Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Mar 9, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #406 of 452
The S8 no. Not at all. The G6 yes. with the exception of the bass (which is terrific on the Hugo 2) and some differences here and there, a bit better fidelity that need an A/B to tell.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #407 of 452
The SQ is very good , close to chord mojo i think. Use it with Sennheiser HD600, AKG 712 pro and DT770 Pro 32 ohm. Loud enough for me. See that next version of the dac even better , https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs43131/. So great news for Samsung S9
  • Improved output level up to 2 VRMS into 600 Ω headphones
  • Evolved performance: THD+N increased from -108 dB to -115 dB
  • Increased hi-fi DSD playback rate from DSD128 to DSD256
So now that I have the exynos s9+ it looks like it has the cs43131 DAC as it is louder than my s8, a bit bassier/punchier and plays 256dsd files on UAP

Mar 12, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #408 of 452
Not sure I fully understand all you write?

Are you suggesting the sound reproduction for either the Samsung S8 or the LG V30 is close to the same quality etc as a DAP costing 2,000€?

Ryland
Not sure I fully understand all you write?

Are you suggesting the sound reproduction for either the Samsung S8 or the LG V30 is close to the same quality etc as a DAP costing 2,000€?

Ryland
He meant the v30 sounds close close to a high end DAC. It's camera is close to the best camera on a phone. For the consumer v30 is a win. If your are on a budget for with v30 you are not missing much. I wish phones had a feature to act as a Bluetooth receiver too. So I can use them the higher quality dac for a TV even. But unfortunatley it doesn't work that way.

Mar 12, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #409 of 452
Oh man.. I have G6 europe version without Quad DAC and I was thinking to buy Galaxy S8. I borrowed the S8 Exynos from my friend to test headphone jack performance using my Marshall Monitor headphones. I got some better sound with my G6. Also AMP is more powerful on G6. After all this I don't think I will go for S8, maybe G6 with Quad Dac or V30.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #410 of 452
Oh man.. I have G6 europe version without Quad DAC and I was thinking to buy Galaxy S8. I borrowed the S8 Exynos from my friend to test headphone jack performance using my Marshall Monitor headphones. I got some better sound with my G6. Also AMP is more powerful on G6. After all this I don't think I will go for S8, maybe G6 with Quad Dac or V30.
Anyways, Samsung never said anything special about their headphone jack output. It has good quality for a non audiophile marketed product imo. The G6 was made with audiophiles also in mind. Did you try volume match in comparison? I felt the s8 sounded really good, with sensitive earphones, as they lack power. But they sounded very clean to my ears. I never listened any LG devices so far. If it sounds better than a sub 200 bucks DAP its already a winner!

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:07 AM Post #411 of 452
I think you need to prioritise what your needs are. Mobile phone....the Samsung S8 range leave the LG range dead in the water. Music reproduction..........Take the LG V30. I

Ryland

I'm at a loss on this one. I can only comment regarding the V30+ as not had any LG previously but this does everything that the S8 does as a smartphone. I never use front cameras (selfies) but I believe that's the only significant downgrade compared to S8.

The camera is meant to be better on the S8 but I have no issue with camera quality and a big plus is the wide-angle 2nd lens. One really nice surprise is battery life seems to last for ages & especially standby battery drain is low.

I'd be interested for example of where you think S8 leaves V30 "In The Water" ??

I get puzzled by the mobile phone camera attraction? THE most important part of a mobile phone these days is clearly the camera to the exclusion of other functions. To me IF a camera is that important I would buy a dedicated camera. Same logic applies to music. I think it unrealistic to expect a mobile phone to be all things to all men.
I

Ryland

You must be that last 5% then. For last decade or more most people have been wanting to carry one low weight device with a battery that lasts all day or more with plenty of storage for all our media with a big enough screen to browse web nicely and consume content plus double up as an excellent camera and music player.

Only reason I'd want take another camera is if I was using an SLR with multiple lenses. No way I want a dedicated music player or bulky external DAC's if the phone itself can sound as good (or 95% of best) and drive most headphones with good authority.

The V30 is nearest to this goal yet in my opinion. If the S9 included the wide-angle camera & the LG DAC then I would have jumped on the S9 ignoring fact it would cost me a few hundred more than the LG V30 now.

Its only because 95% of users are perfectly happy with say sub £100 earphones that the S8 (and likely S9) sound fine. I too was happy enough with the S8 sound quality using my SE846 IEM's even though there was some background hiss. No chance the S8 directly driving my HD660S with authority. The V30/V30+ drives everything I've tried nicely.

My biggest issue with phones now is fingerprint reader on the back. Can't wait until they integrate with the screen itself. I'm also finding the V30 fingerprint sensor much more accurate/responsive than the S8 too plus easier to locate.

Even allows double tap of the screen to switch out of standby which I loved on my Z5. Samsung doesn't do that.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #412 of 452
I'm at a loss on this one. I can only comment regarding the V30+ as not had any LG previously but this does everything that the S8 does as a smartphone. I never use front cameras (selfies) but I believe that's the only significant downgrade compared to S8.

The camera is meant to be better on the S8 but I have no issue with camera quality and a big plus is the wide-angle 2nd lens. One really nice surprise is battery life seems to last for ages & especially standby battery drain is low.

I'd be interested for example of where you think S8 leaves V30 "In The Water" ??

You must be that last 5% then. For last decade or more most people have been wanting to carry one low weight device with a battery that lasts all day or more with plenty of storage for all our media with a big enough screen to browse web nicely and consume content plus double up as an excellent camera and music player.

Only reason I'd want take another camera is if I was using an SLR with multiple lenses. No way I want a dedicated music player or bulky external DAC's if the phone itself can sound as good (or 95% of best) and drive most headphones with good authority.

The V30 is nearest to this goal yet in my opinion. If the S9 included the wide-angle camera & the LG DAC then I would have jumped on the S9 ignoring fact it would cost me a few hundred more than the LG V30 now.

Its only because 95% of users are perfectly happy with say sub £100 earphones that the S8 (and likely S9) sound fine. I too was happy enough with the S8 sound quality using my SE846 IEM's even though there was some background hiss. No chance the S8 directly driving my HD660S with authority. The V30/V30+ drives everything I've tried nicely.

My biggest issue with phones now is fingerprint reader on the back. Can't wait until they integrate with the screen itself. I'm also finding the V30 fingerprint sensor much more accurate/responsive than the S8 too plus easier to locate.

Even allows double tap of the screen to switch out of standby which I loved on my Z5. Samsung doesn't do that.

Taken from a review from the Verge.
Quote...............

"Like its predecessors, the LG V30 is a phone designed to appeal to spec lovers first, though with its pretty aesthetic and great ergonomics it could have stood a chance of attracting a more mainstream audience as well. But the story of LG smartphones has always been a matter of “could have” and “should have.” It’s not that LG phones aren’t improving every year — they are, and they continue to offer cutting-edge spec sheets with each new iteration — but the improvements the company is making seem to always be accompanied by self-inflicted wounds. The LG G5 was a nice step up in design over the G4, but LG hamstrung it with a poorly conceived and quickly aborted modular accessory system. The G6 got better again, but it too lacked the final polishing touch to outshine Samsung’s more accomplished designs.

The V30 arrives half a year after the G6 and, at first blush, appears to rectify everything that ailed LG’s devices of the past. But LG rushed to put an imperfect OLED screen in its flagship phone, preferring to have the highlight spec over the superior user experience, and I can’t condone either the choice or the eventual product. This is a phone that has given me goosebumps with the astonishing quality of its headphone audio, and if I was reviewing it on the strength of music playback alone, I would say it’s one of the best media players on the market. But this is supposed to be a smartphone. And as a smartphone, the LG V30 fails to validate its high price and flagship status."

I am mindful we may get into trouble with the mods here. This is not a mobile phone forum. I strongly suggest you take a look at the XDA forum and read the threads with regard the SGS8 range and the LG V30.
LG is heamorrhaging money with its mobile phone division. The V30 is arguably its best mobile to date and without questions is the number one in terms of sound reproduction from its headphone jack. LG has an awful long way to go before they catch up with the massive popular Samsung range. The S8 and now S9 range seem to perform most tasks very well and even excel in many areas.
I can but write ad nauseam that the LG V 30 produces the most acceptable sound stage available to date from a mobile phone. Apart from that several other brands are far more advanced in terms of producing mobile phones as a complete package device with something to please most consumers.
BTW I am far from happy with Samsung. I would dearly love to purchase another brand. Problem is I use the S-pen on the Note 8 and no other mobile yet comes close to achieving the S-pen experience for me. In terms of music I top Samsung, LG and every other mobile phone brand by using an external DAC, the Oppo HA2 SE. In doing so I have a pocket PC with mouse (the S-pen) and exceptional mobile sound stage with the Oppo or the Teac HA-P50SE that is also superb.

The LG V30 deserved to sell better than it did. It is a flagship mobile phone. Its major flaw is the display. The display being the most important factor and its what we use to active all other functions of a mobile phone.

Ryland

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:25 AM Post #413 of 452
I read about screen concern. They must have fixed issue now as mine is perfectly good.

Its your views as someone who had used it I was interested in, not some reviewer who maybe a fanboy or have a vested interest in Samsung. Also if not into high-end audio I'd likely still pick an S9 as I have other Samsung stuff including GearVR etc.

Anyway, I will get an S9 too as I look after phones for my employer so usually get to use most anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #415 of 452
The SGS9 will still not compare with the sound stage produced by the LG V30. What exactly are you looking for? A mobile phone or DAP?

Ryland

Already had DAP's and DAC's, most recently HA2SE; DFR; Mojo; ZX2; ZX300; X5III; DX200, and even a Hugo 2 for a week.

Pursuit is always to aim for Hugo2 quality in a phone. V30+ cant do that but IMO, is close or even better than the other DAC/DAP's I mentioned with upto 300 ohm headphones anyway.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #416 of 452
Pursuit is always to aim for Hugo2 quality in a phone.

I would suggest that is not on the cards even in the distant future. The physical construction and materials used plus the design and layout of said internal components would make any mobile phone twice the size it is today. Just look at the size of most DAP's also portable headphone amplifiers like the Oppo HA 2SE. The oppo is the same size as a medium sized mobile phone yet is basically only an external amplifier with DAC. The protection of the circuits, keeping amp away from DAC needs space, materials and size a major concern.

We can dream though, we can but dream....

BTW your sennheiser headphones may well sound okay playing through a mobile or even external amp'-DAC as I play BUT to hear the best available reproduction of sound for the senns' one needs a home amp set up. Its an incremental scale in terms of performance.

Ryland

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #417 of 452
Hence a Pursuit/ Target. The HS2SE is twice as thick as it needs to be due to its battery. My Dragonfly Red sounds better than the HA2SE and that's only size of a USB stick.

A Mojo is also big battery plus a big metal heat-sync body to cool the energy inefficient FFPGA chip that Chord use rather than having custom chips created. Mainstream large volume pulls down cost/size/power use.

I was using HD800 and then HD660S out of the Hugo2, no need for external amp and I'd say the HD660S out of V30 is nearly as good. You would need to be in a silent room concentrating on every note/word to tell the difference. I'm into enjoyment of music rather than clinical/technical pursuits. The £1000+ HD800 did nothing for me and was replaced with HD660S which I really like.

Anyway, not sure if you've even had/heard a V30 so no point in trying to convince you. The S8/S9 will be perfectly fine for 95% of users that's for sure.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #418 of 452
Hence a Pursuit/ Target. The HS2SE is twice as thick as it needs to be due to its battery. My Dragonfly Red sounds better than the HA2SE and that's only size of a USB stick.

A Mojo is also big battery plus a big metal heating-sync body to cool the energy inefficient FFPGA chip that Chord use rather than having custom chips created. Mainstream large volume pulls down cost/size/power use.

I was using HD800 and then HD660S out of the Hugo2, no need for external amp and I'd say the HD660S out of V30 is nearly as good. You would need to be in a silent room concentrating on every note/word to tell the difference. I'm into enjoyment of music rather than clinical/technical pursuits. The £1000+ HD800 did nothing for me and was replaced with HD660S which I really like.

Anyway, not sure if you've even had/heard a V30 so no point in trying to convince you. The S8/S9 will be perfectly fine for 95% of users that's for sure.

I respect your opinion. I don't think we are going to agree on things in general so lets agree just to disagree. All good here. Nice to have debated with you.

Kind regards

Ryland

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #419 of 452
I respect your opinion. I don't think we are going to agree on things in general so lets agree just to disagree. All good here. Nice to have debated with you.

Kind regards

Ryland

Just final question. Have you used/heard the V30/V30+ ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back