Samsung galaxy nexus
Jun 26, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #166 of 249
Quote:
I'm listening to both Mog and Spotify on my Galaxy Nexus using optical (digital) line out to my Fiio E17 dac/amp. Phenomenal wow factor compared to listening straight out of the headphone jack on the phone.

So my GN is docked into the multimedia dock, mini toslink optical cable to the Fiio E17. Gain @ 6db, Sennheiser 280's.

I'm sure you could make this portable by ripping out the circuit board in the dock, making a portable case for the phone with it, and a short mini toslink cable to the fiio. Still pocketable. Anyone want to try?

Which multimedia dock is this? The Samsung Pogo desktop dock? (the one with the 3 pin connector)? The digital out on that is just Bluetooth isn't it? It does not use the USB connector for audio out. Assuming I amp/receiver can handle both Bluetooth and toslink input, is it worth using the dock with toslink over Bluetooth?

EDIT: The desktop dock I was looking at has a "3.5mm stereo auto port", I am assuming its just a headphone jack. Now I am really confused about which dock you were referring to. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #167 of 249
Interesting. Fiio E17 must be really good then, because I compared the rooted&voodoo'ed Galaxy S to my NuForce uDAC-2 using headphone outputs. 

Galaxy phone won by a large margin.

Jun 26, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #168 of 249
Quote:
Eh I tried all of the programs, neutron, winamp, player pro with dsp. All the eqs; equalizer, volume boost, volume +. And the best sound quality is power amp with an eq customized, tone bumped and limit on. Neutron comes close but it's super confusing and hideous haha. Better sound quality than my ipod touch 5g, yet for some reason with my m50's I feel like I want more..

Are you a time traveler? 
wink_face.gif

Jun 27, 2012 at 3:18 AM Post #169 of 249
Interesting. Fiio E17 must be really good then, because I compared the rooted&voodoo'ed Galaxy S to my NuForce uDAC-2 using headphone outputs. 

Galaxy phone won by a large margin.
so how do you think a rocoo p would hold up against a rooted and voodoo'd galaxy s?
Are you a time traveler? :wink_face:
Haha I meant 4th generation :D

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:21 PM Post #170 of 249
looks likes jelly bean 4.1 should be coming to the nexus within a few weeks. I believe it will feature usb audio output support as well

Jun 28, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #172 of 249
Jun 28, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #174 of 249
same here unfortunately, but good news is you can always root it and install Roms with the jelly bean features until they do.

Jun 29, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #175 of 249
Quote:

Which multimedia dock is this? The Samsung Pogo desktop dock? (the one with the 3 pin connector)? The digital out on that is just Bluetooth isn't it? It does not use the USB connector for audio out. Assuming I amp/receiver can handle both Bluetooth and toslink input, is it worth using the dock with toslink over Bluetooth?

EDIT: The desktop dock I was looking at has a "3.5mm stereo auto port", I am assuming its just a headphone jack. Now I am really confused about which dock you were referring to. 

This one: https://play.google.com/store/devices/details/Desktop_Dock_with_Pogo_Pin?id=galaxy_nexus_hspa_pogo_desk_dock&feature=accessories#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDExMSwiZGV2aWNlLWdhbGF4eV9uZXh1c19oc3BhX3BvZ29fZGVza19kb2NrIl0.

SPDIF digital optical and line out from same 3.5mm jack.

It has no bluetooth. The spdif comes through the pogo pins to the optical jack in the back of the dock,

Well recommended.

Jun 29, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #177 of 249
Hey all. I have put jelly bean on my nexus...and its awesome. Any nexus owners should consider making their way over to XDA for a taste!

Is there a proper way to test a DAC? I just picked up an E7 for kicks. If I can't get anything working, I'll return it. I don't have time to read the whole thread to see what people have tried, but I'll happily test for anyone with what I have here.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #179 of 249
Could someone recommend a pair of < $300 ($400?) IEMs  to use with the Galaxy?

I use the phone with Etys HF-5 but given its capabilities, I consider upgrading. Etys are wonderful yet a bit thin.

Jul 2, 2012 at 6:44 PM Post #180 of 249
Well I've tried experimenting with the nexus and unfortunately I can't get the E7 to do much of anything. When I connect it the E7 displays "locked" but the nexus doesn't react or change the audio routing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back