Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Sep 21, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #587 of 704
i just picked up my S7.
for a split second, i entertained listening to music through some grado 325is, but that didn't last long as the s7 couldn't drive the headphones by itself. 
i have it hooked up (using the usb connector it came with) to my ibasso D12 and some decent closed-back headphones. Currently using neutron, but am open to any flac player suggestions. 

after the loss of my favorite source that supported optical out, i had been using an old iphone 6 that i used with my FIIO kunlun and VOX player app. i was content with that, but wouldn't listen to music as much. also... the iphone 6 couldn't support the power requirements of the ibasso d12. Hell the iphone6 would shut down the FIIO if i turned the volume up too high sometimes. 
however, the S7 not only powers the D12 perfectly, i can even flip the charge switch on.

i'm 100% certain i'll be retiring my old iphone6 and using my new s7 as my primary audio source through the d12. i just am not a fan of neutron app interface. what are you guys using? 

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #588 of 704

i'm 100% certain i'll be retiring my old iphone6 and using my new s7 as my primary audio source through the d12. i just am not a fan of neutron app interface. what are you guys using? 

USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO (UAPP) is generally considered to be the player that works best with external USB devices; it will give you full control over the external DAC/Amp and will allow for bit perfect playback. It is a paid app though. You can download a trial version to make sure it works and meets your needs.

I have used it on my S7E (Exynos) with the iBasso D14 and it works all the way up to DSD.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #589 of 704
  USB AUDIO PLAYER PRO (UAPP) is generally considered to be the player that works best with external USB devices; it will give you full control over the external DAC/Amp and will allow for bit perfect playback. It is a paid app though. You can download a trial version to make sure it works and meets your needs.

I have used it on my S7E (Exynos) with the iBasso D14 and it works all the way up to DSD.

thanks! installed UAPP and loving it!

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #590 of 704
Just purchased my S7 Edge (Exynos version) about a week ago. Apart from the lower output, I'm very impressed with the sound quality paired to my Phonak PFE IEMs. I must admit that my iPhone 4S does indeed have a higher output, however I still prefer the better details coming from the S7 Edge (Exynos version).

Btw, does anybody know how to disable the sound volume warning popup every time I plug my IEMs into the S7 Edge and start turning the volume up. I wish Sammy stops treating us like idiots.

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:04 PM Post #591 of 704
I have a exynos s7 arriving next week as an upgrade from my s5. However i just remembered to look up if it had aptx codec for Bluetooth headphones.
I have been using my Bluetooth headphones more lately, especially in the gym, and they do support aptx and although they were cheap, they have a nice sound quality streaming from my s5.

From what i gathered, the s7 exynos doesn't have aptx right? Will the difference be noticeable?

Thanks!

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #592 of 704
Samsung S7 edge supports only APTX 16 bit but not APTX HD: http://newst8.com/specifications/samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-exynos-full-specification-and-features-823778977

Another confirmation from Trusted Reviews: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/what-is-aptx-hd

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #593 of 704
  Just purchased my S7 Edge (Exynos version) about a week ago. Apart from the lower output, I'm very impressed with the sound quality paired to my Phonak PFE IEMs. I must admit that my iPhone 4S does indeed have a higher output, however I still prefer the better details coming from the S7 Edge (Exynos version).

Btw, does anybody know how to disable the sound volume warning popup every time I plug my IEMs into the S7 Edge and start turning the volume up. I wish Sammy stops treating us like idiots.

Oh, that sounds cool! But my question is - are you using the standard PFE (grey filters I suppose?) or the all-mighty end-game PFE 232? Because the standard Audeos with grey filters are my favourite IEMs alongside with dualmembrane TDK IE800 (similar in terms of sound) and S7 Exynos (standard - nonedge) is almost perfect for me in terms of size (still... little bit too big) and performance. My only guess is audio performance and the opinions here are quite divided...

Oct 1, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #594 of 704
Yes mx19, I'm using the grey filters on my PFE022 and PFE232 paired with the Comply T130 tips and I'm totally satisfied with the sound 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #595 of 704
  Yes mx19, I'm using the the grey filters on my PFE022 and PFE232 paired to the Comply T130 and I'm totally satisfied with the sound 
biggrin.gif

Great to hear it. As I had little fear because Cirrus Logic's chips always were on the brighter side of the sound and I was always pairing my PFE with iRivers that were on Wolfson's little bit warmer DACs.
No problem with power delivery? Does it have enough bang to get juice from the PFE022? (same here PFE022+grey filters+Jay's M tips-better than stock ones. Complys are mudding the sound for me :) ) BTW. does it have enough bang to drive the mighty PFE232??? As I'm still thinking about buying them one day... :wink:

Oct 3, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #596 of 704
Well lads, I did a test in a nearby mediashop on Sunday. Audeo+grey filters+jay's tips(M) and also TDK IE800 (stock M tips) - I tested Galaxy S7 Exynos (non-edge), LG V10 and for comparision my LG L90. V10 and S7 with all the newest updates of the firmware/software (so Hi-Fi mode in V10 all the time).
The software used was Poweramp with flat eq (all effects off, of course) - the newest version of the standard one from google play on both S7 and V10, and poweramp alpha 7.03 on my L90. I used 2 Idlewild's tracks and Chopin Concerto No.2  (Zimerman+PFO). And to be honest... there wasn't much difference between the three. The S7 was a little bit better than my L90 - the bass had a little bit better range and maybe texture, also a little there was a bit more clarity, but you could feel the lack of power - surely due to the limitations of the software as I didn't have a problem with maxing the volume on both of my IEMs (32 Ohms both of them - Audeo balanced aramtures, IE800 dual membranes). Surely there wasn't any WOW difference between it and my L90... which is 2yo mid-ranger.
Similar story suprisingly with V10. Yes it's better than S7 and my L90, especially in terms of resolution, also the dynamic range feels better too. Also more juice is present but still I was able to hit max volume (75), although it was more painful than in S7 and L90.
Therefore I think the difference isn't stunning. Of course the environment was far from being perfect and I spent around 30mins between all 3 of them, so it's more like preview than review.
Also I have to admit that I have feeling that the Poweramp Alpha helped my L90 in this comparision and I'd love to hear both S7 and V10 with Alpha instead of standard Poweramp. Especially that both DACs - Cirrus and ESS are supported by Alpha...

But yeah... V10 is wayyy to big to me. And even S7 could be smaller for my taste.

Oct 6, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #597 of 704
can i ask does the galaxy s7 edge exyons cpu have a hifi dac

i am simply surprised how good the sound quality on s7 edge with the exynos 

totally surprised it sounds so dam good

Oct 7, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #598 of 704
  can i ask does the galaxy s7 edge exyons cpu have a hifi dac

i am simply surprised how good the sound quality on s7 edge with the exynos 

totally surprised it sounds so dam good

all exynos samsung phones have external DACs as exynos chipsets don't have integrated DAC as snapdragons do. the new S7s have Cirrus' DACs

Oct 7, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #599 of 704
I have the s7 exynos and to me it sounds better then my iPhone 6s.to me it has a wider soundstage and better detailed then the iPhone and not quit in your face like the iPhone.I'm just using Google music right now and wow it sounds really good. Does it go as loud as the iPhone?? No it doesn't but loud enough really.I'm actually surprised how well it sounds for a phone. Just my opinion though. And besides the sound it's a great phone.

Oct 7, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #600 of 704
I have the s7 exynos and to me it sounds better then my iPhone 6s.to me it has a wider soundstage and better detailed then the iPhone and not quit in your face like the iPhone.I'm just using Google music right now and wow it sounds really good. Does it go as loud as the iPhone?? No it doesn't but loud enough really.I'm actually surprised how well it sounds for a phone. Just my opinion though. And besides the sound it's a great phone.

I am an S7E (Exynos) user and prefer it and Android in general over the iPhone but personally I felt that out of the box the 6S Plus (Wife & Son use them) sounded better; however after rooting my S7 and tweaking some of the settings I think that the S7 just about edges past the iPhone but there isn't much in it.

Rooting and tweaking the audio settings also cures the volume issue, the S7E has plenty of power but the standard settings don't unleash it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back