samsung or sony?
Oct 23, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #16 of 47
You will pay a premium for a Sony for a slightly sharper picture. The Samsungs are very good sets for the price. Several people here have bought them and love them.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 47
hah my dilemma continues...

is there any difference between the sonys that costco sells versus a sony at an electronics store?

the only thing i've heard is that the plastic the panel is made from is different is this true?

because the model at costco seems to be the same as this model: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KD...3175080&sr=8-1

hopefully i'll decide soon.

thanks for all the input so far.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #18 of 47
Samsung DOES NOT make Sony LCD. They do in PSP but Sharp also does it. Sony owns their own plant and produce their own LCD. The Sony BRAVIA line that is the 40" and above is better in every LCD HDTV in the market today. I have owned them both.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #19 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Samsung DOES NOT make Sony LCD. They do in PSP but Sharp also does it. Sony owns their own plant and produce their own LCD. The Sony BRAVIA line that is the 40" and above is better in every LCD HDTV in the market today. I have owned them both.

Read the posts please. Samsung and Sony have a joint venture in a LCD plant. This is fact.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:48 PM Post #20 of 47
hey audio-fi

i'm looking at 32...is sony still better at that size?

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #21 of 47
You may want to check out the Panny 32LX700 32" which is a great 32" LCD. The viewing angles are some of the best out there and it has a great picture overall.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #22 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Read the posts please. Samsung and Sony have a joint venture in a LCD plant. This is fact.

Yes, I know they have a joint venture I have heard it since Sony runs things here. They DO NOT have a joint venture over independent LCD but they do have a joint venture on S-LCD Corp. Sony still manufacture their own LCD. Sony and Samsung is only releasing 50" version of this S-LCD.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwuzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey audio-fi

i'm looking at 32...is sony still better at that size?

No, their 32" BRAVIA is not the same as the 40" and above and I recommend you to get Samsung on that one. Vizio is also a third choice but I am not a big fan. If you are going plasma go with Pioneer, if you are going LCoS go with Sony, if you are going with CRT go with Sony. Panasonic is good but their durability is questionable and yes I use to own it but not the same model mentioned.

Oct 24, 2007 at 12:14 AM Post #23 of 47
alright...

thanks guys for all the input.

looks like i'm going with the samsung 32...unless anyone has any good words to put in about vizio
wink.gif
cause a 32 vizio is about 200 cheaper.

if not...samsung it is haha.

Oct 24, 2007 at 1:36 AM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I refuse to buy anything from Sony on principle, because of their rootkit shenanigans. Do you really want to fund a company that thinks it has the right to infect your PC?

Yes

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I refuse to buy anything from Sony on principle, because of their rootkit shenanigans. Do you really want to fund a company that thinks it has the right to infect your PC?

LMAO. You might think you are not using Sony products but when you see a movie or listen to music sometimes the product that made that is Sony, the evil corporation that infects our PC.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #28 of 47
If you think about Vizio 32 inches because it is cheap, I strongly advise against that. Spend little more and get a reputable brand. The reason why? I did that, and hated it. Returned it back to the store. Bought another TV back to the house. That was quite hassle.

Samsung SDS, to be specific, provides panels to Samsung electronics and other companies like Sony. Samsung sometimes use panels from taiwanese companies, especially when that's cheaper than their own panel, and the TV is not their top of the line model. All other companies do the same. So it is not unusual for you to find Taiwanese panel in samsung TV or monitor especially when yours is cheap model. Also, it is not unusual to find Samsung panels in Sony TV.

The bottom line is, Samsung knows how to make a quality panel. Sony knows how to tune it up. So TV products from both companies are not bad at all. Samsung tend to be more natural, Sony tend to be more bright.

Another good alternative would be LG.
LG, to be specific... LG-philips electonics owned by LG, is the other major panel maker. LG provides their panels to... you guessed it... philips. LG is in electonic business as much as samsung is in, so LG knew how to make a good TV too.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:06 AM Post #29 of 47
Why not save up to a Sony BRAVIA KDL-40XBR2? They are definitely the best in it's class. You won't regret it. To me 32" LCD is only good for monitors. 34" Sony CRT beats it 3 folds and it's half the price. Anyways if you want 32" go with Samsung.

Oct 24, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #30 of 47
i'm just thinking 32 cause i'm currently a sophomore at college.

40 might be too big considering i also live in a single that is about 100sq feet lol.

thanks for the input on the vizio as well...samsung is looking good now.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back