Samson sr950 vs sr850
Oct 2, 2013 at 10:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Felixote

New Head-Fier
I only want to know if they are worth the extra $15 bucks or $20 ( $40 and $60): I haven't seen any reviews in head-fi of the 950's but they seem better than the 850's, more comfortable and better sounding.

Thank You

Felixote

Oct 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #2 of 7
  I only want to know if they are worth the extra $15 bucks or $20 ( $40 and $60): I haven't seen any reviews in head-fi of the 950's but they seem better than the 850's, more comfortable and better sounding.

I would assume the SR-950s have more bass but less sound stage ,compared to SR-850
I would also assume the SR-950s are close to the same sound as the Superlux HD-662 & HD-669.
One difference is the SR-950 uses a Velour ear pad :)

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah I think I'm gonna take the risk and buy them. I know they are good but I want them to be better than the Sony MDR-XD200 that I have right now. I hope the extra spendig is worth it. And I do like the velour pads it comes with, all the superlux reviews say that it's nearly mandatory to buy velour pads, so one less thing to worry about buying :)

Thank You

Felixote

Oct 3, 2013 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 7
  Yeah I think I'm gonna take the risk and buy them. I know they are good but I want them to be better than the Sony MDR-XD200 that I have right now. I hope the extra spending is worth it. And I do like the velour pads it comes with, all the Superlux reviews say that it's nearly mandatory to buy velour pads, so one less thing to worry about buying :)

I had the Sony XB500s and did not like the audio quality (but other do like them).
For a closed headphone and with good comfort and a low price, SR950 seems like the right choice.

Apr 21, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 7
The sr950 has deeper sub bass to please people looking for a clearer, less bassy xb500 but the sr850 has far more details in the mids and a better soundstage. The xb500s are better for bass music and rock when you EQ them, but the sr850 sound more realistic, spacious and work for every type of music.

As for gaming, xb500s are delicious for explosions, but the sr950s and sr850s have them beat for soundstage (locating enemies by sound) while still having the "whoosh" and "boom" the developers intended.

Senheisser HD555s are just as good for gaming IMHO, being so open sounding and also boomy through my receiver, but the sr850s have better spatial placement of sounds, for those who like to track down their prey like I do in First person shooters. My current favorite is Titanfall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back