Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 11, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #168 of 704
Damn...signal to noise ratio of 117 DB is extremely good. Harmonic distortion is 0.003 is also very good. Crosstalk of -104db is alright.

Good numbers overall

More like -49db with a 32 ohm earphones.. Which is just acceptable. Not great by any stretch.

These figures match my subjective impressions: good but not great (as iPhone and LG V10 are).

Unloaded measurements tell nothing about the headphone listening experience,

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #169 of 704
Day 2 with my exynos S7 edge. Just been doing some decent listening with my se846. Sounds great to these ears, great depth and soundstage, quite lively presentation. Have been using flac files on Poweramp as well as Spotify extreme.

Sounds quality aside, it's a terrific phone. Amazing screen, feels great in the hand. It is quite incredible that the screen is the same size as iPhone 6 plus but it feels so much more compact.

Mar 12, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #170 of 704
I bought one from att. Is there anyway to tell if I have the exynos? I broke the screen on my Sony Xperia z3 last week and I was due for an upgrade anyway. 14 day return policy so I'll see how I feel.

Haven't spent much time via wired on the Sennheiser momentum 2.0, but it does sound excellent. Bluetooth mode is OK but apparently the volume between the headset and phone itself aren't in tandem, and at higher volumes on poweramp the distortion is awful, but BT isn't exactly hi fi to begin with. Either way I kinda miss my Sony z3 compact for that reason, almost to the point where I might try to fix the screen and return the s7. The Sony has aptx streaming and kind of felt more fluid on the Sony.

Otherwise the s7 is a pretty dope phone, poweramp needs some tweaks though

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #171 of 704
Have to say fellas loving this phone more and more.
A lovely deep and open soundstage and magnificent detail. Stereo separation is fantastic.
Rediscovering old music.
2nd day listening all day at work and no listener fatigue.
Gets into the heart of todays overly produced music, and you can hear every level of vocals and instruments.
Mine is the exynos version

Compared to a Huawei Mate 8, the S7 sounds very flat unfortunately. There is a very big difference in favor to the Mate 8. Much, much better depth to the sound. The music takes you away in a whole other level.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #172 of 704

I bought one from att. Is there anyway to tell if I have the exynos?

Nope.

Quote:
  Compared to a Huawei Mate 8, the S7 sounds very flat unfortunately. There is a very big difference in favor to the Mate 8. Much, much better depth to the sound. The music takes you away in a whole other level.

Yeah, that Huawei sounds like a winner for such a 'rare' phone.

I'm waiting for about 100 hours of use before fully judging the sound quality. After 50+ hours the S7 Edge has impressive channel separation / stage width. Am liking the separation of sound / details of individual instruments/vocals and overall dynamics are pretty impressive for a cell phone. She's still a touch rough at the edges and hope this settles down once 100 or so hours has passed.

Am using Noble Kaiser 10 custom IEMs and Double Helix top-line silver cable with 3D printed rose gold connectors.

My only main criticism is that I wish Samsung had more volume level adjustments for a finer graduation of overall volume level output.

Mar 12, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #173 of 704

Yeah, that Huawei sounds like a winner for such a 'rare' phone.

I'm waiting for about 100 hours of use before fully judging the sound quality. After 50+ hours the S7 Edge has impressive channel separation / stage width. Am liking the separation of sound / details of individual instruments/vocals and overall dynamics are pretty impressive for a cell phone. She's still a touch rough at the edges and hope this settles down once 100 or so hours has passed.

Am using Noble Kaiser 10 custom IEMs and Double Helix top-line silver cable with 3D printed rose gold connectors.

My only main criticism is that I wish Samsung had more volume level adjustments for a finer graduation of overall volume level output.

If you ever get a chance to try out the Mate 8 in a quiet environment, do yourself a favour and do it. You will be amazed at the difference in quality from the S7. Really. It's very easy to hear the difference as the sound stage is a lot wider and better seperation of instruments and such.

Check the charts here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_8-review-1367p7.php

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #174 of 704
  If you ever get a chance to try out the Mate 8 in a quiet environment, do yourself a favour and do it. You will be amazed at the difference in quality from the S7. Really. It's very easy to hear the difference as the sound stage is a lot wider and better seperation of instruments and such.

Check the charts here:

http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_8-review-1367p7.php

exynos or snapdragon  S7?

I bought one from att. Is there anyway to tell if I have the exynos? I broke the screen on my Sony Xperia z3 last week and I was due for an upgrade anyway. 14 day return policy so I'll see how I feel.

Haven't spent much time via wired on the Sennheiser momentum 2.0, but it does sound excellent. Bluetooth mode is OK but apparently the volume between the headset and phone itself aren't in tandem, and at higher volumes on poweramp the distortion is awful, but BT isn't exactly hi fi to begin with. Either way I kinda miss my Sony z3 compact for that reason, almost to the point where I might try to fix the screen and return the s7. The Sony has aptx streaming and kind of felt more fluid on the Sony.

Otherwise the s7 is a pretty dope phone, poweramp needs some tweaks though

U.S. Phones use the Snapdragon SOC. But It Should be easy to check as it´s an quadcore and the Exynos an Octacore, just look in aida64 or on your box if you want to see it.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #175 of 704
had a brief session comparing galaxy s7 (exynos) and note 4 using shure se846 at this samsung plaza near my place today
s7 sounds sterile and lifeless in comparison. feels like s7 has lower low-mids/mids than note 4 and this makes the note 4 sound a lot more musical.
s7 (exynos) hisses with shure se846 too. faint but audible. nowhere close to galaxy jet s3 (cm 10.2) but certainly more than note 4.
the phone is amazing otherwise but since audio quality matters, i'm going to wait for htc 10. my mom owns htc one a9 and it is almost pitch black with the 846s.

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #176 of 704
My S7 is at the post office. I can pick it up tomorrow. I'll sell my Astell & Kern AK100 II and buy an OPPO HA-2 DAC/amp for my S7. I'm getting the HA-2 for the SABRE32 DAC, possibility to drive my Sennheiser HD650, slim housing and saving money. For me, there's no point in keeping the expensive, bulky AK100 II as a second device if my S7 and a super slim DAC do a better job. For outdoor usage, I can use the S7's stock Lucky DAC. At home and work, I'll use the HA-2.

Mar 12, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #177 of 704
Got my S7 Edge (european, Exynos chip) since a Week now.

Didnt listened really much, but i honestly didn't notice any big differences to my old HTC one M8 (which was really good... Low output impedance, 1.2 Volt output). If there are differences, then its just small nuances.

And, with either my Logitech UE 900 IEMs, or my Beyerdynamic T90 (250 Ohm), i could NOT endure max volume. It was disco-volume for me, and that's just way too much.
 Can't see myself every going max volume, as long a song isnt too quiet produced.

Soundquality is perfectly Fine to me.
And since i can't hear any noticeable differences with the UE 900, i guess the Output impedance should be low enough.

... Wonder, if the LG G5 sounds different, compared to the G5 + DAC slot.
For 100 bucks i expect a BIG difference, and not just "sounds 1,2% better".

Mar 12, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #178 of 704
My S7 is at the post office. I can pick it up tomorrow. I'll sell my Astell & Kern AK100 II and buy an OPPO HA-2 DAC/amp for my S7. I'm getting the HA-2 for the SABRE32 DAC, possibility to drive my Sennheiser HD650, slim housing and saving money. For me, there's no point in keeping the expensive, bulky AK100 II as a second device if my S7 and a super slim DAC do a better job. For outdoor usage, I can use the S7's stock Lucky DAC. At home and work, I'll use the HA-2.

I liked the change in sound accuracy going from S6 to S7.. but still thought I could go a step further with everything and got the Oppo HA-2.

It not only has a cleaner, clearer and more lively sound than Snapdragon DAC.. it is slightly louder and not fatiguing even with phone at max and analog knob at 5 with 32ohm MH40's.

If you are a mastering engineer and/or audiophile, the HA-2 is a no brainer.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #179 of 704
I liked the change in sound accuracy going from S6 to S7.. but still thought I could go a step further with everything and got the Oppo HA-2.

It not only has a cleaner, clearer and more lively sound than Snapdragon DAC.. it is slightly louder and not fatiguing even with phone at max and analog knob at 5 with 32ohm MH40's.

If you are a mastering engineer and/or audiophile, the HA-2 is a no brainer.
I ordered the HA-2 and hope to get it soon. I had an ESS SABRE32 DAP before and I liked the 3D-like soundstage that it had more than the neutral Cirrus Logic CS4398 sound of the AK100 II. The 3D soundstage just makes the music more epic and impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back