Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Oct 29, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #227 of 726
  I suppose it could be my 45 year old ears and those frequencies are boosted some, not sure. I do not hear as much hiss with it turned off, and no hiss with Poweramp.

Okay, just finished a couple comparisons, all using stock player (only other player i use is Google Music, and it does not seem that adapt sound even works with that app).

I seem to only notice hiss being added with my UE700 IEMs (I also notice a volume increase when enabling adapt sound). My DT770 Pro 250ohms do not produce any hiss with/without Adapt Sound on. I am thinking that the 250 ohm resistance of the DT 770 model I have is why I don't hear the hiss with them. Even my old Galaxy Nexus was a hiss monster with all headphones/iems I have tried except the DT770s, which were nearly silent.

Also of note, I purposely clicked YES to every single beep noise, providing me with a result of a perfect flat response for both ears. Yet when previewing (as well as enabling) Adapt Sound, the signal is still louder. This makes me think this is a gimmick, as I would think that with "perfect" ears that heard every diagnostic beep, no adjustment to the sound signal would be necessary. Yet there is still a change in sound (by way of a volume increase).

Further, with my DT 770s at full volume using stock music app (because they are the 250ohm model combined with listening to a rather quiet track, full volume was not an issue for my ears here), I notice no sound difference (or even volume level change) when toggling Adapt Sound. I believe that the lack of difference in sound is due to me saying YES to every inquiry during the adapt sound calibration, and the lack of volume change is because the phone is already at max volume, and can't go higher to enable adapt sound's volume boost that it gives to volume levels below max volume.

This lack of volume increase when enabling adapt sound at max volume is the most convincing observation I've noticed that makes me think that the Adapt Sound has a standard volume boost no matter what user-input adaptations it needs to make. We all know that many people perceive an increase in volume as an increase in SQ, and I am thinking that a standard volume increase is a component of Adapt Sound being enabled regardless of the user result. Not surprising I guess, as Samsung has artificially boosted benchmarking scores for this and other Galaxy phones, but this is disappointing.

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #228 of 726
  This lack of volume increase when enabling adapt sound at max volume is the most convincing observation I've noticed that makes me think that the Adapt Sound has a standard volume boost no matter what user-input adaptations it needs to make. We all know that many people perceive an increase in volume as an increase in SQ, and I am thinking that a standard volume increase is a component of Adapt Sound being enabled regardless of the user result. Not surprising I guess, as Samsung has artificially boosted benchmarking scores for this and other Galaxy phones, but this is disappointing.

Well, I wouldn't take it quite so seriously. I can't explain why zero adjustment would increase overall volume, but you can/should then just switch the feature off. When a standard EQ adjustment increases overall volume, I automatically compensate by reducing the volume and I believe most people do this. The increase in volume doesn't make this feature any less useful, just switch it off if there's no need for adjustment. The fact that Samsung had the sense to include the feature into the phone remains a brilliant move. Most people's ears (not to mention headphones!) don't have a perfect frequency range response and this type of feature should be standard. 

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:31 AM Post #229 of 726
Hiss is quite distinct for me using ES3X (comparing to my F807 of course. It is subtle otherwise but still slightly noticeable. Not like blaring noticeable though. More like you have to concentrate a bit or you need to be in a like library setting. My tinnitus masks most of it even though my tinnitus isn't major), though the only player that I've experienced that has absolutely no hiss is the F807. I still think the Note 3 sounds overall more detailed though. ES3X's are just ridiculously sensitive. I believe the F807 was entirely pitch black though. Haven't used it in awhile since it's more convenient to carry one player (one at that that lasts a ridiculously long time for my needs. + the large screen is a bonus. A PITA to navigate PowerAmp using the F807).

Also another issue is that I occasionally hear static with data turned on (not sure if off, haven't tested much as I just leave my data on now because it doesn't drain the battery like my last phone when on standby). Like the static you hear when you put your phone next to your active speakers/amp. It doesn't seem to happen frequently.

Oct 31, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #233 of 726
A Spanish unboxing video is your reference..? :/
How would you rate it's credibility against this for example:
http://m.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_3-review-996p8.php
"The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 showed exceptionally clean audio output in our audio quality test. The phablet posted some of the best scores we have seen in both parts of the test and garnished them with decent volume levels."

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #234 of 726
The speaker lacks but the headphone output is soo good to my ears.
In my family there is an s3 an iphone4 and galaxy note 2. The note 3 to my is simply the best(I am talking about snapdragon version).
I love it not only for sound quality.
In any way most people like the iphone sound .... Anyhow may be I don't have good ears :)
I am 50 year old :)

Nov 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #235 of 726
At first I thought my iphone had better audio quality but the more I listen to my note 3, the note 3's audio output seems to be way better.

Guys, I have a question for you. I am new to android, have been using iphone all this time. How do you guys normally manage playlists on your android phones? It was so much simpler with the iphone, right now I have no idea and I'm stuck managing on the phone and it's proven to be pretty difficult. I want to be able to manage my playlists on my pc, I know about doubletwist but that doesn't really work for me because with my iphone I manually added my songs so I don't have a location where all my music is together. I manually add songs to my winamp  playlist on the computer too. I'm currently using poweramp on my note 3, I tried to export my current playlist on my note 3 and edit it as a text file and then changed it back to m3u8 and then import back to poweramp but that didn't work out. Any tips guys? Sorry if I should post this somewhere else but I didn't know where to post this question and didn't want to make a new thread.

Nov 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #238 of 726
Tim33... what's your dac ?
I have a little prob with my odac to get out 96 khz I have to unplug and reinsert the otg cable... with the 16 bit 44.1 files no problem.
Anyhow I have a custom kernel at moment and may be this is the problem.
Ciao

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #239 of 726
Tim33... what's your dac ?
I have a little prob with my odac to get out 96 khz I have to unplug and reinsert the otg cable... with the 16 bit 44.1 files no problem.
Anyhow I have a custom kernel at moment and may be this is the problem.
Ciao

I use the NFB-16 from Audio-gd which has the Tenor 7022 usb. Nothing has changed other than going from  a Note 2 to a Note 3

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #240 of 726
Tim33
Mmhh.. very strange, my odac use the same tenor chip.
You should try with usb audio recorder pro apps and if it no success you should have a bit more of a suspect that you may have a defective note 3 unit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back