Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Sep 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM Post #16 of 726
What I'm really interested in is it's compatibility with an external DAC/AMP (Fiio E07K in my case) would be. I use my DAC/AMP with my iPod, but if I can use it on a Note III, I'd be more than willing to drop my iPod rather than haul it around everywhere just for music.

Sep 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #18 of 726
Originally Posted by headfinoob /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am wondering if anybody might know which audio hub the Note 3 uses.  It would be interesting to see if Wolfson is used like the Note 2.
Unfortunately, the Snapdragon 800 chipset will ship in the United States variants, so I believe that people in that area will be out of luck.  The Galaxy S 4 (Snapdragon 600) in the United States didn't use Wolfson.
My guess is that only the Exynos-equipped Note 3's will actually have the Wolfson audio chip.

That's what I'm thinking. I really was going to get Note3 with Wolfson because ever since I upgraded to S4(snapdragon) from Note2, I've been hating the sound. But I guess I'm out of luck as they are probably going to use Snapdragon's crappy DAC on their Note3. I guess I have to go with next iPhone.

I don't want to. But I really hate S4's sound. fk

Sep 15, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 726
I guess we won't know what DAC is in which variant until they ship and places like ifixit starts looking inside.  I read somewhere that LG had rewritten the ALSA stack (whatever that is) to achieve 24 bit.  Samsung must have done the same thing. I am like Tyll Hertsen in that I no longer want, or feel the need, to pack around another dac/amp or DAP. Just like I no longer pack around a camera.  If I was more discerning I might want more devices.

Sep 16, 2013 at 7:25 AM Post #22 of 726
  What I'm really interested in is it's compatibility with an external DAC/AMP (Fiio E07K in my case) would be. I use my DAC/AMP with my iPod, but if I can use it on a Note III, I'd be more than willing to drop my iPod rather than haul it around everywhere just for music.

Can't speak to the E07K, but it definitely has USB audio - I had a Note 3 to play with for like half the weekend just gone and confirmed it with several DACs :)

Sep 17, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #26 of 726

Can't speak to the E07K, but it definitely has USB audio - I had a Note 3 to play with for like half the weekend just gone and confirmed it with several DACs :)

Awesome! Thanks a lot. Definitely on board now. I just hope it doesn't have a inferior onboard chip compared the Wolfson the Note 2 had. If I can use the Note 3 with the Centrance Hifi-M8 I'll live with it though.

Very Excite!

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #27 of 726
Why do us US folk get cursed with these different CPU's with built in DACs? lol that's stupid! they made LTE work with the Note 2 and didn't give us that qualcomm with their crap on chip DAC! I don't understand at all why it's still an issue with LTE that it warrants the US variant to have a different CPU. 

I think my Note 2 sounds pretty good though. I run AOSP on my L900 with a custom Kernel and Stweaks for audio control. Now if only we could get rid of that dammed 16bit limit in Android! it re-samples anything over CD quality to CD quality.   

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #28 of 726

Awesome! Thanks a lot. Definitely on board now. I just hope it doesn't have a inferior onboard chip compared the Wolfson the Note 2 had. If I can use the Note 3 with the Centrance Hifi-M8 I'll live with it though.

Very Excite!

Surely it doesn't matter what chip it comes with if we will end up using a DAC? Or does it still matter?

Sep 17, 2013 at 8:50 AM Post #29 of 726

Surely it doesn't matter what chip it comes with if we will end up using a DAC? Or does it still matter?

It does because I am sure that using an external DAC without touchwiz wont work, because stock android still does not support that for some reason. 

Not all of us like crappy Touchwiz and samsungs ROM's. I personally HATE Touchwiz and if you've got SPRINT like I DO than a constant roaming banner and alert noise will pop up on that ROM and you cannot disable the awful thing. I use CM10.1 to get away from that annoying roaming notification! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back