Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 13, 2016 at 12:25 AM Post #182 of 704
  exynos or snapdragon  S7?

I have the exynos version. 

Note that kully1972 has the Exynos version. Snapdragon and Exynos don't sound the same.

I also have the exynos version as I'm in Europe.

Not sure which of them should be best. Let's hope anyway the Snapdragon does not perform worse. But the general idea on the internet is that the Exynos version should sound better than the one with Snapdragon?

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #183 of 704
Yes the Exynos version is the uk version. They must sound vastly diffetent as i cannot support the bland sounding statment.
You have to remember some people have a hidden agenda not to mention trolls.
I cannot talk for everybody and having been an audiophile for 30 yrs (since I was 14) the s7 edge sounds nothing short of revolutionary. My only qualm is the ltd loudness for high impedance headphones but my B&O H3s are loud enough reaching 80 percent vol max on even the least loud vinyl flacs.
The s3 for the uk market and which i owned was a snapdragon one and sounded absolutely lifeless and even the pitch was slightly slow. Unforgivable. The s7 edge is chalk and cheese in comparison.
As i said earlier ive owned a htc m7 & a m9 over the last 2 yrs and whilst they have a thick driving sound albeit with a slightly soft bass they cannot convey the music with the clarity, precision and 3 dimensional soundstage the s7 edge has.
Been listening to appetite for destruction and phil collins and the difference in the sound signatures is huge each having their own merits but the resolution of the s7 edge makes me realize we've finally arrived at a high end sound for the masses.

Mar 13, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #184 of 704
Yes the Exynos version is the uk version. They must sound vastly diffetent as i cannot support the bland sounding statment.
I cannot talk for everybody and having been an audiophile for 30 yrs (since I was 14) the s7 edge sounds nothing short of revolutionary. My only qualm is the ltd loudness for high impedance headphones but my B&O H3s are loud enough reaching 80 percent vol max on even the lowest vinyl flacs.
The s3 for the uk market and which i owned was a snapdragon one and sounded absolutely lifeless and even the pitch was slightly slow. Unforgivable. The s7 edge is chalk and cheese in comparison.
As i said earlier ive owned a htc m7 & a m9 over the last 2 yrs and whilst they have a thick slightly soft bass sound they cannot convey the music with the clarity, precision and 3 dimensional soundstage the s7 edge has.

Well, the S7 does not really sound "bad" in any way. But honestly it pales in comparison with my Huawei Mate 8 as there is a very notieceable difference in favour of the Mate 8. The difference is I get amazed by the Mate 8 and get chills down my spine while listening to music becuase of the depth of the sound. I don't get the same feeling at all with my S7 as it does sound flatter.

My iPhone 6S Plus, Lumia 1520 and S7 Edge are about in the same league overall with some differences. The Mate 8 easily and clearly has the better sound than all of them. It even has slightly better sound than my Meizu Pro 5, which has an internal DAC and amps. Both Meizu and Huawei stand above all other phones I've had, but the Mate 8 has the slight edge between the two of them anyway. The Meizu has a lot more power to it though and volume levels go crazy high.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #185 of 704
Well, the S7 does not really sound "bad" in any way. But honestly it pales in comparison with my Huawei Mate 8 as there is a very notieceable difference in favour of the Mate 8. The difference is I get amazed by the Mate 8 and get chills down my spine while listening to music becuase of the depth of the sound. I don't get the same feeling at all with my S7 as it does sound flatter.

My iPhone 6S Plus, Lumia 1520 and S7 Edge are about in the same league overall with some differences. The Mate 8 easily and clearly has the better sound than all of them. It even has slightly better sound than my Meizu Pro 5, which has an internal DAC and amps. Both Meizu and Huawei stand above all other phones I've had, but the Mate 8 has the slight edge between the two of them anyway. The Meizu has a lot more power to it though and volume levels go crazy high.

This is a bold claim, very bold. But I still have a hard time looking up the DAC and Amp inside the Mate 8. Hisiliconhi dAC...what Amp ? Lol...I also read where else that Mate8 sound is nothing special. Here, I think you are saying that it is very special ? Very interesting

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #186 of 704
This is a bold claim, very bold. But I still have a hard time looking up the DAC and Amp inside the Mate 8. Hisiliconhi dAC...what Amp ? Lol...I also read where else that Mate8 sound is nothing special. Here, I think you are saying that it is very special ? Very interesting

I can only say what I hear. The only way to know for yourself is to try it out. But let me say this. I don't want to listen to music with any of my other phones now that the Mate 8 sounds so rich. I mean, the soundstage is clearly wider and a lot more depth to the sound. The difference ain't minor either. It's in a class of its own compared to my other phones.

GSMarena backs this up too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_8-review-1367p7.php

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #187 of 704
To counter the claim of hiss with SE846's, I get none during playback of a song, only slight noise between tracks which my Note 4 didn't have but you have to be nit-picking. The sound to my ears was only beaten by my Chord Mojo and more hiss with an Oppo HA-2. I'm still think my old Z3 may have been better but maybe just different signature.

People need the try the Exynos version for themselves, but I'm totally happy with the sound and the phone overall is superb.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #188 of 704
I can only say what I hear. The only way to know for yourself is to try it out. But let me say this. I don't want to listen to music with any of my other phones now that the Mate 8 sounds so rich. I mean, the soundstage is clearly wider and a lot more depth to the sound. The difference ain't minor either. It's in a class of its own compared to my other phones.

GSMarena backs this up too.

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_8-review-1367p7.php

The Dynamic range of Mate 8 is only 99db....which is very common for smartphones previously to the S7 Exynos. The S7 Exynos as linked above did test to be out and around 117db in Dynamic range....and you know there is a huge different based on the dynamic range alone ?

Though, it is very good to hear about your experiences. I can not test the Mate 8 unless I buy it, which I wouldn't as I can not justify doing so. In the end, seeing what is on the test and paper, I would believe the Exynos S7 to have better sound. But then again, the numbers on paper can only say so much, and real life performance is another matter

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #189 of 704
The Dynamic range of Mate 8 is only 99db....which is very common for smartphones previously to the S7 Exynos. The S7 Exynos as linked above did test to be out and around 117db in Dynamic range....and you know there is a huge different based on the dynamic range alone ?

I don't want to get in an argument here. I have both the S7 Edge (exynos version) and Mate 8 as well as a couple of other phones. My Mate 8 clearly sounds better with wider and richer sound than the other ones. You may doubt me if you want. In the meantime I'm enjoying my music more than ever with the Mate 8. It does actually make my S7 Edge sound a little flat in comparison. It does not have the same depth at all to the sound. I'm using a couple of Harman Kardon CL by the way for what it's worth.

Mar 13, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #190 of 704
I tried to compare the sound of v10 and s7 edge at at&t store yesterday via otg using my idsd and my stock samsung earbuds(no other good HP to use but this.) Anyway I play a song on youtube and the stock google music player. I notice that the v10 is a little noisy while playing song(i dont know how to describe the little popping sound and the static like noise) but it has a good instrument separation and wide sound stage. While in the s7 edge has a much quiet background and for my ears the soundstage is very little. The sound quality of s7 is a little behind than the v10. It also sound very thin to my ear.

***English is not my native language.

Mar 13, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #191 of 704
I tried to compare the sound of v10 and s7 edge at at&t store yesterday via otg using my idsd and my stock samsung earbuds(no other good HP to use but this.) Anyway I play a song on youtube and the stock google music player. I notice that the v10 is a little noisy while playing song(i dont know how to describe the little popping sound and the static like noise) but it has a good instrument separation and wide sound stage. While in the s7 edge has a much quiet background and for my ears the soundstage is very little. The sound quality of s7 is a little behind than the v10. It also sound very thin to my ear.

***English is not my native language.

You have heard of a bad V10 and is more likely defective as a demo unit. There are 99.999% of people reporting the V10 is black and dead quiet. I compared it against Sony Walkman NW-Zx2... Yes, it is that quiet, period.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #192 of 704
Hmm I have a question. I'm no audiophile in its proper sense in any way I'm just very picky when it comes to sound.

Could it be that components in a phone needs "breaking in" when it comes to its quality regarding audio output? The reason I'm asking is, it somehow magically overnight seems that my S7 Edge has closed in on the audio quality of my Mate 8 a bit. Not sure if imagination or what. Sounds a little wider today. Don't know what to think really.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #194 of 704
dt880smile.png

Well I don't know what it is but I can't hear the same kind of difference today. Brain short circuit I could buy that since I know my own brain pretty well after 37 years.

Mar 13, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #195 of 704
:dt880smile:

Well I don't know what it is but I can't hear the same kind of difference today. Brain short circuit I could buy that since I know my own brain pretty well after 37 years.

Now, download Poweramp alpha and hear the true Exynos s7 sound

http://forum.powerampapp.com/index.php?/topic/8494-poweramp-alpha-build-700/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back