Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 16, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #226 of 704
Excellent! After all Huaweii is the second largest brand in China behind Apples, which is only 4% behind. They have gotta do something right
smily_headphones1.gif
. Is the Huaweii P9 supposed to be the flagship ?

As far as I know their P series ain't their flagship devices. Their Mate series has been that. However they should have the same processor and stuff so I hope they will continue what they started with the Mate 8 regarding audio. The P9 will come in different variations.

Mar 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #227 of 704
I haven't read anything, including this thread, about the s7 sound quality. My general thoughts after a week of use (upgraded from an s5) with UE18 Pro and SE535 is that Samsung increased extension on both ends but removed bass weight, some midrange is missing, and they turned up the treble a few dbs. The s5 sounds inviting and smooth with good weight, and the s7 is borderline annoyingly bright and thin. I just want to keep turning the volume down. It sounds almost like a power saving bluetooth signature. Combine that with keyboard lag, freezing lock screen, and anemic battery life, I may just return it. Now to go see what you guys are thinking...

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #228 of 704
  I haven't read anything, including this thread, about the s7 sound quality. My general thoughts after a week of use (upgraded from an s5) with UE18 Pro and SE535 is that Samsung increased extension on both ends but removed bass weight, some midrange is missing, and they turned up the treble a few dbs. The s5 sounds inviting and smooth with good weight, and the s7 is borderline annoyingly bright and thin. I just want to keep turning the volume down. It sounds almost like a power saving bluetooth signature. Combine that with keyboard lag, freezing lock screen, and anemic battery life, I may just return it. Now to go see what you guys are thinking...

I'm thinking your using a phone other than an S7, I get none of theses "Combine that with keyboard lag, freezing lock screen, and anaemic battery life" and the S5 sounds crap by comparison. (Unless your using the Snapdragon version as I've not tried that one).

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:51 AM Post #229 of 704

I'm thinking your using a phone other than an S7, I get none of theses "Combine that with keyboard lag, freezing lock screen, and anaemic battery life" and the S5 sounds crap by comparison. (Unless your using the Snapdragon version as I've not tried that one).

Definitely using an s7, snapdragon version. The audio difference wasn't subtle. My keyboard input intermittently lags in firefox, my lock screen has become unresponsive several times, and compared to my s5 the battery just doesn't last as long. Not sure what else to say.

Mar 16, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #230 of 704
i'm still perplexed as to my core question--is the headphone volume of the s7 sufficient? the posts here and the very limited test data online appear kinda conflicting--some opine it's output volume is very low, others suggest it's better than the s6 and quite good. i'd be most appreciative if other actual users of the (us version) s7 wiegh in.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #231 of 704
  i'm still perplexed as to my core question--is the headphone volume of the s7 sufficient? the posts here and the very limited test data online appear kinda conflicting--some opine it's output volume is very low, others suggest it's better than the s6 and quite good. i'd be most appreciative if other actual users of the (us version) s7 wiegh in.

US version here. In a silent room I'm listening one click below 50% with my UE18 Pro. Anything above the high level warning is way too loud for me.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #232 of 704
Slightly off-topic,but I noticed that my S7 3000 mAh battery isn't better than my iPhone 5s 1550 mAh battery (although both are completely different devices of course). The S7 gets impressive results in these tests:

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_battery_life-blog-17202.php

I have my S7 for 2 days now, but I noticed that the battery drains to 60% if I surf the Internet for half an hour + a handful of e-mail checking that don't last more than 20 seconds. Alltogether probably 40 minutes of total usage drains the battery to 60%. When I get it off the charger in the morning, it starts to drain the battery by 1% per 10 or 15 minutes by doing nothing at all. No apps are running in the background.

Maybe I should turn off a lot of notifications because they are enabled for every app that I installed so far. Perhaps the constant pulling for notifications is using my battery. I could also check the location services.

On the plus side, the S7 charges very quickly, even without fast charging. I got it back to 100% from 61% in no time using a power brick.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #233 of 704

I have the Exynos Edge version with the larger battery and its super slick in operation, last ages and sounds great. Glad we didn't have the Snapdragon version in Europe !!

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #234 of 704

Its lower than volume output of an iPhone or HTC but higher than the S6/Z5. I'd say close to my Snapdragon Note 4. Fine for sub 50ohm Impedance IEM's but sure you would need an Amp for demanding IEM's/Headphones.

Apart for being impossible to get a decent screen protector for an "Edge" phone its the best all-round phone I've had and I've had or tried most mainstream ones (not V10 or Chinese brand phones). I'm still very fond of the smaller iPhone 5S which I think is a classic of its size and wife won't move from.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #236 of 704
Just picked up my S7 edge today, to replace my S6 edge with the digital display cover

What a delightful phone....

Gonna try the music player on it tomorrow and see if it's worth adding a sd card with music.....

Mar 16, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #237 of 704
gentlemen:
thanks for the feedback--exactly what i was looking for. the quandry for me is whether to upgrade to the s7 from my perfectly serviceable htc m8 (which has good battery life and estimable audio chops, the two most important criteria for me), esp. with the g5 and the m10 about to roll out. the consensus i'm gleaning is that the s7, while great as a phone, may not live up to hope/hype as a music player?

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #238 of 704
  gentlemen:
thanks for the feedback--exactly what i was looking for. the quandry for me is whether to upgrade to the s7 from my perfectly serviceable htc m8 (which has good battery life and estimable audio chops, the two most important criteria for me), esp. with the g5 and the m10 about to roll out. the consensus i'm gleaning is that the s7, while great as a phone, may not live up to hope/hype as a music player?

From what I'm reading the Snapdragon version may have poor sound quality while my experience with the Exynos version is that it is good and better than the S6/Z5/iPhone. I still think the Z3 with twin dedicated DAC's sounded better and I'm sure the V10 & G5 with audio module will be better.

My view is the Exynos Edge version is an excellent phone in all areas and the Audio quality will please 99% of owners. For better audio connect a Chord Mojo by USB or get a phone that's likely inferior to the S7 in most areas but excels in Audio such as the V10 or other.

Mar 16, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #239 of 704
  Just picked up my S7 edge today, to replace my S6 edge with the digital display cover

What a delightful phone....

Gonna try the music player on it tomorrow and see if it's worth adding a sd card with music.....

As a Member of the Trade and a "Headphoneus Supremus" will be great to read your feedback especially if you have the Exynos version. If you say its crap I think I will need to get my hearing tested !!

After recommendations I'm now using the Poweramp Alpa App for my flac/DSD files (still Spotify Extreme for subscription music).

Mar 16, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #240 of 704
psikey, unfortunately (i think) only the snapdragon is available in the us + the v10 (which seems to be the current consensus audiophile phone) isn't available on my carrier. funny how as you get old you start obsessing about this stuff, but better phones than politics.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back