samsung or sony?
Oct 23, 2007 at 3:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

cwuzer

100+ Head-Fier
hey all

i'm currently deciding between a samsung 32 inch lcd hdtv or sony 32.

just wondering if anyone has any experience with either tv/brand (or both) and if they could offer some input.

these are the actual models i'm looking at:

samsung:http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Samsu...oductDetail.do

sony: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

thanks in advance.
icon10.gif

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 47
Sony 32" is crappy to me (I had one). Go with Samsung on 32". Anything over 40" on LCD, Sony will beat

Oct 23, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #3 of 47
ooh alright. thanks.

i've been leaning towards the samsung...just wanted to get a few more opinions before i spend the money.

Oct 23, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #4 of 47
samsung panels always have an edge over the competitors next to them, i dont know what it is, but they look sharper and with better colour representation.

thats a few years back though when i used to sell plasmas.

Oct 23, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by augustwest /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may as well buy the Samsung, since Sony doesn't make their own lcd panels and outsources them from another mfg.

- augustwest

Umm, unless I am extremely mistaken, neither does Samsung. I thought they were both outsourced to somewhere in the SE area of the country. But, as the saying goes, it's whats on the inside that counts
tongue.gif
. Out of the box, the VERY general consensus is that Sony has the edge of sharpness and Sammy has the edge on color. However, this is WITHOUT changing the settings AT ALL. Once everything is calibrated and dialed in to your liking, I think the Sony will pull ahead.

Oct 23, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #12 of 47
If you like watching sports check out the Panasonic LX700 32" LCD. Getting great reviews over at AVSForums.com

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #13 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunuggs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Umm, unless I am extremely mistaken, neither does Samsung. I thought they were both outsourced to somewhere in the SE area of the country. But, as the saying goes, it's whats on the inside that counts
tongue.gif
. Out of the box, the VERY general consensus is that Sony has the edge of sharpness and Sammy has the edge on color. However, this is WITHOUT changing the settings AT ALL. Once everything is calibrated and dialed in to your liking, I think the Sony will pull ahead.

Sony and Samsung have both invested in S-LCD which is a huge 8G plant in Korea IIRC.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 47
TMK, Samsung makes Sony LCD panels. At least they used to. I know for a fact that my 2 year old 32" Sony LCD TV uses a Samsung LCD panel. I took off the back cover and there was a SAMSUNG sticker on the back of the LCD panel.

Oct 23, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #15 of 47
I can hardly begin to say how much better the Sony sets are than the Samsungs. Sure Samsung makes the panels for both Samsung and Sony, but the CCFL's, calibration, build, and quality control on the panel selection of Sony is far better. Especially if you go for the XBR units.

Samsungs are fine and all, but Sony mops the floor in terms of calibrated picture quality. Sony XBR LCD's are second to none. Especially as you get into bigger panel territory.

I still have YET to see a better picture than my 32" Sony XBR on a 32" 720p set. There was good reason I chose it when I did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back