Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Nov 12, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #631 of 704
After 5 years of use my good ol' iphone 4s has to go, I was debating whether to get the huawei P9 ( I actually really like Emui ) or the S7.

I went to audition both today, in all honesty I don't understand all this complaing about the volume levels on S7 it's almost as loud as my iphone 4s. And it even sounds really good with default settings ( no fx ) with some samples thhrough google music. I was using Bang&Olufsen H6 second generation and it drove them plenty loud even with the ****ty b&o cable that kills the volume by itself. On some tracks it even sounded great but that's the B&O not the sammy :p however if these great cans sound good on this device with default settings and with just google music, I only imagine how great it can get with the latest poweramp.

The P9 sounds ok, but that's about it. The S7 is more comfortable to hold, a bit smaller, looks even better in black and has that t gorgeous amoled panel.

I'm definitely getting the s7, might get the hifime sabre 9018 portable dac/amp later on as I also need a better dac for my workstation.

P.S we have only the Exynos versions here in Poland.

Nov 12, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #632 of 704
After 5 years of use my good ol' iphone 4s has to go, I was debating whether to get the huawei P9 ( I actually really like Emui ) or the S7.

I went to audition both today, in all honesty I don't understand all this complaing about the volume levels on S7 it's almost as loud as my iphone 4s. And it even sounds really good with default settings ( no fx ) with some samples thhrough google music. I was using Bang&Olufsen H6 second generation and it drove them plenty loud even with the ****ty b&o cable that kills the volume by itself. On some tracks it even sounded great but that's the B&O not the sammy :p however if these great cans sound good on this device with default settings and with just google music, I only imagine how great it can get with the latest poweramp.

The P9 sounds ok, but that's about it. The S7 is more comfortable to hold, a bit smaller, looks even better in black and has that t gorgeous amoled panel.

I'm definitely getting the s7, might get the hifime sabre 9018 portable dac/amp later on as I also need a better dac for my workstation.

P.S we have only the Exynos versions here in Poland.

Yes, the Exynos version of S7/S7Edge do sound better than the Snapdragon version.

Nov 15, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #633 of 704
I prefer my s7 edge (exynos) vs my iPhone 6 by a small margin. I guess as long as you can get to the desired volume you need then that's ok.

Listening to mostly FLACs in 16 and 24 bit.

Using RHA T20s and it's wonderful! Even auditioned a 5 driver CIEM on my s7 edge and I ordered one the same day. The s7 had no problems with that.

Using Poweramp beta and the biggest difference is the feature where the volume can go 100 steps instead of the usual 16 steps. You can really nail down the volume you want. Before Poweramp I was moving from app to app before settling for foobar.

I just prefer the iPhone Spotify app by a huge margin because of the swipe to queue feature. Why isn't this on Android yet until now???

Nov 30, 2016 at 4:43 AM Post #636 of 704
So, I am also running the S7 Exynos. I have seen many people recommending to do the 'Adapt Sound' process/ setting for improved audio. Any opinions or experiences with this setting? I can only imagine it to be some sort of EQ...

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #637 of 704
So, I am also running the S7 Exynos. I have seen many people recommending to do the 'Adapt Sound' process/ setting for improved audio. Any opinions or experiences with this setting? I can only imagine it to be some sort of EQ...

Yes its an eq.this setting test your ears then improve frequencys that you are weak to hear it

Nov 30, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #639 of 704
Hi, I have a question. How loud is S7 (exynos version)? Is it possible to bump the DAC up with root? Like on S1 (voodoo) or S3 (boeffla)? I don't mean software volume boosting, but real hardware control.
Now I have LGv10 (I'm using it since april), I needed to modify one file in /system/etc/ to get AUX mode for my headphones. Of course audio output from v10 is brilliant and loud, but this phone is too big :frowning2:

Nov 30, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #641 of 704
  Hi, I have a question. How loud is S7 (exynos version)? Is it possible to bump the DAC up with root? Like on S1 (voodoo) or S3 (boeffla)? I don't mean software volume boosting, but real hardware control.
Now I have LGv10 (I'm using it since april), I needed to modify one file in /system/etc/ to get AUX mode for my headphones. Of course audio output from v10 is brilliant and loud, but this phone is too big :frowning2:

If you mean increase the power output through the DAC into the amp section then you need to amend settings in the '/etc/mixer_paths.xml'  '/etc/mixer_gains.xml' and change the 'HPOUT1L Input Volume' & 'HPOUT1R Input Volume' settings, the default is 32 but you can push it to 48. If you go to XDA and search for ZuBi182 there is a pre-packaged audio mod that increases volume settings and also allows you use the bottom speaker along with the earpiece speaker to provide stereo speaker output.

You can also increase the volume further by adjusting the 'Digital Output'  and/or 'HP Impedance' settings in the 'mixer_paths.xml' file but if you push it too high it starts to distort. If you set everything to maximum it doubles the voltage output through the headphone jack.

Edited to show correct file - thanks @rscpl

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #642 of 704
  If you mean increase the power output through the DAC into the amp section then you need to amend settings in the '/etc/mixer_paths.xml' and change the 'HPOUT1L Input Volume' & 'HPOUT1R Input Volume' settings, the default is 32 but you can push it to 48. If you go to XDA and search for ZuBi182 there is a pre-packaged audio mod that increases volume settings and also allows you use the bottom speaker along with the earpiece speaker to provide stereo speaker output.

You can also increase the volume further by adjusting the 'Digital Output'  and/or 'HP Impedance' settings in the 'mixer_paths.xml' file but if you push it too high it starts to distort. If you set everything to maximum it doubles the voltage output through the headphone jack.

Thanks, but actually this is not the right file:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/themes/galaxy-s7-s7-edge-easy-headphone-volume-t3337937
:) This is working, and volume level after doing this is really impressive, without any distortions.

Dec 5, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #643 of 704
  Thanks, but actually this is not the right file:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s7/themes/galaxy-s7-s7-edge-easy-headphone-volume-t3337937
:) This is working, and volume level after doing this is really impressive, without any distortions.

Thanks - you're right it is 'mixer_gains' and not 'mixer_paths'

​I found that pushing the two ' Impedance' settings resulted in a lot of noise (hiss) which is why I wouldn't really recommend it. 

On the EU model if you max everything out it supposedly doubles the voltage output from the headphone socket.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #644 of 704

Thanks - you're right it is 'mixer_gains' and not 'mixer_paths'

​I found that pushing the two ' Impedance' settings resulted in a lot of noise (hiss) which is why I wouldn't really recommend it. 

On the EU model if you max everything out it supposedly doubles the voltage output from the headphone socket.

You are right, but I can hear it only when there is total silence and I'm using my earphones, on my AKG headphones there is no noise at all. Something similar occurred on my old Galaxy S3 if I remember correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back