Samsung Galaxy S7 - Best next audiophile phone?
Jun 14, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #511 of 704
I absolutely adore wireless charging, I just never thought it could be so massive. I bought the s7 charging stand a while ago and it's great. You just put it there and it'll start fast charging wireless. I recommend it to anyone with an s7, if you don't have it you might be missing out. also, this is another advantage it has over the htc 10. 

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #512 of 704
I gave it a listen, it's probably the best stock Sammy I've heard. I'll see if I can do some head to head comparisons between that and the LG V10.

Nice
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:39 PM Post #513 of 704
I absolutely adore wireless charging, I just never thought it could be so massive. I bought the s7 charging stand a while ago and it's great. You just put it there and it'll start fast charging wireless. I recommend it to anyone with an s7, if you don't have it you might be missing out. also, this is another advantage it has over the htc 10. 
Too true, which means you have essentially limitless power to use off board DACs such as the DragonFly series by AudioQuest...

Wasn't happy with the original charging pad (standard charge), but the charging stand, a whole different story.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #514 of 704
I tried wireless charging for the S6, love the feature, but it's too do slow. Need to order one for the S7. Good phone, but haven't had much time. To play with it yet.

Anyone here root theirs yet? Not sure if I will. I normally do for viper, but having the Fiio X7 fulfills that need.

Jun 15, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #515 of 704
I tried wireless charging for the S6, love the feature, but it's too do slow. Need to order one for the S7. Good phone, but haven't had much time. To play with it yet.

Anyone here root theirs yet? Not sure if I will. I normally do for viper, but having the Fiio X7 fulfills that need.

After having some time with it, from what you remember would you say the audio is better on the S7 compared to the Note II?

Jun 16, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #519 of 704
Everything is better on this than on the Sony Z5 Premium that I use alongside...

Happy days

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #520 of 704
Everything is better on this than on the Sony Z5 Premium that I use alongside...

Happy days

Nice. Even the audio performance?

I've ordered the S7E which will be arriving today but I've been worried that I've made a mistake as I picked it over the HTC 10, which from what I've read is a better performer in terms of audio. I picked the S7E as obviously I'm not picking a smartphone purely based on audio performance, I'm looking for the best smartphone overall which the S7E imo is. As long as the audio performance is decent and matches my broken Note II I'll be happy with it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:57 PM Post #521 of 704

I've ordered the S7E which will be arriving today but I've been worried that I've made a mistake as I picked it over the HTC 10, which from what I've read is a better performer in terms of audio. I picked the S7E as obviously I'm not picking a smartphone purely based on audio performance, I'm looking for the best smartphone overall which the S7E imo is. As long as the audio performance is decent and matches my broken Note II I'll be happy with it.

My personal view is that the audio performance of the S7E (Euro version) is adequate and is fine for music on the go, I wouldn't say it was good enough to connect a top notch set of headphones and have a proper listening session. With an external DAC/Amp it improves considerably.

As a phone it is pretty good, the screen is bright and crisp, the processor is fast and it runs everything you throw at it. If you accept that it is a smartphone first and DAP second you will be happy. If music is your top priority you may be disappointed.

Jun 17, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #522 of 704

You won't regret it, get the s7 wireless charging stand also. Also for a case, I recommend the Spigen Wallet S case. I've tried a lot of cases for this phone, and that one stands out the most, it also protects your screen, you won't have to bother buying screenprotectors which are hit or miss with the s7e. This case is a daily driver for me and I don't think I'll be changing it any time soon.

It's true that it doesn't enough power for full sized headphones (depending on the headphones), it is great with IEMs though. If you really need power just stack it with a portable dac/amp. Also correct, it is the best smartphone overall, the only good competitor is the Iphone 6s imo. 

Also a good HTC 10 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdA_SSXsvA

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #523 of 704

You won't regret it, get the s7 wireless charging stand also. Also for a case, I recommend the Spigen Wallet S case. I've tried a lot of cases for this phone, and that one stands out the most, it also protects your screen, you won't have to bother buying screenprotectors which are hit or miss with the s7e. This case is a daily driver for me and I don't think I'll be changing it any time soon.

It's true that it doesn't enough power for full sized headphones (depending on the headphones), it is great with IEMs though. If you really need power just stack it with a portable dac/amp. Also correct, it is the best smartphone overall, the only good competitor is the Iphone 6s imo. 

Also a good HTC 10 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSdA_SSXsvA

I've decided to send it back as the Note 6/7 is due out in August so only like 6 weeks to wait.

Jun 17, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #525 of 704
I cannot play Tidal at native sample rate (44.1 KHz) when connect S7 to Mojo. I have installed USB audio player pro as I read that it will do the trick. It plays native sample rates if I play music that are stored in the S7, but not while streaming Tidal. Is it something else I need to do to bypass upsampling with Mojo? 

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread

Back