Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Aug 31, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #571 of 704
All this talk about needing a separate DAC/amp is kind of disappointing :frowning2: I originally jumped to the S7 Edge because of the next iPhone lacking a headphone jack, but if I will need to buy the Dragonfly I might as well stay with iPhone and avoid the unnecessary hassle of switching to android. I'm going to wait for the 9/7 apple announcement. If the iPhone 7 beats the S7 Edge in terms of everything else besides the headphone jack, I might as well stay Apple.

Aug 31, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #572 of 704
If you're willing to root your S7/S7E then there are instructions over at XDA on how to modify the sound output to get more from your headphones, built in speaker and bluetooth headphones. Whether the mods are good enough to satisfy your needs is very much a matter of what your needs and issues are.

Sep 3, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #574 of 704
Volume levels are unacceptable. I regret my purchase and wiah i had gone with the HTC m10.

the Exynos or the Snapdragon version?

Sep 3, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #575 of 704
I don't know why Samsung have crippled the volume output; it's not like the hardware isn't capable. One simple setting change on a rooted phone and the volume is significantly boosted and without any distortion or other issues. It may have a minor impact on battery life but only when listening to music. I know here in the EU (for now) that we have the volume limits but it seems that Samsung went lower than they needed to. There are other volume settings that will send the output so high that it causes earbuds to distort and there is no way you could safely listen at those levels.

I am on a rooted Exynos variant, I'm not sure if the SnapDragon version has the same settings.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #576 of 704
I might keep the S7.

By luck I listened to music on VLC instead of a usual music player and the volume was more acceptable.

So then I tried with MXplayer and it was even louder, if you are in Hardware+ or Software decoding mode.

I now listen to all my music throught MXplayer.

But yeah still disappointed in the camera. But the very good battery life (especially since I always keep the power saving mode on), the expandable storage and the water resistance kinda make up for it.

Because thats the problem with the iphone 6, battery life is just not up there. Also you pay ridiculous price for memory when a SD card cost nothing nowadays.

Sep 4, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #577 of 704
  I don't know why Samsung have crippled the volume output; it's not like the hardware isn't capable. One simple setting change on a rooted phone and the volume is significantly boosted and without any distortion or other issues. It may have a minor impact on battery life but only when listening to music. I know here in the EU (for now) that we have the volume limits but it seems that Samsung went lower than they needed to. There are other volume settings that will send the output so high that it causes earbuds to distort and there is no way you could safely listen at those levels.

I am on a rooted Exynos variant, I'm not sure if the SnapDragon version has the same settings.

Because there's some serious idiocy going on in the Samsung mobile phone software department. Last installment of that was when they disabled the S7 edge side/night-clock, so that user can only set it to (I think) max 8 hours period. This is flat out dumb, and the person behind that needs to have their ass fired.

I'm pretty bitter here because there's multitude of other decisions like this which cripple these, otherwise very fine phones. I live with the Galaxy line since S4, skipped S6.

One day I have put the headphones on, jumped on my bike, bombing it downhill, I tried to increase the volume level (the phone being in the pocket) -- but somehow that did not work. I kept retrying, but nothing, holding the bars with one hand while gong downhill is actually pretty unsafe -- all this while the locked phone in my pocket was displaying the message about "Unsafe volume levels -- press OK to acknowledge", so much for a totally ruined experience.

Dear Samsung, do you think we are retards? That's a serious question.

Sep 4, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #578 of 704
Hi, i have ths S7 exynos and after the last update in android in 24 August i think i can go to 60-70% volume and its loud for me.before the update i had to go 80-90%. I was pretty dissapointed but after the update im pretty happy.Also i noticed better control in bass and more details and clarity.Overall the sound is on par to my Iphone 4 id say.Using Soundmagic E80 with Spotify and Poweramp.And last download the new beta version of Poweramp if you have it.Completly destroys the previous version, i dont know what theyve done but im in 30% volume and its loud.
But overall i believe its a great phone very fast,microsd,great camera,great screen,very good for gaming.personally i prefer an overal great phone instead of grear sound with mediocre futures.
YMMV as always☺

Sep 4, 2016 at 1:59 PM Post #579 of 704
Hi, i have ths S7 exynos and after the last update in android in 24 August i think i can go to 60-70% volume and its loud for me.before the update i had to go 80-90%. I was pretty dissapointed but after the update im pretty happy.Also i noticed better control in bass and more details and clarity.Overall the sound is on par to my Iphone 4 id say.Using Soundmagic E80 with Spotify and Poweramp.And last download the new beta version of Poweramp if you have it.Completly destroys the previous version, i dont know what theyve done but im in 30% volume and its loud.
But overall i believe its a great phone very fast,microsd,great camera,great screen,very good for gaming.personally i prefer an overal great phone instead of grear sound with mediocre futures.
YMMV as always☺

This was the main factor as to why I bought the S7 Edge (Exynos) yesterday. It arrived today through Amazon Prime and it has been reduced to £550 ($731) which was good.

I can't wait to try it out!
smile.gif

Sep 4, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #580 of 704
This was the main factor as to why I bought the S7 Edge (Exynos) yesterday. It arrived today through Amazon Prime and it has been reduced to £550 ($731) which was good.

I can't wait to try it out! :smile:  

its an awesome phone.incredible fast, and the screen has a WOW factor.i just watch movies now in S7 instead of my Sony 46 inches tv, using KODI and playing 1080p files 3-5gigabytes flawesly.i just believe that its a bit waste to buy smartphone that has only 1 good thing and the rest mediocre...
YMMV offcourse...
but the S7 is just awesome.you cant go wrong.i had an UMI X2 for 3 years.great for the money but after the first year all the problems where to obvious and annoying, like no support of updates, very bad camera, bad battery, mediocre 1080p screen...i compared side by side the UMI with S7 and it was a revalation for me.i now understand fully why they say Samsung has the best screens.
And again if you have Poweramp update to beta v3, and if you dont have it buy it and then update to beta v3...its that good!

Sep 4, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #581 of 704
its an awesome phone.incredible fast, and the screen has a WOW factor.i just watch movies now in S7 instead of my Sony 46 inches tv, using KODI and playing 1080p files 3-5gigabytes flawesly.i just believe that its a bit waste to buy smartphone that has only 1 good thing and the rest mediocre...
YMMV offcourse...
but the S7 is just awesome.you cant go wrong.i had an UMI X2 for 3 years.great for the money but after the first year all the problems where to obvious and annoying, like no support of updates, very bad camera, bad battery, mediocre 1080p screen...i compared side by side the UMI with S7 and it was a revalation for me.i now understand fully why they say Samsung has the best screens.
And again if you have Poweramp update to beta v3, and if you dont have it buy it and then update to beta v3...its that good!

Thanks man. Do you have the S7 or S7E? I'm coming from a Note 2 so it's a huge upgrade for me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back