great. Tested it with high quality music on YouTube. I dont have any other sound options enabled except for the uhq upscaler.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:56 AM Post #449 of 452
Hello,
I think about maybe buy the Samsung S8.
Does it support usb DAC as Mojo or encore mDAC?
Will use neutron or UAPP with theses Dac.
And which cable can I buy?

Thanks for the help
I used mojo with S8, to say any android supports driverless dacs for sure. I used Onkyo music player and it sounds already great to my ears. Are you planning to carrying the mojo around in your pocket with the s8? Then please dont even try to do that. Its good as a transportable setup, for a portable setup, you need something like the hidiz sonata, or the VE odessey, anything bigger is cubersome, to me even dragonfly is a cubersome setup.

Feb 27, 2019 at 5:16 PM Post #450 of 452
I have my fostex th-x00 ph's plugged straight into my s8+ and they sound great. The sound resolution was poor at first, but I turned on the uhq upscaler and that made a huge improvement, and they now sound great. Tested it with high quality music on YouTube. I dont have any other sound options enabled except for the uhq upscaler.

I just would like to reiterate how much the uhq upscaler option improves sound quality. Had it accidentally turned off and thought something was bad wrong with my thx00, sounded worse than even the crappiest earbuds you can buy. Flipped it back on and, wow, BIG difference. Really big. Improved sound quality drastically and, quite honestly, quite shockingly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back