Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 13, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #196 of 704
I have the S7 Exynos with Lucky Audio Chip for now 4 Days.

What I can tell for now is that the Sound is very different to my HTC M8 tested with Ultimate Ears Triple Fi10 and Fischer Amps FA 4 Rhapsody.

Later I will compare the Ultimate IPhone 4s.

The Vocals are a bit behind in the Exynos, so u think the Room is a bit wider, but it's not.

Not much my Preference, but the Rest of the Spectrum of the Sound is Delicious.

That means, it goes really deep Bass going there, which is really clear and not muddy.

The Highs are Really Crisp and really going High and are good separated with the Bass and and the Rest.

And really Nice Instrument Separation, you can hear every Nuance.

I hope an Updat3 can Fix the Vocals a bit, I miss the reqlistic intimate Vocals on my HTC M8, but it does npt mean that the M8 was Intimate Sounding, But definitely Better Vocals, it is catcher!!

I will write maybe later more about it.

Mar 13, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #197 of 704
As a new user coming from the Xperia Z2, i can only say my audio experience with the Exynos S7 edge have been nothing short of fantastic! Everything just sound so much better!

Mar 14, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #198 of 704
I measured the S7 Edge Snapdragon edition in AP today. Find all the details here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/s7-edge-headphone-output-measurements-t3336123.

Setup
  1. Audio Precision APx525
  2. Loaded (unless specified): 16 Ohm

Summary:
Supports high resolution playback up to 192 kHz. 
Flat frequency response: <0.08 dB delta upto 96 kHz
Very good dynamic range: 93 dB
LOW output level: -9dBV (360mV using a 0dBFS signal) into a 16 Ohm load (for reference, Asian iPhone 6 = -1 dBV)
Output impedance: 5.6 Ohm
Crosstalk: didn't have to means to this measurement, sorry
THD+N: at nominal level = max 0.05%, at maximum level = max 0.7%

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #199 of 704
I measured the S7 Edge Snapdragon edition in AP today. Find all the details here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/how-to/s7-edge-headphone-output-measurements-t3336123.

[COLOR=454545]Setup[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]
  • Audio Precision APx525
  • Loaded (unless specified): 16 Ohm
[/COLOR]
Summary:

[COLOR=FF0000]LOW[/COLOR] output level: [COLOR=FF0000]-9dBV[/COLOR] (360mV using a 0dBFS signal) into a 16 Ohm load (for reference, Asian iPhone 6 = -1 dBV)

[COLOR=FF0000]THD+N: at nominal level = max 0.05%, at maximum level = max 0.7%[/COLOR]

This confirmed that the Exynos version is much better :D, and again. The typical Samsung variants

Mar 14, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #200 of 704

[COLOR=454545]Setup[/COLOR]
[COLOR=454545]
  • Audio Precision APx525
  • Loaded (unless specified): 16 Ohm
[/COLOR]
Summary:

[COLOR=FF0000]LOW[/COLOR] output level: [COLOR=FF0000]-9dBV[/COLOR] (360mV using a 0dBFS signal) into a 16 Ohm load (for reference, Asian iPhone 6 = -1 dBV)

[COLOR=FF0000]THD+N: at nominal level = max 0.05%, at maximum level = max 0.7%[/COLOR]

Maybe the output impedence is taking a toll on multi ba iems. Can it be the reason why people are having different opinions?

Mar 14, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #201 of 704
Maybe the output impedence is taking a toll on multi ba iems. Can it be the reason why people are having different opinions?

It's definitely one, if not the only, reason why people are noting audible frequency shift differences. The FR is ruler flat in a static load.

Mar 14, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #203 of 704
This is a bold claim, very bold. But I still have a hard time looking up the DAC and Amp inside the Mate 8. Hisiliconhi dAC...what Amp ? Lol...I also read where else that Mate8 sound is nothing special. Here, I think you are saying that it is very special ? Very interesting

Hi Whitigir,

I have no skin in this game and normally would never mingle in a discussion since I don't own a Mate 8.

I do however own a LG V10 and compared it last week to the Mate 8 and S7 Edge (Exynos version I assume: I am in Germany) in a large chainstore. I listened on all 3 phones to 2 different tracks which I always use for personal comparison. 1 - Schehrzadeh from Rimsky Korsakov (Classical Music) and 2 - Shattered Fortress from Dream Theater which is Rock with a lot dramatic guitar play. All my files are stored and played as FLACs.

My earphones are a pair of Xiaomi-Piston-earbuds (The rose gold colored one in the link below).
http://www.phonearena.com/news/15-best-hi-fi-earbuds-for-your-Android-iPhone-and-other-devices_id65916

Result:
The S7 was disappointing compared to my V10 which is not surprising at all. The sound stage was definitely not as wide and sounds were not very clear and separated. The male voices sounded muffled (forgive the lack of better word, I am not an expert).

What actually may surprise you is how well the Mate 8 was! Seriously. The sound was clear and instruments all sounded clean. Even when I increased the volume. With clean sound I mean I can hear all the different classical instruments separately. No sound "spillage". I also liked the width of the sound stage better than the S7. The guitar play was quite dramatic and I had chills from it :) 

My non scientific personal conclusion:

1 - The Mate 8 and S7 are comparable (I mean they dont come close to V10) but between the 2 I prefer the Mate 8 sound over the S7. If I had to chose 1 phone between these 2 and not be able to use my V10 for music, I would definitively chose the Mate 8. Its clearly the better one.

2 - S7 and M8 are both NO MATCH for the V10.

and the search for the perfect dual sim phone continues....

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #204 of 704
I've got the snapdragon S7 Edge. Nothing special here, it's not terrible but it's not great either. Basically what you'd expect from the snapdragon DAC.

I can't seem to get mine working with my GOV2+, anyone else have this issue?

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:08 PM Post #205 of 704
Hi Whitigir,

I have no skin in this game and normally would never mingle in a discussion since I don't own a Mate 8.

I do however own a LG V10 and compared it last week to the Mate 8 and S7 Edge (Exynos version I assume: I am in Germany) in a large chainstore. I listened on all 3 phones to 2 different tracks which I always use for personal comparison. 1 - Schehrzadeh from Rimsky Korsakov (Classical Music) and 2 - Shattered Fortress from Dream Theater which is Rock with a lot dramatic guitar play. All my files are stored and played as FLACs.

My earphones are a pair of Xiaomi-Piston-earbuds (The rose gold colored one in the link below).
http://www.phonearena.com/news/15-best-hi-fi-earbuds-for-your-Android-iPhone-and-other-devices_id65916

Result:
The S7 was disappointing compared to my V10 which is not surprising at all. The sound stage was definitely not as wide and sounds were not very clear and separated. The male voices sounded muffled (forgive the lack of better word, I am not an expert).

What actually may surprise you is how well the Mate 8 was! Seriously. The sound was clear and instruments all sounded clean. Even when I increased the volume. With clean sound I mean I can hear all the different classical instruments separately. No sound "spillage". I also liked the width of the sound stage better than the S7. The guitar play was quite dramatic and I had chills from it :) 

My non scientific personal conclusion:

1 - The Mate 8 and S7 are comparable (I mean they dont come close to V10) but between the 2 I prefer the Mate 8 sound over the S7. If I had to chose 1 phone between these 2 and not be able to use my V10 for music, I would definitively chose the Mate 8. Its clearly the better one.

2 - S7 and M8 are both NO MATCH for the V10.

and the search for the perfect dual sim phone continues....

That was awesome , thanks for impressions. V10 is still the king, until G5 and hifi module :)

Mar 14, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #206 of 704
A
o2smile.gif
Dual Sim
o2smile.gif
 G5 with HiFi module!!

Mar 14, 2016 at 6:29 PM Post #207 of 704
I got my Galaxy S7 Exynos 8890 today. It's a very nice smartphone, but the sound quality pales compared to the AK100 II. I'm using the SE846 and Onkyo HF Player. Like others mentioned, the S7's amplifier is weak. The AK100 II completely destroys the S7 in the sound quality department. The AK100 II is so far ahead in sound quality, it's pointless to even compare. Even my iPhone 5s has a noticeably better DAC/amp compared to the S7's Exynos 8890. One thing that's very weak on the S7 is the bass. Now, it's time to wait for the OPPO HA-2 DAC/amp that I ordered. I also used Poweramp, but that makes the volume go even lower than Onkyo HF Player.

Mar 15, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #208 of 704
Something strange going on here as I also use SE846's with Exynos S7 and bass is fantastic and plenty of amp power for the Shure's. I'm not saying it compares to my Chord Mojo but sounds great with Spotify Extreme or Flac/DSD via Poweramp Alpha.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:39 AM Post #210 of 704
Both my iPhone 5s and AK100 II have significantly tighter bass than the S7. It doesn't bother me though because I was planning to use an external SABRE32 DAC anyway. I really like the S7 so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back