Samsung Galaxy Player 4.0 and 5.0
Oct 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #46 of 55
I believe it does, it's the S2 that uses the yamaha.

It's on the quiet side, so first thing i did was grab volume control it's now much better as it gives a 30% hike in this respect.

Sq wise it's pretty decent, ok my cowon is better but it's not that far off.

Did you say Galaxy 5 has Wolfson inside?
By the way Galaxy S2 does not really sound great due to poor Yamaha DAC chip.

Oct 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #47 of 55
Quote:
Did you say Galaxy 5 has Wolfson inside?
By the way Galaxy S2 does not really sound great due to poor Yamaha DAC chip.

Galaxy 5 has a Yamaha chip. Galaxy 4 and 4.2 have the Wolfson.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:
As said the 5 has the yamaha dac, i actually don't mind it, sounds fairly neutral to my ears.

It sounds fine to me. I think those that do complain it isn't good enough for them are the users of sensitive IEM's. With normal headphones I've never had any complaints with the sound.

Mar 28, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #51 of 55
Quote:
Can anyone tell me what is best android music player (for sound quality)  to use on Samsung galaxy 4.0 ?

I find Neutron player to be the best in terms of SQ, clarity, detail etc in my Galaxy 4.2, it also produces the best numbers in tests... but some prefer the PowerAmp sound sig and UI so try both and see which you prefer..

Mar 28, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #53 of 55
Quote:

I find Neutron player to be the best in terms of SQ, clarity, detail etc in my Galaxy 4.2, it also produces the best numbers in tests... but some prefer the PowerAmp sound sig and UI so try both and see which you prefer..

Do you know if their is any add on player that will allow it to play 24 bit audio files ?

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Reviving a long-dead thread but...speaking of reviving, I recently dusted off my Samsung GP 4.2 just to see what was what and was pleasantly surprised to find a still usable DAP! Granted, stuck forever at Android 2.3.6 but I was still able to stream Spotify (stuck at V1.25!). Most, if not all, of the album art was blank but the music was there and sounded great as I had a nice synergy (on blue tooth 3.0) with my Audio Technica ATH-M40x's with Mpow blue tooth receiver Velcro'd to the left ear cup. Totally unable to log onto Google just to get some/any updates so obviously the ancient Spotify doesn't need to reconfirm handshake with Google Play. The unit also no longer shows up in my Google list of devices.

Neutron player for local files and internet radio streaming. Not sure what version but still the best for that DAP I agree! I also had Poweramp, but wouldn't work, probably the handshake thing. I uninstalled it.

But the most pleasing thing about the 4.2 is the Wi-Fi. It maintains a solid unchanging 65 Mbps connection, solid as a rock, as good as a modern smart phone. It absolutely shames the Wi-Fi of my FiiO X5III. When listening to a playlist on Spotify it did not have a single drop or buffer in 2 hours of solid listening! Granted this is Spotify Free at 160 kbps.

A truly solid piece of old kit and still viable for casual listening in 2021.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back