Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Sound Quality
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #391 of 756

Yea, Sony is good about designing their headphones for true portable use that don't require amps - probably because they have a line of mp3 players.   Sennheiser not so much.  But I bet the SEnnheiser HD-25-1 ii would work well out of a phone.

Beyerdynamic T51 is another great can one out of the phone/mp3 player if you like warm and bassy.

That is what I figured..I am strictly bluetooth when it comes to headphones.. I am considering the Senn Moment M2, Sony 1abt, and the Def Tech Syphon. 1  all in my opinion, high end bluetooth headphones..

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:02 PM Post #392 of 756

Trust me Poweramp is no good.... :)

Maybe i'm nuts :D

Works for many others. Like I said, maybe there's something in your settings or perhaps you have some wonky EQ that you're not aware of.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #393 of 756
I like PowerAmp. Think it sounds better than most audio players on the market right now. However, Neutron is the best because of how its made. Really, its considerably the best audio player out there (Neutron is). Currently I run this phone with my Westone UM Pro 50 (IEMs) and they sound awesome. In fact, I like this quite nicely.
Remember, amps will not make a sound become "better" but simply amplifies what is there. So if it sounds good when amped, then it was good to begin with. But of course, different amps play differently than others and the synergy has to be collectively right with the source, amp, and output (headphones or whatever).
Really, I would easy spend $1000 if I would get better sound from it that I would definitely notice. Mind you because I'm not rich like some people on this site, I'll still have to do monthly payments :p That's why I have read all 27 pages to try to figure out if this phone is really all that good in terms of SQ compared to dedicated option. Or at the very least, figure out how much of a percentage it is compared to a real portable system like a AK120ii or iBasso DX90. Like are we talking about 30% of those options or the difference is small like 80-90%.
Because I run only with IEMs, as they are more portable and convenient than larger sets while running around college and such. That being said, I did some audio tests to see if with my Pro 50s play acceptable with my Note 4. Which surprisinglly, it did. In fact, I did an imaging test and the track had knocking (mind you I was in my room) and I mistook that for a real door nock. It felt quite real in terms of depth, based by that single track. But I would love to hear some of the pros on this to come in and let me know what they think.
Here's the site that has a bunch of test tracks:
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #394 of 756
I like PowerAmp. Think it sounds better than most audio players on the market right now. However, Neutron is the best because of how its made. Really, its considerably the best audio player out there (Neutron is). Currently I run this phone with my Westone UM Pro 50 (IEMs) and they sound awesome. In fact, I like this quite nicely.

Remember, amps will not make a sound become "better" but simply amplifies what is there. So if it sounds good when amped, then it was good to begin with. But of course, different amps play differently than others and the synergy has to be collectively right with the source, amp, and output (headphones or whatever).

Really, I would easy spend $1000 if I would get better sound from it that I would definitely notice. Mind you because I'm not rich like some people on this site, I'll still have to do monthly payments :p That's why I have read all 27 pages to try to figure out if this phone is really all that good in terms of SQ compared to dedicated option. Or at the very least, figure out how much of a percentage it is compared to a real portable system like a AK120ii or iBasso DX90. Like are we talking about 30% of those options or the difference is small like 80-90%.
Because I run only with IEMs, as they are more portable and convenient than larger sets while running around college and such. That being said, I did some audio tests to see if with my Pro 50s play acceptable with my Note 4. Which surprisinglly, it did. In fact, I did an imaging test and the track had knocking (mind you I was in my room) and I mistook that for a real door nock. It felt quite real in terms of depth, based by that single track. But I would love to hear some of the pros on this to come in and let me know what they think.
Here's the site that has a bunch of test tracks:
http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php

An amplifier can make a sound better as it increases bass response and control.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #395 of 756
Sony's Walkman app is pretty cool on Xperia phones. I'd say it's better than any app out there regarding usability.

Mar 5, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #396 of 756

You're right it does. Amps should never change the sound that the DAC of the device pushes out. If it does color the sound, than we have a larger problem.
The reason why you get better "bass response and control", is that you push more mW through the line. I'm not sure how to use analogy for something like this but I'll try:
Let's say you're throwing a punch, which you would have to push out then pull it back in to reset for the next hit. If you're tired (or hence not enough energy in terms of audio), that punch would be slow in both its out and in or not even happen. Same goes for audio sounds, if there is not enough energy to create the frequency or just enough to tickle its activation, then it will sound lazy, slow and down-right horrible. When there is enough energy, it should be fast and slower when required.

Really, amps amplify what is there and provides sufficient power to the line to power the drivers on the other end. Not enough power will degrade sound or not play sufficiently. It's like the instances where some complain their HD650 or HD700 don't sound good on low powered audio rigs but hook it up to their home system which pushes enough watts to power their cans, it brings it alive. Of course, the DAC is different but you get the point.

Mar 5, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #397 of 756

It's that when you play louder it sounds better due to the way we perceive sound. It's called "Equal Loudness Contour." The louder you play music the more bass and treble are perceived.
You ever see a "Loudness" button on a vintage stereo? This compensates for the way we hear sound by boosting bass and treble at lower volumes. Since the transform is not static, the button wasn't a perfect solution.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #398 of 756
It's that when you play louder it sounds better due to the way we perceive sound. It's called "Equal Loudness Contour." The louder you play music the more bass and treble are perceived.
You ever see a "Loudness" button on a vintage stereo? This compensates for the way we hear sound by boosting bass and treble at lower volumes. Since the transform is not static, the button wasn't a perfect solution.
quite the opposite, the more power you have the greater the ability to produce amazing dynamics at lower volumes. I always have people saying to me "I don't need power as I don't play it loud." No no. You will also find distortion levels should drop when properly amped. This means as humans we can cope a lot easier when it is loud. I find a high distortion system will get too loud and you know about it as it sounds dreadful. I call it PMC ear....very low distortion speakers. The only time you know it's loud is when you try and talk to someone.

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #399 of 756
quite the opposite, the more power you have the greater the ability to produce amazing dynamics at lower volumes. I always have people saying to me "I don't need power as I don't play it loud." No no. You will also find distortion levels should drop when properly amped. This means as humans we can cope a lot easier when it is loud. I find a high distortion system will get too loud and you know about it as it sounds dreadful. I call it PMC ear....very low distortion speakers. The only time you know it's loud is when you try and talk to someone.

On the thing with distortion, you're right. If you have a sufficient amount of power to drive the full range of perceivable Hz frequencies, then you will get the full sound (as I described before hand). However, when that is not the case you miss out on things and sounds can become very flabby and slow.
However if you mean noise as distortion, then that would not be correct. As we increase volume, the quiet sounds are brought up (obviously :p). In return, all noise within that line will be increased as well. But based by what you are saying, I'm just saying stuff you already know so I'll stop on that note.

As for distortion, I have never heard of a "high distortion system" nor "very low distortion speaker". What did you mean by that?

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #400 of 756
My suggestion to anyone would be if you don't need more volume don't get an amp. It's just another hassle and if you don't need more volume you're probably at around 32 ohms anyway and if an amp did help you out at lower volumes (which I personally don't buy into) it would be very minimal and not worth the cost of the amp unless you have money to burn and it just makes you feel good.

For example, a Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 ohm Amped would not sound identical to a Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm Amped. There is a reason for this. The Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm will still sound better. They make the Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 ohm so we can use them without an amp on our phones/mp3 players. Not for us to foolishly hook it up to an amp and expect it to sound like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm .

Mar 5, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #401 of 756
My suggestion to anyone would be if you don't need more volume don't get an amp. It's just another hassle and if you don't need more volume you're probably at around 32 ohms anyway and if an amp did help you out at lower volumes (which I personally don't buy into) it would be very minimal and not worth the cost of the amp unless you have money to burn and it just makes you feel good.

For example, a Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 ohm Amped would not sound identical to a Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm Amped. There is a reason for this. The Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm will still sound better. They make the Beyerdynamic DT 880 32 ohm so we can use them without an amp on our phones/mp3 players. Not for us to foolishly hook it up to an amp and expect it to sound like the Beyerdynamic DT 880 250 ohm .

Agreed. Don't forget about the sensitivity of the headphone or IEM, those do make a difference too. 

Mar 5, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #402 of 756

quite the opposite, the moreity power you have the greater the ability to produce amazing dynamics at lower volumes. I always have people saying to me "I don't need power as I don't play it loud." No no. You will also find distortion levels should drop when properly amped. This means as humans we can cope a lot easier when it is loud. I find a high distortion system will get too loud and you know about it as it sounds dreadful. I call it PMC ear....very low distortion speakers. The only time you know it's loud is when you try and talk to someone.

Any power above the peak demands for a particular headphone (based upon sensitivity) at max DR is never used and thus not necessary. If one's amp perceptibly distorts on peaks, one should have bought a better amp. Most amps of good quality are clean.
Don't buy a "high distortion system." Where do you find one of these?
The part about "Equal Loudness Contour" is a fact, you can look it up.

Mar 6, 2015 at 2:57 AM Post #403 of 756

What phone would you recommend? 

Mar 6, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #404 of 756

Don't buy a "high distortion system." Where do you find one of these?

I mean by this an underpowered amplifier that does not control the speakers properly. It gives distortion. Most systems are okay at normal listening levels but when you turn it up and the amp runs out of power distortion is added to the system. That is not nice on the ears and is perceived as being very loud as our ears are very acute to distortion levels. When for instance I play a PMC and Bryston rig I am able to continue turning it up and up and up with no fatigue and the system never sounds what I perceive as "loud". Until you try talking to someone and you cannot hear yourself speak.

IMHO The Note 4 offers exceptional sound from the SnapDragon....not using poweramp as I cannot get along with it.

Mar 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #405 of 756

I mean by this an underpowered amplifier that does not control the speakers properly. It gives distortion. Most systems are okay at normal listening levels but when you turn it up and the amp runs out of power distortion is added to the system. That is not nice on the ears and is perceived as being very loud as our ears are very acute to distortion levels. When for instance I play a PMC and Bryston rig I am able to continue turning it up and up and up with no fatigue and the system never sounds what I perceive as "loud". Until you try talking to someone and you cannot hear yourself speak.

IMHO The Note 4 offers exceptional sound from the SnapDragon....not using poweramp as I cannot get along with it.

Are we discussing loudspeakers or headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back