Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
May 11, 2016 at 4:13 AM Post #421 of 704
  I just finished reading this thread - all 28 pages. And I have to say it's impossible to get any conclusion from the comments posted here. They are just completly opposite - some say it's one of the best audio-smartphones on the market, others say it's totally crap one (and I'm only reffering to S7 exynos version with CS/Wolfson chip here).

I really have to give it a go in some local store, because I'm hunting for ~5.0" audiophile's smartphone and S7 ticks all boxes with audio being the only real question mark.
This or waiting for something similar in terms of specs but with ESS/TI setup (or even AK/CS/WS+op-amp)...

Anyone tried S7 exynos with Phonak Audeo (basic ones, not 232...)???

Exactly, even I'm feeling the same. After going through all 28 pages still not clear whether to go for exynos s7 or not

To me both htc 10 and s7 looks good overall but not sure about sound quality

May 11, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #422 of 704

Exactly, even I'm feeling the same. After going through all 28 pages still not clear whether to go for exynos s7 or not

To me both htc 10 and s7 looks good overall but not sure about sound quality

Yeah, exactly. Moreover when you go to HTC 10 review by Whitigir, you can spot that he states that this phone with unnamed DAC (so I think we can safely assume, that it has snapdragon integrated DAC - otherwise it would be in commercials that 'it has Hi-Fi audio, hi-end DAC, extreme sound bla bla bla bla bla...) and op-amp sounds as good as LG V10 with all those invincible ESS DAC/amp...
Then you can read in similar threads that there's no way that anything without proper DAC/amp can go close to Sabre DAC+amp in terms of quality...
And then we are back again here to read that S7 with CL/WS ('cause let's be honest nobody believes that it is Samsung's DAC - it has to be Cirrus Logic's one regardless if it's Cirrus or Wolfson's 'case they are now one) is great and than that it is totally average...
Well as I have some sympathy for little bit warm Wolfson's stuff since I was user of iRivers of old and some unsympathy for old&cold Cirrus's DACs due to my IEM preferences (mainy Phonak Audeo and TDK IE800) I'd go for this S7...
But now I have no idea what to expect...

May 11, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #423 of 704
Maybe those comments where it is crap, it is because of EU volume limit?
Hmm... Either I've got hyper hearing these days, or any such claim is misguided...

Sure, it isn't as powerful as my Vorzuge Pure II+ on high gain at maximum volume, but it is still powerful enough to give me ringing in the ears after a couple of hours listening at max volume (not how I like to do things these days, but - sometimes it is fun to rebel every now and then!)

May 11, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #424 of 704
Quick reply to those interested. I believe that I have a very well trained pair of ears and was someone who thought sources don't have much of an impact on sound quality because recent DAPs were relatively all comparable. And whilst I have not heard other flagships, my impression of the exynos S7 edge korean version is that it sounds absolutely stunning with noticeable improvements to bass extension, soundstage starting to feel out of head with FX850, detail levels making my EQed FX850 trump my HE400. Honestly did not think my FX850 was capable of these things. Again, I would like to highlight that I have not tried new flagships but things like the G3, Note 3, S6 and the S7 is blatantly obvious to me it is a step above those mentioned. Another point is that the S7 Edge Silver version is a perfect phone from my experience lol.

EDIT: My assumption to those complaining is that it does not have much volume but IMO is more than plenty for most earphones. Also the S7 does not have a warm sound like the old Wolfsons or most other mediocre sources have which may be another reason others might not like so much.

May 11, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #425 of 704
Quick reply to those interested. I believe that I have a very well trained pair of ears and was someone who thought sources don't have much of an impact on sound quality because recent DAPs were relatively all comparable. And whilst I have not heard other flagships, my impression of the exynos S7 edge korean version is that it sounds absolutely stunning with noticeable improvements to bass extension, soundstage starting to feel out of head with FX850, detail levels making my EQed FX850 trump my HE400. Honestly did not think my FX850 was capable of these things. Again, I would like to highlight that I have not tried new flagships but things like the G3, Note 3, S6 and the S7 is blatantly obvious to me it is a step above those mentioned. Another point is that the S7 Edge Silver version is a perfect phone from my experience lol.

EDIT: My assumption to those complaining is that it does not have much volume but IMO is more than plenty for most earphones.

I have to turn the volume almost all the way up to listen and heard others with good headphones have to, too.

May 11, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #427 of 704
Galaxy S7 Exynos has Cirrus Logic DAC

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-audio-phone-2016-uk-whats-best-phone-for-music-lg-g5-htc-10-3633585/#s7-internal

" This comes from Samsung ditching the Wolfson DAC and replacing it with Cirrus Logic's CS47L91 Audio Codec, which is found in the G930F (Global) and G930FD (Southeast Asia) models that use the Samsung Exynos 8890 chipset"

May 12, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #429 of 704
I use S7 with my SM e10's and fidelio x2. I say s7 is pretty good in sound quality department. Not as good as my Nokia pureview 808 which for me in terms of mobile phone SQ is the absolute benchmark. I'm not audiophile but can easily notice differences.
On the go I pick S7 but if I'm at home I use 808 or stationary dac & amp (xonar essence stx) because they have more punch, separation and clarity.

May 12, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #430 of 704
May 13, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #431 of 704
I think my own special powers have answered my question, the 5 denotes I have the Edge version...

D'oh!

May 13, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #432 of 704

EDIT: My assumption to those complaining is that it does not have much volume but IMO is more than plenty for most earphones. Also the S7 does not have a warm sound like the old Wolfsons or most other mediocre sources have which may be another reason others might not like so much.

S7 edge silver (my phone) is nearly perfect, I use a chord mojo and ADEL A12's with mine.  It would be 100% perfect if android upsampling could be disabled system-wide, I can disable it via UAPP but that's only for files I have on-device and playback through Tidal.  I don't use Tidal but I do use bandcamp, stitcher, youtube, etc and would love if these streams weren't upsampled.  Upsampling is like making an incredible home made cake from scratch and then putting cheap horrible tasting icing on it.

May 13, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #433 of 704

S7 edge silver (my phone) is nearly perfect, I use a chord mojo and ADEL A12's with mine.  It would be 100% perfect if android upsampling could be disabled system-wide, I can disable it via UAPP but that's only for files I have on-device and playback through Tidal.  I don't use Tidal but I do use bandcamp, stitcher, youtube, etc and would love if these streams weren't upsampled.  Upsampling is like making an incredible home made cake from scratch and then putting cheap horrible tasting icing on it.

And without using a DAC, how is the sound?

May 13, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #434 of 704
I only have the HTC one m8 for comparison mobile wise. The m8 has higher volume, way more dynamic range,and just sounds cleaner allround. The s7 edge (European unlocked) is a clear step down to me. Tinny harsh highs and a weak amp. But the phone is kick ass otherwise. If smaller battery is OK for you I would look into the HTC 10 as HTC Ave history of amazing headphone output quality.

The s3 had stellar sound with custom kernels that implemented the wolfson DAC well. If you find a phone with a good sound chip I would suggest you see if there a custom ROMs or kernels that implement the chip well. It can be a game changer :blush:

May 13, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #435 of 704
  And without using a DAC, how is the sound?

Comparable to Iphone5 which I had previously, I don't view it as a huge downgrade or upgrade from that.  I don't listen much without my Mojo except when I'm at the gym.  I use CIEMs with 12 drivers and a 16 ohm output impedance(very hard to drive) and I listen at less than half way up the volume slider without my mojo, probably closer to 1/4.  I can see how people trying to use actual headphones might not be able to get enough volume but anyone using CIEMs/IEMs should have plenty of volume unless their hearing is damaged. 

I have the American S7 Edge btw.

I'm willing to trade off the native upsampling for a better overall ecosystem with android than with ios.  Sound isn't my only concern as I mostly use Mojo anyway, the AMOLED screen and gear VR are amazing.  The ability to install apps that aren't in the app store, the beautiful appearance, the camera that does well in low light, the massive battery.  Love my S7 edge, best phone I've ever had.  I've had iphone 3, 4, 5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back