Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 10, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #662 of 704
Hello guys,
yesterday i've recevied the official Nougat firmware update on my S7 EDGE.
Apart fro the other improvements, i noticed a really really nice improvement in audio volume and quality.
Now it is a world better in driving all my phones!
Anyone has noticed that?
I can guarantee that is not a placebo effect..

I'm also using exynos version running Nougat. Do you use your stock player or use an app to play music?

I recently sold my Xduoo X10 and decided to go S7E (as my dap) + IEM route. Do you think this might do the trick? I'm actually tired of bringing two gadget with me.

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #665 of 704
I'm also using exynos version running Nougat. Do you use your stock player or use an app to play music?

I recently sold my Xduoo X10 and decided to go S7E (as my dap) + IEM route. Do you think this might do the trick? I'm actually tired of bringing two gadget with me.

Well, don't think entirely so..Xduuo is still more powerful and transparent..i've used an Xduuo X3..and it was better

Mar 29, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #667 of 704
Hi everyone
I got S7 Edge 935FD (international, Exynos, Wolfson or Lucky DAC) recently at a huge discount, nowhere near official U.S. price. While being fantastic fast phone, amazing camera for lowlight, microSD card, long battery life, xda free ROMs support (LineageOS, AOKP ...) etc - it has this built-in DAC. Hmm. It is not loud compared to any other DAC (like Qualcomm), loudness about the same. But the sound quality is very pleasant. I tested it with some HD 24/96 tracks (Opus encoded). It will be good for regular mobile friendly headphones (monoprice 8323, JVC Flats) and IEMs (I hate those, destroy my hearing). It was OK (not great) with AKG K7xx. It could not drive Superlux 668B - too quiet, no bass etc. I only tested with pure TouchWiz stock, nonrooted phone, MX Player. I would guess that Viper4Android will make it even better.

Mar 29, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #668 of 704
Just a heads up, Samsung S8 and S8+ are released today and they come with AKG IEM 
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #669 of 704
Hello! A few months ago I got the Samsung Galaxy S7 Exynos. I read all the thread and after many tests with different app and headphones, I can assure that for IEM like the Shure SE425 the best app is Poweramp alpha v3, which gives you an absolute improvement over the Samsung Music app with them files. More volume, sharpness, bass. Impossible to quantify, but my feeling is 20-30% improvement in all sections. This can be proven by opening the two applications at once and playing the same file in one and the other with the same volume. The same proof can be made with Spotify Premium, which offers a quality very similar to Samsung Music.

Comparing my experience with my S7 Exynos + Poweramp alpha + Shure SE425 and my FiiO X1 2nd gen + Shure SE425, I would say the difference is minimal in terms of sound quality in favor of the S7E, but huge in terms of interface, since the S7E is an extraordinary device with an OS that works perfect.

Surely there are smartphones with better sound quality than the S7E, but you should know that, for a good IEM like the Shure, the S7e + Poweramp alpha combo offers a similar quality of any DAP in the range of 150-200 €, Makes it difficult to imagine a smartphone that can improve it enough to change it.

Greetings.

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #670 of 704
While my LG V10 was on repair (screen was broken, dropouts in bluetooth signal) I saw a online deal for a S7 with a very good price, so I bought it. The V10 is a huge phone, and will possible not get Android 7. Furthermore I was switching to bluetooth headphones for praktical reasons so the excellent DAC of the V10 wasn't that necessary anymore, I thought.

When the V10 came back from repair i compared the two with my B&W P2 wireless and Philips M2BT headphones. I noticed that also with bluetooth there were differences in the sound. The S7 has a somwhat more congested sound, the V10 shows more details and has a more open/relaxed sound.

Have anyone here ever compared the sound over bluetooth of the S7 compared to other phones?

Apr 22, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #672 of 704
Yes I have both as well.
And agree.. And Don't why to be honest.. As what we hear is the dacand amp of the connected headphone..

Hmmm... these were also my thoughts, you're using the DAC and amp of the bluetooth headphone. But the difference is really there. Nice that you have also both of the phones (why actually?) and you hear the same.

Apr 22, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #675 of 704
Yes I have both as well.
And agree.. And Don't why to be honest.. As what we hear is the dacand amp of the connected headphone..

Where audio passes through the Android media layer there will be some EQ going on so that is probably why you can hear the difference over Bluetooth, the EQ is being done in the phone before being sent out to the bluetooth DAC/Amp. If you root, then replace the built-in EQ with something like V4A you will get a different sound again (assuming you turn V4A on for Bluetooth devices).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back