Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Mar 2, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #62 of 704
does anyone know anything about this phone's output impedance?
would also love to know if the s7 hisses with shure se846.
Same question for me. I'm currently using an iPhone 5s which sounds great. The SE846 is only 9 ohm so it should be no problem for the Galaxy S7. I've got an AK100 II, but I want to use the S7 for music outdoors. I'll receive my S7 two weeks from now. I'll post my experience with the SE846.

Mar 2, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #63 of 704
Same question for me. I'm currently using an iPhone 5s which sounds great. The SE846 is only 9 ohm so it should be no problem for the Galaxy S7. I've got an AK100 II, but I want to use the S7 for music outdoors. I'll receive my S7 two weeks from now. I'll post my experience with the SE846.

I might have an 8 ohm pair of IEMs somewhere that I'll try and see if I can detect a hiss. 

-Collin-

Mar 2, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #65 of 704
  collin:
disappointing to hear that the volume sux--are you using a us edition of the s7 (sometimes the european editions are  volume limited)?

Definitely a US version with the Snapdragon 820. 

It's a shame, I LOVE everything else about the phone. Going to do some more listening/comparing after work today and I'll report back. 

-Collin-

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #66 of 704
Well, I just A/B'd quite a few tracks with my iPhone 6S and S7 Edge and I'm a little disappointed. The volume is the most apparent difference where when the S7 Edge is all the way up, the iPhone is right around 70-75% of the way up. This was with Dunu DN-2000J IEMs, so not exactly the hardest thing to drive. The iPhone is brighter; the treble difference is very discernible and I found this to be the same case with my Nexus 6P. I noticed a treble roll off with my Nexus and now the S7 Edge (all signs of the Snapdragon DAC?). Really though, the S7 Edge doesn't sound bad, per se, but with such a different sound signature and lesser volume it is just not as enjoyable a listen to me. Maybe those who prefer more of an emphasis on the bass will appreciate it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the bass response is great on it. 

I'm sort of the wrong person for this comparison because sound quality is like wine to me: I like what I like, but my tastes don't always correlate to a $5,000 bottle tasting better than a $50 bottle. That said, I strongly prefer listening to my 6S to the S7e and to me, the S7e took a giant step backward from the S6 and Note 5 I had. I also had the LG V10 and while I'm going by memory, was far, far superior to this. 

Bummer. 

-Collin-

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #67 of 704
Well, I just A/B'd quite a few tracks with my iPhone 6S and S7 Edge and I'm a little disappointed. The volume is the most apparent difference where when the S7 Edge is all the way up, the iPhone is right around 70-75% of the way up. This was with Dunu DN-2000J IEMs, so not exactly the hardest thing to drive. The iPhone is brighter; the treble difference is very discernible and I found this to be the same case with my Nexus 6P. I noticed a treble roll off with my Nexus and now the S7 Edge (all signs of the Snapdragon DAC?). Really though, the S7 Edge doesn't sound bad, per se, but with such a different sound signature and lesser volume it is just not as enjoyable a listen to me. Maybe those who prefer more of an emphasis on the bass will appreciate it, but I wouldn't go so far as to say the bass response is great on it. 

I'm sort of the wrong person for this comparison because sound quality is like wine to me: I like what I like, but my tastes don't always correlate to a $5,000 bottle tasting better than a $50 bottle. That said, I strongly prefer listening to my 6S to the S7e and to me, the S7e took a giant step backward from the S6 and Note 5 I had. I also had the LG V10 and while I'm going by memory, was far, far superior to this. 

Bummer. 

-Collin-

Thank you ! It makes a lot of senses since you have SnapDragon DAC :), and typical Samsung "no care about hifi".

Mar 2, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #68 of 704
Thank you ! It makes a lot of senses since you have SnapDragon DAC
smily_headphones1.gif
, and typical Samsung "no care about hifi".

I hope someone chimes in and tells me I'm wrong. I will gladly eat my own words, but I just don't hear anything special here and I definitely did with the V10.  

I really am curious about the DAC though. Here's a photo of the device info next to my Nexus 6P. It really does not look like a Qualcomm DAC. I wonder if Qualcomm has some different sort of integrated audio in this generation? The reddit thread was right. 

Edit:

Aha! This article says DSP Group's chips were chosen for "a large customer" thought to be Samsung for their S7:

http://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/news/article.asp?docKey=600-201601131535KRTRIB__BUSNEWS_52538_54383-1&ex=true&ticker=BDR

Interesting. 

-Collin-

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #69 of 704
Thanks for your thoughts!  Disappointed that it doesn't match your Note 5 in terms of SQ.  That's the device I'm coming from (to the S7).  How do you like your S7, otherwise, compared to the Note 5/S6.

Also:  I'm on the fence.  I have a regular S7 pre-ordered but the Edge is calling me. 

Mar 2, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #70 of 704
  Thanks for your thoughts!  Disappointed that it doesn't match your Note 5 in terms of SQ.  That's the device I'm coming from (to the S7).  How do you like your S7, otherwise, compared to the Note 5/S6.

Also:  I'm on the fence.  I have a regular S7 pre-ordered but the Edge is calling me. 

My pleasure. Audio aside, I like the S7 Edge a lot better than the Note 5. For me the Note 5 was too big and too small a battery. The S7 Edge has a bigger battery than the normal S7, so that was my main reason. I also think a 5.5" screen is really nice, though 5.3" on the G5 would probably be perfect :) Oh, and you can spill beer on the S7 without worry!

The camera is insane on this thing. It focuses instantly and the photos look gorgeous. The Note 5 had an amazing camera, but the S7 is even better. For me, the Edge won out because the 5.1" screen on the S7 is too close the iPhone 6S that I have to keep in my other pocket. 

-Collin-

Mar 3, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #71 of 704
I'm in UK and should get my pre-order of S7 Edge by the 8th March and from what I'm reading the UK is said to be getting the Exynos.

I use SE846's so will leave my impressions when it arrives and be comparing directly to my Note 4 Snapdragon (which I've always found great), and a Z5 compact.

I did previously use external DAC's (Mojo/HA-2/Dragonfly) but gone back to using just a smartphone for convenience (though I'm likely to get a Mojo again at some point as just too good and missing it.) 

Mar 3, 2016 at 6:06 AM Post #72 of 704
I agreed that note 4 Snapdragon sounded better than it Wolfson counter part :frowning2:, out of the stock player. Now, the interesting thing is that I love both cirrus and Wolfson which is now merged. The DAC in the S7 is named Lucky Xxxx. I think it may have been a System on Chip kind of ? Because both of these guys do make them, and their chips can even do DSD natively.

It will be very interesting to see how this one turn out. Could be a game changer, or it could be just ..... Like the Note 4 with Wolfson DAC which failed at implementations

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #73 of 704
Thanks for the information, Collin. I guess they used a weak amplifier in the S7. Like you said, the iPhone is loud enough at 60% volume. I'll probably keep my Astell & Kern AK100 II.

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #75 of 704
I've seen the LG G5, but I don't agree with the way it works. You need to plug in a (bulky) module for a better camera or better sound. That makes me wonder, why not give the smartphone a good camera and sound chip in the first place? If I need to carry an extra sound module, I might as well carry a high-end DAP besides my smartphone. Of course, I can keep the sound module plugged in, but the G5's looks (especially the rear and attached module) isn't my taste. I also wonder if the Bang & Olufsen module is good enough. B&O is a premium lifestyle brand. It focuses on making equipment look impressive on the outside.

The S7 is a fantastic phone, but it would be perfect if they implemented a decent DAC and amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back