Samsung Galaxy S Thread
Aug 11, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #46 of 203
I'm enjoying the Samsung Galaxy S (T-Mobile Vibrant version) immensely here also. FLAC files sound very fine when amped through my Mini3. I have a Fiio E7 on the way and hopefully it sounds good in combo too, since that will make a slimmer total package than bundling the Galaxy with the Mini3.

I can definitely hear the flatter response when plugging in the amp, due to its 10K ohm impedance that the Galaxy senses.

I'm hoping the "unknown artist" bug in the artist tag can be remedied though. If indeed it is a Samsung issue, hopefully they will fix it when pushing out the Froyo firmware (September hopefully). The other basic FLAC tags seem to work, plus cover art is showing.

I have only used the stock media player so far, although I have installed MixZing and ^3, and will give them a try.

I work for T-Mobile HQ in Factoria, WA, and I only wish we'd advertise this great handset more widely. IMHO it's mostly word-of-mouth and the online reviews that are getting customers into our stores for it.

Aug 12, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #47 of 203
Well, it seems that the skipping problem I've been experiencing can be remedied by putting the songs onto the external micro SD card instead of the internal one.  I was going to purchase extra memory anyway, so I'll try that and see if that fixes the problems.  Using btunes right now as my media player and I like its interface more than the stock player (more iphone like, with lot more customizable options).  I also hope that the FLAC tags are fixed as it composes a fair share of my music library.  And perhaps a better volume control because I feel that the volume jumps too much between levels.

Samsung should be more aggressive with marketing this phone internationally, because it'll surely do well... when I was in Korea a short time ago they were promoting it literally everywhere, and it was enjoying brisk sales there the last time I checked (nearing the 1 million mark already I believe).  It's just as good as or better than iphone 4G in most aspects perhaps except for the usability for casual users and choice of apps... and the call quality and music quality are both excellent.

Aug 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #48 of 203
Well, I've moved all my files to the external micro SD card and that seems to have alleviated the mp3 skipping issue entirely.  One issue still remains, however... my FLAC files still constantly skips... but the interesting thing is that the files are skipping in the SAME parts of the song (another funny thing is that the stock player and btunes skip at different parts of the song, but the part where it skips on each of them are still consistently the same).  This tells me either one of two things: 1) I transferred using the Windows Media player, which might have not done it properly (so I'll try drag and drop instead to see if that improves things) or 2) There's a glitch with the built-in FLAC decoder of the Galaxy S (I really hope this isn't the case, and if it is, Samsung better fix it with Froyo update).

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #49 of 203
ive had zero problems with my flac files, just out of curiosity are the flac files ones you download or ripped yourself? ive found dragging and dropping to be so much easier and quicker then trying to sync with windows media player, and ive still never been to get it to sync with kies. ive had problems with doubletwist too, but why deal with another program when i can just drag and drop.

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #50 of 203

Quote:
ive had zero problems with my flac files, just out of curiosity are the flac files ones you download or ripped yourself? ive found dragging and dropping to be so much easier and quicker then trying to sync with windows media player, and ive still never been to get it to sync with kies. ive had problems with doubletwist too, but why deal with another program when i can just drag and drop.

They're all ripped from my own CD's and they have absolutely no problems with any other media player/computer/PMP, so I'm pretty sure it's got to do with the transfer mechanism or the phone itself... just hope that it's the former.  I'll be trying it out sometime tm and hopefully all goes well.

Btw, I'm on Launcher Pro right now and really liking it better than the touchwiz.  Pretty addicted to this piece of gadget at the moment.  :D

Aug 14, 2010 at 2:06 PM Post #51 of 203
Damn... I've drag and dropped the FLAC stuff and the problem of skipping at the same place in the songs still remain.  This is really beginning to piss me off, as better half of my library is FLAC files.  Short of flashing different region firmware or rooting it (both of which I really want to avoid), is there really anything else I can do?  This is the only part of the phone that's been annoying to me so far, I love it otherwise...

Aug 15, 2010 at 1:57 PM Post #53 of 203
What percentage of your library does it skip on? How many songs within an album? The fact that it skips at the same place makes me think its a source problem, I would pick a high skip song/album and rerip with eac or dbpoweramp and see if it still skips in the same spots

Aug 15, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #54 of 203

Quote:
What percentage of your library does it skip on? How many songs within an album? The fact that it skips at the same place makes me think its a source problem, I would pick a high skip song/album and rerip with eac or dbpoweramp and see if it still skips in the same spots

Just the FLAC songs at the moment, which is unfortunately more than half of my entire library.  It's definitely not a source file problem as those same files play perfectly on every other media player/phone/computer I've tried and it's already ripped with 100% accuracy with EAC. 

for now, I've converted the favourites to the 320kbps and it plays those flawlessly... I can only hope that Froyo/new firmware next month will fix this glitch so that I won't have to bother with converting the rest (almost 100% certain this is a firmware/music player glitch at this point).  It's really too bad as FLAC playback was one of its main attractions and it doesn't do that properly for me.
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #55 of 203
How is the phone itself? I've seen a review that says that there's noticeable lag with the UI, and especially with the browser. It's between this and the iPhone, have a deposit down for the iPhone, but I can change the phone if I wanted. Bell has the Vibrant, but it seems like it's slightly different from the T-Mobile version. Biggest knock on the Galaxy S is the fact that it doesn't have flash for the camera, it'll definitely help for indoor shots.

Aug 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #56 of 203

Quote:
How is the phone itself? I've seen a review that says that there's noticeable lag with the UI, and especially with the browser. It's between this and the iPhone, have a deposit down for the iPhone, but I can change the phone if I wanted. Bell has the Vibrant, but it seems like it's slightly different from the T-Mobile version. Biggest knock on the Galaxy S is the fact that it doesn't have flash for the camera, it'll definitely help for indoor shots.

So far my Bell Vibrant version (which is more true to the original Korean version compared to the Captivate or American Vibrant... IMO looks more attractive) has been very snappy and responsive (at least with stock touchwiz... I've noticed launcher pro does slow it down slightly) and I'm very happy with the performance overall except for the aforementioned FLAC issues.  As long as you dont multitask with too many things I don't find that the UI slows down at all, and the browser has never given me any problems either... thus far it's equal in performance to my friend's iphone 4 from what I've seen, and when froyo comes out next month for it that'll probably speed things up even more.  The camera could definitely be better though... while it does great on daytime/light shots things become problematic when its dark.  It does have a night mode but using it blurs things up noticeably.  If camera is one of your bigger concerns iphone 4 is better in that regard overall.

Edit: There's a new firmware out for Bell now that supposedly fixes GPS problems; haven't done it yet myself however.  Also, if you are willing to root the phone then there are lag fixes out there which gets rid of any supposed lag ppl have.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:05 PM Post #57 of 203
Id say its opposite for most including me, luancherpro runs much faster and is less laggy than the stock touchwiz interface, I'm actually one of the ones that preferred the look of touchwiz look but launcherpro just works so well for me

Aug 16, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #58 of 203

Quote:
Id say its opposite for most including me, luancherpro runs much faster and is less laggy than the stock touchwiz interface, I'm actually one of the ones that preferred the look of touchwiz look but launcherpro just works so well for me

+2 launcher pro has been my preference too, at some point i even tried to delete touchwiz launcher lols.

Aug 16, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #59 of 203
I prefer launcher pro as well actually.  I still have it running although it does seem slightly laggier to me compared to touchwiz for me, since I like the look of it much better... and the slowdown only slight and isn't detrimental to anything anyway.

Aug 19, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #60 of 203
Purchased one yesterday, Samsung Galaxy S in Hong Kong. I would think this is the same as the Korean version for the most part. 

I switched from the blackberry 9700 and I have to say this is much, much better. The customisable icons, functions, feel really makes android flourish. Comparing to my mums iphone 4, I do believe it's still slightly slower at times when running multiple apps and such. Using Launcher Pro, it has helped with the overalspeed of the phone but there are still some issues with lag at times. I'm not quite sure if I want to root the phone yet though...

Anyhow, I hope the FLAC issue could be resolved..but from what I heard these big manufacturers like Samsung really dosn't give a rats a$$ about updating their phones. This could all be different, however, since they are working in adjunct with google now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back