Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0
Dec 29, 2011 at 3:19 PM Post #31 of 55
I got the 5.0 for Christmas.  Gadget wise it is cool, but sound wise the default music player software is not the greatest at high volumes which is necessary to play in the car.  Sounds good with IEMs at moderate volumes.  Soon I will get PowerAmp in hopes that it will improve the sound at higher volumes.  

Jan 18, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #32 of 55
Thinking about getting the Samsung Galaxy player (not sure yet if 4.0 or 5.0 but one or the other for sure).

I used to have an iPod Touch (16GB 2nd Gen model) and I bought a special cord that connected to the bottom that had composite video and RCA stereo jacks (as well as USB for charging etc.) and I would hook it up to my main stereo this way.

However there is no breakout cord like this available for Android products and while some have HDMI output the Samsung players do not.

This means (if I understand correctly) that you have to either use the headphone jack output or get some sort of Blue Tooth receiver.

What's the option that is going to give the best quality?

Personally I wish they had put HDMI out on this and it seems an oversight not to have done so :frowning2:

I know the forthcoming Sony based Android player will have HDMI out but I believe it lacks some features (like no camera).

Anyway the question is ... what's the best way to hook up the Samsung Galaxy players to a stereo system? I liked using my iPod Touch as a mini jukebox and expect to do the same with the Galaxy player I get.

Jan 19, 2012 at 12:18 PM Post #33 of 55

Anyway the question is ... what's the best way to hook up the Samsung Galaxy players to a stereo system? I liked using my iPod Touch as a mini jukebox and expect to do the same with the Galaxy player I get.

Mini to RCA stereo outputs.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #34 of 55

Quote:

Mini to RCA stereo outputs.

I still haven't bought anything but I really don't like using a headphone jack as a "line output" so I think I may just get the Sony Walkman Z when it comes out in the USA. At least I can use the HDMI output to get a true "line out" 

I really think Samsung screwed up by not putting HDMI out on the 4.0 and 5.0 devices.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #35 of 55
True, they might as well have since the device is meant to be mostly a media player and not just a pure music player.

Aug 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #37 of 55
Anyone know if Samsung has any plans on releasing a new version of these players? I'd love to see one that can handle a 64gb sdcard. I'm considering getting one now, I recently read a magazine that compared it to the ipod classic, ipod touch, a cowon player, a phillips and sony player and the sammy came out on top in SQ. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #38 of 55
Quote:
Anyone know if Samsung has any plans on releasing a new version of these players? I'd love to see one that can handle a 64gb sdcard. I'm considering getting one now, I recently read a magazine that compared it to the ipod classic, ipod touch, a cowon player, a phillips and sony player and the sammy came out on top in SQ. 

There are people out there already with the 64GB cards in them. It's just a matter of formatting the cards to FAT32. 

Aug 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #39 of 55
Achmedisdead said:
  There are people out there already with the 64GB cards in them. It's just a matter of formatting the cards to FAT32.
Sold! Didnt know that, thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Aug 17, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #40 of 55
hoping people are still following this thread... 

i have a galaxy player 4.0 that i have had for over a while but i killed the amp somehow while working on a project for my electronics class. i shorted the output of one channel of the amp too frequently, i believe, which messed it up and now it is anemic in one ear.

wondering if anyone has any input on the 4.2 that was recently released. it looks sleek, has a bigger screen, is smaller than the first version... but i am mostly worried about its ability to sound good. really hope they didnt skimp on the amp. I would be fine getting a media player that only plays music, but has a nice UI and sounds amazing. all the extra stuff it does is just icing on the cake. would really like some input on the sound of the new ones compared to the old ones.

PS: someone mentioned the sound sucking on the built in music program. i agree. the sound is bad, but the support for tags and audio formats is even worse. i downloaded both poweramp and PlayerPro and i use playerpro 99% of the time. it sounds good, has a sick UI that downloads stock pictures of the artists, and it will do a lock screen for you that will show a stock picture of the artist and let you change songs and volume and play/pause without unlocking the device. i love it. being able to pause without unlocking is basically a must for me now, as far as media players go. its so quick and easy to pause when you have someone walk up to you or something.

sorry, kind of buzzed. but thinking about picking up the 4.2 before school starts back up so opinions are appreciated.

Aug 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #41 of 55
A nice thread that answers several good questions:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/archive/index.php/t-1700334.html

Also, I've seen buzz on a new player coming with ICS and Jelly Bean but it's all vague...as usual.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #43 of 55
Quote:
More buzz on the new Samsung Galaxy Media Player:

http://www.sammobile.com/2012/08/17/is-this-the-new-galaxy-player/

They only released the Galaxy Player 4.2 a few months ago and i received a 4.2 a month later after it was released in May and now there's a new one already.
I was hoping to at least feel outdated after a few more months had passed. :|

I wonder what the DAC will be?

Aug 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #44 of 55
its so ridiculous that nothing is mentioned as to its ability to play music. This is my main concern.

How is the 4.2, mike?

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #45 of 55
Quote:
its so ridiculous that nothing is mentioned as to its ability to play music. This is my main concern.

How is the 4.2, mike?

As far as i know its pretty good. The only other music player i could've actually compare it to would be an E series Sony Walkman which i do not have anymore as i gave it to a relative of mine.
The 4.2 has a Wolfson chip like the 4.0 so when it's finally rooted I could put Voodoo Sound on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back