Samsung Galaxy S III, Help!?
Sep 13, 2012 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Cool8t

New Head-Fier
Hey there, I plan on getting the Samsung Galaxy S III for my birthday on October 14, and was looking for advice on my purchase. First off, what exactly is a DAC, like is it an internal amp or something? After I root the Samsung Galaxy S III, which DAC should I get? Will the Samsung Galaxy S III have better sound quality than the Iphone 4s? Where can I get the international version, and does the wolfson DAC make it the better version over the USA one? And finally, will it be powerful enough to power the Superlux HD661?
Thanks for your help, and sorry for being a total n00b!

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 5
DAC stands for digital-to-analog-converter. This is the piece of hardware in your phone that converts the digital source of your music (mp3, for example) to an analog signal that your headphone recognizes and converts to sound. Amps and DACs are two different items but can be found bundled together in many devices.

If you root your phone, you could acquire another DAC, but to be clear: this is a piece of hardware. I do not think root is required to use another DAC. A list of compatible DACs for the S3 can be found here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/270#post_8662340

As reported by some users here, a stock iPhone 4 outcompetes a stock (USA?) S3:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624280/iphone-4s-galaxy-s3-measured-performance-in-decibels

Assuming you live in the US, you may have issues with carriers if you buy the international version of the S3 (I-9300). I am not totally sure on this. I know you can, however, convert a US version (CDMA network) to a GSM phone. As far as sound quality goes: Wolfson DACs receive a lot of praise around here, but I have yet to test the international (Wolfson DAC) against the US version.

You should have no trouble driving your Superlux HD661s with either version of the S3, assuming the given stats are correct for your cans:

Sensitivity102 dB SPL (1mW) at 1KHz
Rated Impedance 68 @ 1KH

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
DAC stands for digital-to-analog-converter. This is the piece of hardware in your phone that converts the digital source of your music (mp3, for example) to an analog signal that your headphone recognizes and converts to sound. Amps and DACs are two different items but can be found bundled together in many devices.

If you root your phone, you could acquire another DAC, but to be clear: this is a piece of hardware. I do not think root is required to use another DAC. A list of compatible DACs for the S3 can be found here: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/595071/android-phones-and-usb-dacs/270#post_8662340

As reported by some users here, a stock iPhone 4 outcompetes a stock (USA?) S3:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/624280/iphone-4s-galaxy-s3-measured-performance-in-decibels

Assuming you live in the US, you may have issues with carriers if you buy the international version of the S3 (I-9300). I am not totally sure on this. I know you can, however, convert a US version (CDMA network) to a GSM phone. As far as sound quality goes: Wolfson DACs receive a lot of praise around here, but I have yet to test the international (Wolfson DAC) against the US version.

You should have no trouble driving your Superlux HD661s with either version of the S3, assuming the given stats are correct for your cans:

Sensitivity102 dB SPL (1mW) at 1KHz
Rated Impedance 68 @ 1KH

Hey thanks a lot.
So, then does anyone know which DAC is the best, and if the Galaxy S III is better than the Iphone with it?
And yes the impedance is 68, so I guess that means no amp!

Sep 13, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 5
I have both US and International S3s, but still haven't had a proper chance to A/B them. My early impressions favour the International (Wolfson'd) S3.

With that impedance it should be possible to drive the headphones from the S3, although they'll sound better with a headphone amplifier I expect.

On stock software I think the iPhone is clearly superior to the S3 for sound quality (also owned that one previously and had a lot of time to A/B them). No idea how a Rooted S3 using some of the sound-enhancing custom kernels compares to the iPhone as my 4S is sold now. If you use an external DAC then the S3 will sound better than the iPhone, providing the DAC itself does. For example, my S3 with the HeadAmp Pico USB DAC/amp does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back