Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Apr 22, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #676 of 704
Where audio passes through the Android media layer there will be some EQ going on so that is probably why you can hear the difference over Bluetooth, the EQ is being done in the phone before being sent out to the bluetooth DAC/Amp. If you root, then replace the built-in EQ with something like V4A you will get a different sound again (assuming you turn V4A on for Bluetooth devices).

Thanks for your help! This could be wat I hear allthough it seems more then only EQ. I hear somewhat more spatial and less congested sound from the V10. I know that when rooted you can raise the volume levels but can you also tune the sound quality over bluetooth? And will this also work in Tidal cause that's my primary music source, I don't have music files on my phone so I can't use Viper.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:06 AM Post #677 of 704
Thanks for your help!bThis could be wat I hear allthough it seems more then only EQ. I hear somewhat more spatial and less congested sound from the V10. I know that when rooted you can raise the volume levels but can you also tune the sound quality over bluetooth? And will this also work in Tidal cause that's my primary music source, I don't have music files on my phone so I can't use Viper.

I would still say it's down to EQ. Using V4A can have a dramatic change in the sound output, including output over bluetooth. There is a multi-band EQ, and various filters/effects that can be applied to the headphone output, bluetooth output and in some cases USB DAC/Amps. The EQ settings will work with any audio that is played through the system but wouldn't work with apps such as UAPP when in bitperfect mode.

Effects such as virtual surround can create a feeling of space if you like that sort of thing; there are also a number of filters or IRS files that supposedly flatten out headphone frequencies. Some of the adjustments are better than others and as with anything overdoing it can be detrimental to the sound.

I would still put any differences you are hearing on a bluetooth device down to the EQ being done by the phone before being sent to the bluetooth device.

The DAC in the headphones will just convert the 1's & 0's into analogue sound so for the sound to be different the 1's & 0's being received by the DAC must have been changed before they got there.

I have the S7E Exynos version and the DAC is pretty decent, the Amp is restricted due to EU regulations but again on a rooted device the output can be boosted. The sound quality isn't bad at all but using V4A instead of the built in EQ it can be made better.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:49 AM Post #679 of 704
musicfreakTidal played back through the App uses Android audio so V4A will work. Tidal played back though UAPP in bitperfect mode bypasses Android audio so didn't work.

Generally when you install V4A you remove or at least block the built in EQ software to avoid conflicts.

Apr 30, 2017 at 3:47 PM Post #681 of 704
Van anyone tell me why the display being on would cause a clicking /popping noise in the audio through my DAC? I have a xduoo xd-05, and while streaming from google play (I also tried Spotify) , or with downloaded content from google play, it will click or pop in kind of a regular pattern. As soon as I lock the phone with the power button, it goes away! If I wake the screen, it comes back. I don't understand why the screen would have anything to do with the function of the usb output to a DAC? What other function wakes up when the screen is on?

I tried both my wifes and my s7 with the same result. I also tried two otg cables. If I use USB Audio Player Pro with a local mp3 file it doesn't seem to do it. If I connect and stream from my laptop, it is fine.

I've only had this amp/DAC for a few days and it sounds phenomenal otherwise. I am assuming it is a Samsung issue, since it works fine via pc. I wish I knew someone with a different brand of phone to try.

Any ideas?

Apr 30, 2017 at 11:45 PM Post #682 of 704
Van anyone tell me why the display being on would cause a clicking /popping noise in the audio through my DAC? I have a xduoo xd-05, and while streaming from google play (I also tried Spotify) , or with downloaded content from google play, it will click or pop in kind of a regular pattern. As soon as I lock the phone with the power button, it goes away! If I wake the screen, it comes back. I don't understand why the screen would have anything to do with the function of the usb output to a DAC? What other function wakes up when the screen is on?

I tried both my wifes and my s7 with the same result. I also tried two otg cables. If I use USB Audio Player Pro with a local mp3 file it doesn't seem to do it. If I connect and stream from my laptop, it is fine.

I've only had this amp/DAC for a few days and it sounds phenomenal otherwise. I am assuming it is a Samsung issue, since it works fine via pc. I wish I knew someone with a different brand of phone to try.

Any ideas?

This isn't a general issue with the S7 and USB DACs so could be just specific to the Xduoo that you are using. Have you tried turning the system audio to vibrate only so that only the media audio is being sent out to the DAC. System sounds can cause some strange noises when sent out to the DAC although I have found these to be more like screams than clicking/popping.

May 12, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #684 of 704
Hello to everyone , just got into headfi after following the comunity for several years...
Ive just wanted to ask if are there any news about s7 edge dac with exynos.
I think i found the dac , spoken with a engineer friend that kind of works with audio chips...
He told me the lucky cs47l91 is actually
the cirrus logic cs47l90 renamed .
https://www.cirrus.com/products/cs47l90/
Also in this site shows cs47l90/91 same chip
http://www.sensory.com/products/technologies/partners/

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #685 of 704
Late to the this party but I have to weigh in!

This thread is bizarre. I have an Exynos S7 and have never gone above 80% volume with any headphones, and normally listen in the 'safe' zone! Is everyone in here deaf?!

For what it's worth, I have no problem with the sound quality. I've just been A/Bing Tidal (via UAPP) direct from the phone's headphone jack, and then plugged into my Mojo connected to the PC (although can't set it to use exclusive mode being limited to using the web player while at work), and to be honest, I don't find there to be a 'night and day' difference at all...

Maybe I got lucky and have the only S7 with a decent DAC implementation
a_tongue.gif

Jun 8, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #686 of 704
Late to the this party but I have to weigh in!

This thread is bizarre. I have an Exynos S7 and have never gone above 80% volume with any headphones, and normally listen in the 'safe' zone! Is everyone in here deaf?!

For what it's worth, I have no problem with the sound quality. I've just been A/Bing Tidal (via UAPP) direct from the phone's headphone jack, and then plugged into my Mojo connected to the PC (although can't set it to use exclusive mode being limited to using the web player while at work), and to be honest, I don't find there to be a 'night and day' difference at all...

Maybe I got lucky and have the only S7 with a decent DAC implementation
a_tongue.gif
I place a 90% limit with the samsung sound assistant but just cuz +90% brings distortion and noise . The phone is perfect when not using effects like tube amp uhq and stuff they all bring distortio.... only thing it lacks is more power for hungry headphones.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #687 of 704
I totally can't understand why Sammy can't produce a phone with a decent amp inside it's S or Note series. I'm not asking for much but at the very least, I'm sure Sammy can put a decent amp that is at par or better than the iPhone. It's very disappointing that all my iDevices have better amps than my S7 Edge (Exynos version). Hopefully Note 8 will change that....well....hopefully.

Jul 9, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #688 of 704
I totally can't understand why Sammy can't produce a phone with a decent amp inside it's S or Note series. I'm not asking for much but at the very least, I'm sure Sammy can put a decent amp that is at par or better than the iPhone. It's very disappointing that all my iDevices have better amps than my S7 Edge (Exynos version). Hopefully Note 8 will change that....well....hopefully.

Sound chips in smartphones become popular a year or two years ago and it is reserved for flagships only.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #689 of 704
Sound chips in smartphones become popular a year or two years ago and it is reserved for flagships only.
Samsung's S series and Note series are considered flagship phones. Btw I'm referring to the amp section of the phone, not the DAC chip. If iPhone can have more powerful amp...why not Sammy?...LG have it...HTC have it...Even non flagship phones by ZTE have it too.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #690 of 704
Samsung's S series and Note series are considered flagship phones. Btw I'm referring to the amp section of the phone, not the DAC chip. If iPhone can have more powerful amp...why not Sammy?...LG have it...HTC have it...Even non flagship phones by ZTE have it too.

The S7 amp does have more power to give but it seems to be set quite a bit below maximum at a firmware level. On a rooted S7 you can change a few settings to bump up that power, the only problem is that you have to adjust the settings to reflect the type of headphones you are using, if you bump the power too much you get noise with more sensitive IEMs for example. Even the output from the DAC stage is set below maximum (32 of 48) if I recall. If you push the output all the way up it does introduce some distortion but at that level it was too loud with my K702s.

I'm not sure if Samsung did this to provide volume limiting/protection or if it has been done to extend battery life.

I'm in the UK so a stock S7 will have the EU limit imposed in any case but I'm sure the EU limited iPhone has an output of 0.5V whereas the S7 was 0.7V, maxed out I'm sure the S7 was up to more than 1.5V. I wouldn't swear to these figures though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back