Samsung S8 / S8+ Sound Quality
Apr 22, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #197 of 452
on mine, the device itself has a small Qualcomm sticker on the top bezel.  of course you need to unbox it first.  I see no labels otherwise, but my model is SM-G950U if somebody else has an alternate label to compare.

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #198 of 452
  How to identify the version (qualcomm or exynos} before i buy it? There are differences in the box? The stores in Greece make their own imports.

http://www.teamandroid.com/2017/04/13/samsung-galaxy-s8-model-numbers-variants/

show models. I have the SM-G955F exynos. On the box there is a sticker that show model 

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #199 of 452
I'm no sound pro but my old LG G3 sounded better than my new Samsung S8.  The S8 just can't seem to push over ear headphones.  I don't have nice in-ear monitors to test with, but the ones that came with it can't compare to my cheap roknation skullcandy aviators.  Perhaps somebody with decent in-ear headphones can chime in.

If i'm going to listen to music with my S8, i'll do everything i can to use my oppo DAC.  

I usually test with a mix of lossless and 320 MP3 files.  Very rarely can i tell the difference between those types of files.  For my test, I used Floyd's Wish You Were Here in 320 MP3.  I didn't need to go lossless.  my G3 is dead now, so I cannot do a proper back and forth comparison, but a week ago i enjoyed listening to music with my G3 and with the S8 i do not (no DAC for each).

perhaps an EQ app would help, along with in ear headphones.  

TLF

Apr 22, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #200 of 452
I have S8+ (Exynos, SM-G955F) and tested with AKG K712 Pro. Sound stage very good , beautiful mids with clean controlled base. Very impressed and nice upgrade from Note 3. Also tested against Cary cinema 11a preamp. 

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #201 of 452
  I'm no sound pro but my old LG G3 sounded better than my new Samsung S8.  The S8 just can't seem to push over ear headphones.  I don't have nice in-ear monitors to test with, but the ones that came with it can't compare to my cheap roknation skullcandy aviators.  Perhaps somebody with decent in-ear headphones can chime in.

If i'm going to listen to music with my S8, i'll do everything i can to use my oppo DAC.  

I usually test with a mix of lossless and 320 MP3 files.  Very rarely can i tell the difference between those types of files.  For my test, I used Floyd's Wish You Were Here in 320 MP3.  I didn't need to go lossless.  my G3 is dead now, so I cannot do a proper back and forth comparison, but a week ago i enjoyed listening to music with my G3 and with the S8 i do not (no DAC for each).

perhaps an EQ app would help, along with in ear headphones.  

TLF

I agree with you, I plugged in my Sony MDR-EX650 Iems into an s8+ my local Carphone Warehouse today, it'll be the Exynos version since this is the UK, I was not impressed with the headphone output at all. All the preloaded tracks were mp3s at moderate bit-rates and I could immediately tell without first checking the data rate that it was mp3. So I tethered my phone and search for flac radio or bbc radio at aac 320 kbps. I would like to be able to put in a micro sd card to try dsd and high res lossless but I don't think I am allowed to do that. Anyway point is that if you care about audio, something like a dragonfly black should be a no brainer, my several year old dacmagic xs sounds much more powerful, has a much bigger and wider soundstage, is a lot cleaner and has better timing. I'd say that the audio is comparable to last years s7.

I have tried the B&O hifi module for the LG G5 as well as my uncles LG V10 which didn't go on sale in Europe, the headphone output sounds like an external DAC.

I used to have an LG G3 and I think what hifi were too harsh in saying it was overly smooth, where it really shone was with high res audio especially 24/96 and 24/192 providing you're not using hard to drive over ears. Nonetheless a dragonfly black will be a big improvement if you can tolerate the inconvenience and you're not planning to listen to 24/192 or DSD.

Apr 22, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #202 of 452
Interesting, I updated my SD835 S8+ and the horrendous hissing is now gone when using with my SE846s. The highs are crystal clear amazing, lows are punchy and aren't muddy anymore. Looks like I won't need to use my dragonfly red now.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:40 PM Post #203 of 452
S8 audio isnt anything spectacular. My real listening rig is my home setup. The S8 is just a listen to cheap IEM's on a walk or lunch break device. The phone otherwise blows the V10 out of the water. This thing is just super sexy.

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #204 of 452
It actually doesnt sound bad with iem's. Wont power some of the cans the V10 will power, but it sounds fine with iem's.

Edit: i have my HD650 plugged into my Snapdragon S8 and the 3/4 area of the volume control is about the same volume i listen to this headphone at with my Magni 2 Uber/ODAC desktop setup. Does it sound quite as good, nope. But it isnt terrible for a phone considering that there is supposedly nothing for a DAC or amp but the Snapdragon processor. With Poweramp Alpha as the music player this isnt too bad at all.

Apr 23, 2017 at 2:03 AM Post #206 of 452

I agree with you, I plugged in my Sony MDR-EX650 Iems into an s8+ my local Carphone Warehouse today, it'll be the Exynos version since this is the UK, I was not impressed with the headphone output at all. All the preloaded tracks were mp3s at moderate bit-rates and I could immediately tell without first checking the data rate that it was mp3. So I tethered my phone and search for flac radio or bbc radio at aac 320 kbps. I would like to be able to put in a micro sd card to try dsd and high res lossless but I don't think I am allowed to do that. Anyway point is that if you care about audio, something like a dragonfly black should be a no brainer, my several year old dacmagic xs sounds much more powerful, has a much bigger and wider soundstage, is a lot cleaner and has better timing. I'd say that the audio is comparable to last years s7.

I have tried the B&O hifi module for the LG G5 as well as my uncles LG V10 which didn't go on sale in Europe, the headphone output sounds like an external DAC.

I used to have an LG G3 and I think what hifi were too harsh in saying it was overly smooth, where it really shone was with high res audio especially 24/96 and 24/192 providing you're not using hard to drive over ears. Nonetheless a dragonfly black will be a big improvement if you can tolerate the inconvenience and you're not planning to listen to 24/192 or DSD.

I have the Sony MDR-EX650 and in my iPhone 7 Plus sounds amazing. Can you compare iPhone 7 vs Galaxy s8 with the Sony MDR-EX650?

Apr 23, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #207 of 452
Don't know what I'm missing here, but I really don't find the G955F bad at all...

I'd be happy to stop taking iPhone 7 Plus and DFR with me on my commute.

I actually spent most of yesterday using this, with the bundled AKG earphones (with CX500 tips), on buses and out on the road, and I have no complaints at all.

Sure I'll end up in the minority here, but I don't buy the whole critical listening from a smartphone thing.

Also, I'm puzzled by the comments versus the G3, right off the bat, I found that to have the most under powered, limp sounding output of any handset I've owned.

Horses for courses I guess.

Edit : one thing I really like, the LED case for the S8+ allows for music control by touching the LED section, something that the same case for the S7 cannot do ~ a good improvement.

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:46 AM Post #208 of 452
I wonder if the Exynos version is louder on 3.5mm jack or not?
Also I am  curious to see the results using V4A to boost the 3.5mm output, on the G4 it was very limited like +10%, on the HTC M9 and 10 (while I never use V4A for wired earphones to boost volume on these as they are already super loud) the volume gain thanks to V4A is about +30%, so if the S8 can get the missing 30% loudness to be able to use your iem without an amp I would consider the S8 (once the price drop)

Apr 23, 2017 at 6:56 AM Post #209 of 452
Don't know what I'm missing here, but I really don't find the G955F bad at all...

I'd be happy to stop taking iPhone 7 Plus and DFR with me on my commute.

I actually spent most of yesterday using this, with the bundled AKG earphones (with CX500 tips), on buses and out on the road, and I have no complaints at all.

Sure I'll end up in the minority here, but I don't buy the whole critical listening from a smartphone thing.

Also, I'm puzzled by the comments versus the G3, right off the bat, I found that to have the most under powered, limp sounding output of any handset I've owned.

Horses for courses I guess.

Edit : one thing I really like, the LED case for the S8+ allows for music control by touching the LED section, something that the same case for the S7 cannot do ~ a good improvement.

I totally agree about the G3, it was a major disappointment to me as well. I found it dark, dull, congested and lacking details. I also would not use a phone to listen to hard to drive full sized headphones.

To me the best sound from any smartphone I've heard (the B&O Hifi module excluded) was from my Sony Z3compact. It had terrible weak output but the sound was very clean and clear, I'm still hoping for the S8 Exynos to provide the same, hopefully I'll now next week.

For critical listening I've got enough other options.

Apr 23, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #210 of 452
I'm obviously taking retrograde steps here with the S8+, I've purchased a pair of Audio Technica ANC40BT earphones... They go against everything I've ever told myself about music on the move, yet they're strangely OK.

Won't set any new levels in audio fidelity, but for out and about, fine enough :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back