Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Jun 22, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #529 of 704
The audio is nice on the S7, but I have to give it to the LG V10, sounds a bit better, especially with movies. Definitely more noticeable with movies. Still a great phone.

Are you referring to the V10 as a great phone or the S7? Is the S7 still decent audio wise? Would you still rate it as the best Samsung you've heard?

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:30 PM Post #530 of 704
No, V10 is better audio wise. Overall, both great phones. I haven't messed with the S7 enough yet. Still lots of great things to play with.

Best movie app ever (legal). Has some on demand joints for free. No stuttering, a must have if you watch movies on your phone or tablet.

http://www.samsungapps.com/appquery/appDetail.as?appId=com.hongsovathna.sovathnamovies&cntyTxt=310&equipID=SM-G935T

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #536 of 704
Wish I knew why some USB cables do this, but most others do not...

No moisture, just something quirky with the cable (Xbox one charging cable FWIW)

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #537 of 704
What amps do you use with your s7? With few addons I think the s7 can compete with HTC 10 perhaps? Plus the S7 is a pretty much better overall phone so I might just buy an amp than get the HTC 10 solely because of its DAC/amp.

Jul 6, 2016 at 7:25 AM Post #539 of 704
So guys, I've finally got S7 Edge Exynos version on my own, as I could not find any relevant info regarding audio quality. I'll do direct comparison against LG G5+B&O Hifi Plus, which is almost identical to LG V10. I usually listen on 35 volume on G5 Hifi +. Plenty loud with all my headphones. On 40 it gets already fatigueing after a while, so I stick to 35. This is the same as on V10 as far as I can recall, both have 75 volume levels in Hifi mode. I can get to the same loudness on S7 Edge 3 steps below maximum volume. Of course it is much higher volume level at same loudness. Anyway, S7e can get plenty loud for me.
There is no hiss, background is pitch black on S7e as well as on LGs. Dynamics and extension are comparable. Sounstage is wide on both too. Bass is tight, speedy, well controlled and extended on both. If anything, S7E can sound a hair brighter to my ears, mainly with female vocals, but I am not so sure yet. I need more time with S7E. Apart from loudness / volume levels, which are different, the audio is excellent on both devices. Honestly, I struggle to pick any real difference or flaw in the sound produced from any of them with my gear and ears.
Unfortunately I don't have 2 sets of any of my headphones, so I have to unplug and plug-in again when comparing 1:1. What is little bit annoying on S7e is, that when I unplug and plug-in again, the volume level resets itself to default "blue" level (highest recommended, i guess). I then need to bump-up the volume level every time - depending on the headphones - by 2-3 steps (ie80 or DT1350) or to the max-1 (AKG 702). This makes 1:1 comparison more difficult (the LG's "preparing Hifi" pause adds to it too).
I'll do more reviewing in next days.
So far, I've reviewed some 24-bit material - Duft Punk:RAM and KEF Ultimate resolution disc, 16-bit CD quality, all lossless flacs via PlayerPro app. I'll try Power Amp app tomorrow, I got the trial version and subscribed to alpha testing :)

Here is the confirmation, that Exynos versions carry CirrusLogic DAC (Cirrus Logic CS47L91 Audio Codec): http://www.chipworks.com/about-chipworks/overview/blog/galaxy-s7-snapdragon-chipsets-vs-exynos-chipsets

Jul 6, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #540 of 704
Having both the G5 (and module) and S7E, I will say that the G5 is being misrepresented unless you have high impedance phones, that is where it comes to life...

The soundmagic e80 sounds sublime on the G5, making me reconsider my main portable rig, which is scary considering the cost difference!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back