Samsung Level In - Dual BA + Dynamic Hybrids (EO-IG900)
Oct 24, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 18
Well as I've been saying, the trebly part can be compensated for, I don't want to listen to any headphones without equalization, especially on a smartphone.  I chuckle actually when I read people complaining about this, maybe you have to play around for a while to get what you want, but what I've found is that it's clarity that you want from headphones and equalization can supply the balance if you have any kind of skills at all.  I learned that 35 years ago actually when I first started getting into hi fi stuff.  The thing about these buds really isn't the performance, it's the performance for spending $40.  I've never been much into buds but these are pretty good.  I might get some Westone W4's or W5's at some point but they are said to be on the muddier side which scares me a bit, I think that headphones are tergeted toward the plug and play crowd who think these are supposed to be great listening flat.  So you hear some good reviews of something like Momentum over ears which I got when they first came out, they got long put away though as I used to like them a bit but I found that the Bose Q15's were better when you tweaked them and the Q25's that I use now much better than that, but not just plugging them in, they are thin but clear, you can fix the thin part then you get the richness you want and the clarity you want as well.  So the level ins sound like absolute tin crap, a $2 headphone, listening on flat but they can be made to sound amazingly good for a $40 set of phones.

Oct 25, 2015 at 2:52 AM Post #17 of 18
  Very helpful information! the blue-tack mod was rather clever. We will see how my ears stand up to the treble. have you listened to them personally? Also, any experience with the v-sonic vsd5 compared to the level in?

You're welcome :) Yes, I've been listening to (and tinkering with) them extensively, since I like a lot about them except their treble. No experience with the VSD5, I'm afraid.

Well as I've been saying, the trebly part can be compensated for, I don't want to listen to any headphones without equalization, especially on a smartphone.  I chuckle actually when I read people complaining about this, maybe you have to play around for a while to get what you want, but what I've found is that it's clarity that you want from headphones and equalization can supply the balance if you have any kind of skills at all.  I learned that 35 years ago actually when I first started getting into hi fi stuff.  The thing about these buds really isn't the performance, it's the performance for spending $40.  I've never been much into buds but these are pretty good.  I might get some Westone W4's or W5's at some point but they are said to be on the muddier side which scares me a bit, I think that headphones are tergeted toward the plug and play crowd who think these are supposed to be great listening flat.  So you hear some good reviews of something like Momentum over ears which I got when they first came out, they got long put away though as I used to like them a bit but I found that the Bose Q15's were better when you tweaked them and the Q25's that I use now much better than that, but not just plugging them in, they are thin but clear, you can fix the thin part then you get the richness you want and the clarity you want as well.  So the level ins sound like absolute tin crap, a $2 headphone, listening on flat but they can be made to sound amazingly good for a $40 set of phones.

I don't know what a smartphone has to do with the need for EQ (my Samsung sounds as flat as most other DAPs and drives the majority of my IEMs just fine). But I'd concur with you that all earphones can benefit from equalization to some degree. However, I tend to classify my IEMs into those I like without EQ and those which are in desperate need of compensation. To my ears, the Samsung Level In belong in the latter category, even though I'd agree that they have a lot of technical potential.

Thing is, these days there so many budget IEMs that sound really great without EQ (ZA Tenore, Ostry KC06, just to name two that come to mind), that most people won't probably bother to buy one that requires compensation, even if it's a triple driver for $40.

As for the W4, I have these too and their treble is more refined than the Samsung's. They have more upper bass and lower midrange warmth though, which makes for a non-fatiguing but not overly clear sound signature. Personally, I prefer the Samsung's low range to the W4's.

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #18 of 18
Reporting back after i have put some hours on the Level in and... 

I really like how they sound. Yes there is a hot spot in the treble but it´s not that extreme really. However i do enjoy a brighter sound signature overall so take that in consideration. Separation is very nice and bass is tight and does not bleed. They sound fast and lively. 

The remote works flawlessly on my LG G2, volume up n down, taking calls etc etc. 

The build is OK, it´s not poor but not very premium, the jack lacks strain relieves and with heavy use this is the point where it will break. It´s a shame really but yeah. 

Comfort is very good in my ears, tip-rolling can be a little difficult due to the thick nozzle. 

I am happy that i got them, suits my taste in signature very good. Perfect for daily use with the smartphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back