Samsung Galaxy S Sound Quality
Aug 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #47 of 257
Finally flashed my SGS with DarkyROM 10.2 RE last week and with voodoo sound, I must say the SQ is significantly improved. I am happily listening to some FLAC files now on my phone :)

Aug 6, 2011 at 3:23 AM Post #48 of 257
Hey, I am using cowon iaudio 9 player, I concern on the sound quality. Is it worth to change to SGS as my main source to listen music? Due to SGS has provided much convenience. My IEM is westone um2. Thank you

Aug 6, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #49 of 257

Quote:
Hey, I am using cowon iaudio 9 player, I concern on the sound quality. Is it worth to change to SGS as my main source to listen music? Due to SGS has provided much convenience. My IEM is westone um2. Thank you

I've owned my Samsung Galaxy S since Dec 2010 and it is very frustrating handset. The hardware is solid but but Samsung's software sucks - using the stock Samsung firmware, I found the phone laggy and apps would crash very frequently. Upgrading to 2.3.3 certainly made the phone more usable, but compared to a HTC Desire S my gf recently bought, it felt slow and unresponsive. The SQ when using stock Samsung firmware is surprisingly BAD - and I don't consider myself fussy. It certainly sounded worse than any MP3 player I'v even used. 

After flashing to DarkyROM 10.2 RE, however, the SGS now sounds excellent. With voodoo sound, you get SQ that the SGS has the potential to deliver but never did with stock Samsung firmware. The phone is much more responsive and my quadrant scores for the phone have went from around 780 to over 2000. I can now play FLAC and enjoy my music with the handset.

You might also want to consider the issue of battery life, as I can barely get through a day with a single charge - and that is when I don't listen to music.

I think if you are comfortable with flashing ROMs etc, then the Samsung Galaxy S offers good SQ and a reduced price (where I am, the price has dropped considerably). But if you aren't comfortable with flashing ROMs I would stay away from the SGS.

P.S. >> By the way, this is the first time I ever flashed a ROM. With most SGSs, you can enter download mode via pressing 3-buttons, but this is not universal. My handset didn't have this initially, but after upgrading the stock Samsung firmware to 2.3.3., the 3-button download / recovery mode became available again. Once you can easily access the download mode, flashing ROMs becomes much easier - I managed it on my first attempt. So what I am saying is it isn't really difficult, but it is also not something you want to do without reading up as it does void the warrant.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #50 of 257
Strange..I found the stock firmware to be excellent without any issues or lag.

Anyway curiosity got the best of me since my phone was already rooted and decided to get a new ROM and I ended up choosing the most recent cyanogen mod. I also decided to install voodoo and it works out which is great so I can hear for myself if it is good or not. Right now I'll be on poweramp+voodoo. On a side note thankfully I backed up everything since there was some issues installing it originally but eventually it worked out.

For some reason I cant get some of the old apps back via titanium backup since it just hangs on restoring but I'll get over it. I've been getting my apps back and the samsung stock did have some nice apps such as the calendar and the calculator one which i did use but there's always a substitute.

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #51 of 257

Quote:

I've owned my Samsung Galaxy S since Dec 2010 and it is very frustrating handset. The hardware is solid but but Samsung's software sucks - using the stock Samsung firmware, I found the phone laggy and apps would crash very frequently. Upgrading to 2.3.3 certainly made the phone more usable, but compared to a HTC Desire S my gf recently bought, it felt slow and unresponsive. The SQ when using stock Samsung firmware is surprisingly BAD - and I don't consider myself fussy. It certainly sounded worse than any MP3 player I'v even used. 

After flashing to DarkyROM 10.2 RE, however, the SGS now sounds excellent. With voodoo sound, you get SQ that the SGS has the potential to deliver but never did with stock Samsung firmware. The phone is much more responsive and my quadrant scores for the phone have went from around 780 to over 2000. I can now play FLAC and enjoy my music with the handset.

You might also want to consider the issue of battery life, as I can barely get through a day with a single charge - and that is when I don't listen to music.

I think if you are comfortable with flashing ROMs etc, then the Samsung Galaxy S offers good SQ and a reduced price (where I am, the price has dropped considerably). But if you aren't comfortable with flashing ROMs I would stay away from the SGS.

P.S. >> By the way, this is the first time I ever flashed a ROM. With most SGSs, you can enter download mode via pressing 3-buttons, but this is not universal. My handset didn't have this initially, but after upgrading the stock Samsung firmware to 2.3.3., the 3-button download / recovery mode became available again. Once you can easily access the download mode, flashing ROMs becomes much easier - I managed it on my first attempt. So what I am saying is it isn't really difficult, but it is also not something you want to do without reading up as it does void the warrant.

Do you have the SCH-I-500 or I9000 ?

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #52 of 257
Hey @Magnetvision,

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1010102

This link may help you for enabling Voodoo on your sch-i500. The thread is about i500 Fascinate and there are some kernels includes voodoo or novoodoo. Choose the one suitable for your system with voodoo and flash your Android kernel with it using "SGS kernel flasher" application. You can find it on market and you don't need an external flashing program such as Odin. I hope this will help you. 

Aug 6, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #53 of 257
Own a SGS International, i must say after flashing a custom rom with the voodoo sound kernel onto my phone, it does sound alot better through the stock earpiece. Ocassionally i use my headphones too and it sounds good. To those that haven't flash the voodoo sound kernel up yet, i strongly advice you to do so

Aug 7, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #54 of 257

Quote:
Strange..I found the stock firmware to be excellent without any issues or lag.

Anyway curiosity got the best of me since my phone was already rooted and decided to get a new ROM and I ended up choosing the most recent cyanogen mod. I also decided to install voodoo and it works out which is great so I can hear for myself if it is good or not. Right now I'll be on poweramp+voodoo. On a side note thankfully I backed up everything since there was some issues installing it originally but eventually it worked out.

For some reason I cant get some of the old apps back via titanium backup since it just hangs on restoring but I'll get over it. I've been getting my apps back and the samsung stock did have some nice apps such as the calendar and the calculator one which i did use but there's always a substitute.

How is SQ after installing everything ? I noticed you owned lot of high end rigs before like UM3X, J3, HM601. Do you think it is better than them in term of SQ alone?

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #59 of 257

Quote:
How is SQ after installing everything ? I noticed you owned lot of high end rigs before like UM3X, J3, HM601. Do you think it is better than them in term of SQ alone?

I find the SQ to be quite nice. It's better with the voodoo I think but without a real way to A/B it's hard to tell since I didn't have too much of a problem with it before. I use the sgs with either of my customs so in that sense the phone is still the limiting factor but I can't carry around the dac/amp system I have when I am at home.

It doesn't sound too far off from the J3 but I sold that a few weeks ago after using the sgs so I would say they are both similar if you run things flat or close to flat but the EQ system on the J3 is quite nice as is the battery life. The HM601 is on another level in terms of SQ. It's the best portable source I've owned but battery life issues compared to the J3 which I also had at that time made me sell it.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #60 of 257

Quote:
If  I "only root" my phone.(Samsung Fascinate  SCH-I-500  running Froyo 2.2.2), then I should be able to play Voodoo Control Plus ?...without any Kernels or ROMs?

yup, but i don't really see a reason to not flash a custom rom and kernel. I absolutely hated my phone stock but now with a custom rom I love it. Much much better battery life and it has become way more snappier and bug free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back