Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Jun 11, 2017 at 9:33 AM Post #286 of 452
Hi, I'm using my S8+ with the AQ Dragonfly Red DAC and Onkyo HF player app.
Each time i plug the DFR, there's a popup notification saying "Allow the app to access the USB device....". I've set the Onkyo app as the default player, but still keeps getting the popup everytime i plug the DFR.

Anyway to disable the popup permanently? Thanks

Jun 13, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #287 of 452
I got the usa s8 a few days ago. It's definite much better as a phone compared to the s6 edge. I don't notice anything special but for my commute it's more than enough as a source especially with that memory card. My s6 edge only had 64gb so this is much better for me.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #288 of 452
Hi, I'm using my S8+ with the AQ Dragonfly Red DAC and Onkyo HF player app.
Each time i plug the DFR, there's a popup notification saying "Allow the app to access the USB device....". I've set the Onkyo app as the default player, but still keeps getting the popup everytime i plug the DFR.

Anyway to disable the popup permanently? Thanks

is it good pairing s8+ with AQ Dragonfly Red, I considering buy that for my s8+ too.
thanks

Jun 18, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #289 of 452
i bought my s8+ last friday and afterwards at home i used the music player using the bundled akg earphones on it. But i noticed that the sound on the right side of the earphones are slightly low sound than the left side. So i tried another earphones, luckily the sound is balanced and fine. anyone had same experience?

Jun 26, 2017 at 8:15 AM Post #293 of 452
I feel the output is very weak and uninspiring.

I can listen at 1/2 volume before things start to fall apart fast. Bass is, logically, the first to go. On most headfones this volume level is below PRaT. :) (Tested with HD25ii, Beyer 770, mmx300 600 Ohm lol, 1770, shure 535s)

This thing needs a portable amp. A5 is great for on the go.

The included buds are actually Samsung, simple labled AKG. AKG is basically dead. Samsung earbuds are usually actually pretty good. S3 had decent ones.

S8 buds: If you have a good seal they are actually ok. Half volume before distortion sets in.

Jun 26, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #295 of 452
I've had the privilege to listen to a S8 for a few minutes with 1More triple drivers, and the SQ was absimal. Rendering was muffled, details were ironed out, stereo separation was bad, it was a terrible experience compared to a Xperia Z5. The owner said that he could even hear when the phone was using it's CPU, something I thought had disappeared since my Nexus S (which was based on the S2). You definitely need an external DAC/AMP on this phone.

Jun 26, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #296 of 452
That thing only ****s with the sound making it "loud and full". It actually is quite ****ty and distorts even faster than the "flat" output.

Oh well, works for my ****ty ears lol!

Jun 28, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #298 of 452
Those AKG earphones that come with the S8 sound fantastic! I am VERY surprised at the sound they produce.

Jul 5, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #300 of 452
I've had the privilege to listen to a S8 for a few minutes with 1More triple drivers, and the SQ was absimal. Rendering was muffled, details were ironed out, stereo separation was bad, it was a terrible experience compared to a Xperia Z5. The owner said that he could even hear when the phone was using it's CPU, something I thought had disappeared since my Nexus S (which was based on the S2). You definitely need an external DAC/AMP on this phone.

Its getting to the point where you really can't rely on others feedback and just have to try for yourself.

I exclusively use Shure SE846's and given up using others as I'm so happy with them. I originally used just phones but then went to Oppo HA2, Dragonfly Red & then Mojo plus also a Sony ZX2 & Fiio X5III which to my ears all sounded better than S3/S4/S5/S6/S7/Note3/Note4/iP5/iP5S/iP6S/iP5SE/Z5.

I then got the Exynos S8 and it is so close to what I hear with DFR/Opp HA2/X5III I've gone to just using my SE846's with the S8. Only slight annoyance for me is a very slight hiss with the SE846's being only 9Ohm but certainly no more than using balanced cable with the Fiio X5III and I can use my iFi IEMatch adapter if needed.

For convenience/SQ for music coupled with being an awesome smartphone it beats all other use combinations, but for pure audio the Mojo is noticeably better & the DFR/HA2SE slightly better to my ears.

I just use the App Frinky Music Controller to be able to use the volume buttons also for next/prev track or a cable with inline controls.

It seems to really depend on the ear/headphones match. As an example I also still use on occasion some old Klipsch X10i which are 50 Ohm and they sound noticeably better on the Fiio X5III for example compared to the S8.

As a final comment, the included AKG branded headphones sound better than usual pack-in earphones, but nothing special. The old Z3 mini with its custom DAC still sounded better than most modern smartphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back