Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #301 of 452
is it good pairing s8+ with AQ Dragonfly Red, I considering buy that for my s8+ too.
thanks

NPWS,

When you pair a phone with something like the Oppo HA-2, Chord Mojo, or AQ DragonFly Red, you have to understand that it's not a "mixing" of anything really. Once you connect the DragonFly Red to the S8+, the Red, like ALL dac/amp devices, automatically takes over or supersedes the S8+'s audio circuitry. So essentially it gets "benched" and the Red takes over EVERYTHING (aside from volume control, but the max volume will be greater with the Red connected). So there's no need to ask such a question anymore. The question you WANT to ask from now on is "Does (whatever device) offer great sound quality and a strong amp"?

Jul 22, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #302 of 452

Audio​

Sounds coming in clear​

Audio enthusiasts rejoice: you can hear the music as it's meant to be heard because Galaxy S8 and S8+ feature high-quality 32-bit PCM and DSD64/128 playback support. Plus, the included new earphones not only offer pure sound by AKG, they fit better and your ears stay comfortable as you rock out.​

*DSD64 and DSD128 playback can be limited depending on the file format.​

I did an unofficial comparison between iphone and s8.
My s8 is snapdragon 835 so dac is most probably aqustic and all sound features off with flat eq both
Iphone is 6s
Used fiio e12 amp
First i compared its volume driving capacity, its shoulder to shoulder though. But so many distortions in s8
I did 100% volume in device and 75% amp

Then i did comparison in clarity.
I figured high volume doesnt do very well in s8. Iphone is strong thoughout the volume.
I did 60% device and 50% amp with gain on.
S8 performed very well. May be a bit better than iphone. I liked how it sounded.
BUT! I heard a small noise in s8. Iphone was clean.
Then i turned on the uhq upscale. The noise was gone.
I guess snap aqstic s8 perform good at around 60% volume and with uhq upscale.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #303 of 452
Can anyone please compare between S8+ exynos dac vs Nexum Aqua (Wolfson WM8533 dac) ? I've read somewhere that the native s8+ dac is good, how does this compare to Nexum one? (I'm only starting to experience to phone audio so please excuse any mistakes :D)

Aug 7, 2017 at 4:41 AM Post #305 of 452
I did an unofficial comparison between iphone and s8.
My s8 is snapdragon 835 so dac is most probably aqustic and all sound features off with flat eq both
Iphone is 6s
Used fiio e12 amp
First i compared its volume driving capacity, its shoulder to shoulder though. But so many distortions in s8
I did 100% volume in device and 75% amp

Then i did comparison in clarity.
I figured high volume doesnt do very well in s8. Iphone is strong thoughout the volume.
I did 60% device and 50% amp with gain on.
S8 performed very well. May be a bit better than iphone. I liked how it sounded.
BUT! I heard a small noise in s8. Iphone was clean.
Then i turned on the uhq upscale. The noise was gone.
I guess snap aqstic s8 perform good at around 60% volume and with uhq upscale.
I too felt the s8's dac to be really good but the amp lacks power to drive. My previous player was a fiio x5ii and xduoo x10, currently I have a jds labs c5d dac amp. On volume matching at very low volume I can't tell a difference between the s8 and the c5d. Detail level is superb, with a surprisingly great 3d soundstage. I have I an iPhone 5 /5s /se (work and personal phones), iPad air2 and an iPod nano 7th gen. All apples sound louder. But I felt s8 is more true to original (boring). On keeping it at 60 percent and using c5d as an amp it simply kills all the other devices. None of the apples j have the extended treble resp of the s8. I used using b and o h6 gen 1 to compare these and dthey respond well to highs . But if you are a senn momentum or lower user you May not notice the air as to me they all have nice rounded highs.

Aug 7, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #306 of 452
I would disagree if they are tuned by AKG. Tuning is the key that make earphones sound great or not (drivers secondary).

Guys really? Samsung owns AKG.

The buds are ... ok. Much better than stock apple earbuds, but thats about it. A bit harsh / strident in the highs, doesn't take a lot of gain to push distortion. If I don't listen to better transducers before the S8 buds, they are fine. They certainly don't lack bass, but its a bit muddy.

If I listen to better transducers before the buds, my head needs about 2 or 3 songs "burn in" and then the buds sound fine again.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #307 of 452
NPWS,

When you pair a phone with something like the Oppo HA-2, Chord Mojo, or AQ DragonFly Red, you have to understand that it's not a "mixing" of anything really. Once you connect the DragonFly Red to the S8+, the Red, like ALL dac/amp devices, automatically takes over or supersedes the S8+'s audio circuitry. So essentially it gets "benched" and the Red takes over EVERYTHING (aside from volume control, but the max volume will be greater with the Red connected). So there's no need to ask such a question anymore. The question you WANT to ask from now on is "Does (whatever device) offer great sound quality and a strong amp"?
Don't you need OTG cable for phone to DAC? I did with my Note 2. Is that still the case with the S8?

Aug 11, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #308 of 452
Don't you need OTG cable for phone to DAC? I did with my Note 2. Is that still the case with the S8?

Hi java,

If it's an Android phone, yeah I think you do (Apple, no).

When I had my Oppo HA-2, I used this OTG cable to connect to it. But at this point if I were ever to go back to using an amp/DAC device again, I would more than likely go with something even more portable and just as good sounding (if not better), like the AudioQuest DragonFly Red. This would require getting an updated cable with USB-C like this one that would be compatible with the Red. I have the HTC 10 right now, so because it's a proven audiophile phone, at this time I don't need an amp/DAC device (the 10 matched if not outdid my $299 HA-2!), so I sold my HA-2 months ago. But Samsung isn't known for its great audio quality, so I'd definitely recommend anyone with a Samsung phone to get the Red immediately (or at least the Black).

Hope that helps!

Aug 11, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #309 of 452
S8 Exynos actually sounds really good if you use efficient IEM's but not much amp power for many hesdphones.

If using very sensitive IEM's like my SE846's then you can hear a bit of hiss in the background. For critical listening I use my DF Red with it but when out & about in noiser environments I find straight out of phone is fine.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2017 at 6:24 PM Post #310 of 452
S8 Exynos actually sounds really good if you use efficient IEM's but not much amp power for many hesdphones.

If using very sensitive IEM's like my SE846's then you can hear a bit of hiss in the background. For critical listening I use my DF Red with it but when out & about in noiser environments I find straight out of phone is fine.

Yeah, for IEMs they're ok volume-wise but I was referring to both volume AND quality-wise too. Even on IEMs you'd still want a good amp/DAC device in the mix for best results, esp if they are more expensive IEMs.

Cool. That's good that you have the DF Red for when you need it. Yeah in noisier environments I guess you'd have to go with ANC, but that's only if it's really THAT noisy. lol If don't want ANC, then yeah either way the experience is compromised by the louder volume, so doesn't matter.

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #311 of 452
Hi Everyone!

I am rookie here. So, I would like to refer your thoughts regarding to the DSD playback on my Samsung S8 (Exynos variant). While I am playing the DSD music file on Pulsa+ (or Google Play Music) and wanna to manipulate the sound setting at UHQ upscale in Sound Quality and Effects however, it pops up "The Sound effect is not supported by the DSD sound source" and all option's toggles are dim and unavailable. At the meanwhile, when I play the same DSD files by PowerAMP alfa built 704, it's still available to adjust in Sound Quality and Effect setting.

My thought is:
- The Cirrus Logic Dac CS43130 is fully in-charges to handle DSD playback while playing by Pulsar+ or Google Play Music, likely the bit-perfect so we can not intervene. Is that right ?

I am looking for your ideas about this case.

Aug 14, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #312 of 452
Even the Samsung Music app doesn't allow any effects when playing DSD. Not sure.

With UAPP if you normally select DSD mode to "Native DSD" with a DAC that doesn't support native you get an error. By setting "Native DSD" & "Played through Android" it still plays but file shown is DSD 2.8 MHz 1 bit but Android playback showing as 176400kHz. Can alter EQ with UAPP but then the App bypasses Android audio anyway.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2017 at 9:53 AM Post #313 of 452
Thanks for your reply.

I think the internal DAC of S8 (Cirrus CS43130) support to play the native DSD.

Just wanna to share with you that the Samsung S8/+ is made and assembled in a giga factory where is only 30 miles from my home and my younger bros is also the engineer in it but I have not got any confirmed info. about its audio chip. Just find-out on the internet source.

Even the Samsung Music app doesn't allow any effects when playing DSD. Not sure.

With UAPP if you normally select DSD mode to "Native DSD" with a DAC that doesn't support native you get an error. By setting "Native DSD" & "Played through Android" it still plays but file shown is DSD 2.8 MHz 1 bit but Android playback showing as 176300kHz

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #314 of 452
never considered phoens to be audiophile material but i always had exynos N/S series and always used them with some EQ then bought the OPPO HA-2 to get rid of the EQs howeer i dont think thats portable enough so my DAC is just sitting in a box atm. Back to Smasung paired with the bundled AKG, what a horrible sound, too much bass and the mids and trebles dont play well theres some rollover. So i put mu Shure se215, sound is great, knowing that the shures are quite bass heavy, great combo none the less. Next i tried the S8 with my Westone W40, and yes this is something different i just love the sound, the loudness, the crispnes of the voices etc, but i thought i can get a better sound so i tried the Adapt sound feature which im familiar with but i always had it off. Now after the hearing test it seems i can hear some low freq, i'm assuming it changes the EQ?it has been asked many times here but theres no edfinitve answer it seems, can someone make a comparison with frequency curve?

Aug 24, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #315 of 452
I've just found out that the S8's DAC (exynos) is CS47L93 (in fact, it's an audio codec chip). Some South Korean's source say this DAC is similar to CS4399 or CS43130 but no one could confirm.

never considered phoens to be audiophile material but i always had exynos N/S series and always used them with some EQ then bought the OPPO HA-2 to get rid of the EQs howeer i dont think thats portable enough so my DAC is just sitting in a box atm. Back to Smasung paired with the bundled AKG, what a horrible sound, too much bass and the mids and trebles dont play well theres some rollover. So i put mu Shure se215, sound is great, knowing that the shures are quite bass heavy, great combo none the less. Next i tried the S8 with my Westone W40, and yes this is something different i just love the sound, the loudness, the crispnes of the voices etc, but i thought i can get a better sound so i tried the Adapt sound feature which im familiar with but i always had it off. Now after the hearing test it seems i can hear some low freq, i'm assuming it changes the EQ?it has been asked many times here but theres no edfinitve answer it seems, can someone make a comparison with frequency curve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back