Samsung Galaxy S4 compatible portable DAC/AMPs?
Aug 13, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #54 of 153
I'm not sure anybody is interested but I finally managed to get iBasso D10 Cobra work with my Galaxy S4 i9505. I was able to do it previously but only with "USB Audio Recorder PRO" bypassing samsungs/androids USB audio drivers/support. Thanks to patch these two are now connected and dance together like Beauty with a Beast :D without any special software. I think that applying that patch may help not only with iBasso D10 Cobra but with other DACs also. I know that eXtream team is planning to realease special service that will allow other apps to send audio via custom USB audio driver. But this is future and the above solution worked for me and no changes to any application is needed for this to work. Power Amp, Neutron, ... all you want works. 

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #56 of 153
Quote:
I'm not sure anybody is interested but I finally managed to get iBasso D10 Cobra work with my Galaxy S4 i9505. I was able to do it previously but only with "USB Audio Recorder PRO" bypassing samsungs/androids USB audio drivers/support. Thanks to patch these two are now connected and dance together like Beauty with a Beast :D without any special software. I think that applying that patch may help not only with iBasso D10 Cobra but with other DACs also. I know that eXtream team is planning to realease special service that will allow other apps to send audio via custom USB audio driver. But this is future and the above solution worked for me and no changes to any application is needed for this to work. Power Amp, Neutron, ... all you want works. 

What kernel did you use?

Aug 15, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #57 of 153
I'm sure this has been asked here before but I can't find a definitive answer either on here or online. 

I have a galaxy s4 and I am going to be connecting via some type of cable to something like an RSA intruder. My question is what do I set in the galaxy S4 to tell it to send the bit level audio out of the usb port? Is it something in the settings?

Aug 15, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #58 of 153
Quote:
What kernel did you use?

kernel: 3.4.0-1081224 se.infra@S0210-13#1 

It came with Omega ROM - which by the way is really good. But the kernel is stock. And besides. As far as I understand USB Audio Samsung proprietary driver is not compiled into the kernel itself. 

The most important thing which I did was to install this patch. Oryginally it has packages for 4.2.1 version of the android, and mine is 4.2.2 but it worked. To be honest I have no idea what it did but I suspect it has something to do with changing the output device when the USB DAC is connected. This patch has nothing to do with drivers. Drivers are allready there and working. 

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:46 AM Post #59 of 153
Quote:
I'm sure this has been asked here before but I can't find a definitive answer either on here or online. 

I have a galaxy s4 and I am going to be connecting via some type of cable to something like an RSA intruder. My question is what do I set in the galaxy S4 to tell it to send the bit level audio out of the usb port? Is it something in the settings?

Some kind of cable to some kind of DAC :D. Seems like you really need some help friend. First of all I salute you for buying Ray Samuels. I own SR-71A myself and I think that this is the best small electronics I have ever bought in my life. But back to your problem. 

What you need is USB otg cable. The best for your needs is micro to mini USB cable. I am not sure but from the pictures I can see that Intruder has mini USB not micro. Just make sure that this is the case. You can buy something like this:

http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-otg-on-the-go-c1507/0-5m-usb-otg-cable-black-type-micro-a-to-mini-b-p1209

You will have only one cable then. There are also some shorter versions by some fancy audio companies, but you will be forced to spend like 50$ for 2 inch cable so it is just stupid. 
You can also buy something like this:

http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B004ULZD7U/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and use it along with normal USB to mini USB cable that you probably allready have. 
You can also make the cable yourself which is realy easy.

As far as USB audio settings of your Galaxy S4 goes it might be simple or a little bit more complex. Depends on how these two (DAC and phone) will be willing to cooperate. 
  • Go to settings
  • Go to My device tab
  • Accessories
  • Audio output mode
  • Mark the checkbox to checked

Now forget about above steps I just wrote because it's bull$#%t that I found on some other thread. It has nothing to do with USB Audio whatsoever. The answer is that if after connecting your DAC (remember to switch it on) the sound goes through the speaker, something is wrong (connect and disconnect them at least 4 times to be sure !!!). For me this http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728 patch was the savior. Read the thread on xda. You may have some problems to make this patch to work. The adb.exe that comes with this patch is not working for some reason. You will have to replace it with the new one. What is adb.exe you don't have to know. Lets say that some application to enable communication with your android device. After applying this patch restart your phone. If it doesn't work for you some debugging will be necessary. 

Remember that there is "USB Audio Recorder PRO" application that bypasses the Samsung's driver completely. It has some very basic player with it also. People were very successful using it with many phone/DAC combinations. The company which did it is planning to release special android application(service) that will enable other applications to bypass the androids usb audio driver. 

There was a post about RS Predator and Galaxy SIII working together http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/150#post_8538933. SIII is reported to work with different set of DACs than SIV, but still I would ask this guy about what he did and if he had any problems. 

Hope this will help.

Aug 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #60 of 153
Quote:

Great news!

I don’t understand what is happened.

It should be interesting to compare the dmesg log output files with and without the patch.

There are other methods, unluckily not universal: 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/652535/if-your-usb-dac-does-not-work-with-your-android-phone-try-this
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/2565#post_9575279

Users who are viewing this thread

Back