Same Old Schiit? Balanced Research and Valhalla Amp Giveaway
Aug 24, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #181 of 217

Hey all,

We’re getting ready to finalize the feature set for a possible upcoming balanced amp, and we thought you might want to let us know what you think about balanced amps, what features you want, if it should include the kitchen sink, if it should be priced under $50*, etc. 

To sweeten the pot, everyone who responds before August 31, 2011 will be entered to win a Valhalla (triode OTL) headphone amplifier. We’ll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, on September 2.

Here are the questions:

Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

Thanks in advance for your responses! 

All the best,
Jason

*Note: This is a joke. Doing balanced right (balanced from input to output, *good* quad pot, true differential output stage, etc.) ain't cheap. Please don't tell all your friends "Schiit is gonna do a balanced amp for $50!" Because that's not gonna happen.

I used balanced HD800, HD600, HE-6, HE-500, HE-5 LE, and LCD-2

I only use a 4-pin XLR cable for these phones on three different balanced amps, and might be looking for another balanced amp in the future.

Single ended inputs are not as important, but useful. If included they should sound pretty close to balanced inputs.

Single ended outputs are a must, and should offer very high quality sound like the balanced outputs.

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #182 of 217

Quote:

To sweeten the pot, everyone who responds before August 31, 2011 will be entered to win a Valhalla (triode OTL) headphone amplifier. We’ll announce the winner, chosen by random drawing, on September 2.

Here are the questions:

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?

I have had most of my headphones balanced but right now do not own any headphones at all.  im hoping to build my system around the valhalla if i win but eventually will go balanced when finances allow.  As for HO, I would greatly prefer a 4 pin xlr and SE options.  The quality of the SE would not be as big a factor as the quality of the 4 pin xlr. 

thank you.  

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:50 PM Post #183 of 217

Not at the moment, but been thinking about upgrading the stock cable on my LCD-2 to balanced cable.

Thinking about getting a balanced amp, given the price is around or less than $1500.

4-pin XLR is better way to go.  Less bulk the better.

Not that important, adaptors can be always be used for single-ended headphones. But is it good to have nonetheless.

If it is there, might as well be a quality output port.  There is really no point of having a single ended port that cannot support audiophile grade headphones.   However, it doesn't mean it have to sound as good as the balanced output.

Aug 25, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #184 of 217

-Not at the moment.
-I dunno... You have something to sell me?
-3 holes to plug? I like where this is headed... Just like a bowling ball.
-Headphones should not be discriminated against.
-Of course, no one likes being left out.

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #185 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? HD600 with a 4pin silver dragon.

For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? I'd rather just have 4 pin as I feel that it's easier to manage the cables and it looks better on the amp. My biggest gripe is that the dual 3 pins really weigh down the headphones and when unplugging the cord, it has a higher chance of falling out of my hand and hitting my headphones.  I had a pair of LA7000's with some beautiful australian sheoak wood that the dual 3 pin did this to and I never want to see it on any of my headphones ever again.

For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? I don't think it's important at all if you're buying the amp just to use it balanced.  However it might be more important to those that want to check the difference between balanced and single ended (they would ultimately mainly use the balanced outs anyways).  I think it's a useful feature for a balanced amp to have the single ended out but I don't necessarily feel that it's necessary if it's going to add a substantial increase to the cost.

If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? Once again if the main point of this amp is for the balanced output to be used then the single ended just feels like a novelty.  Not only is it a novelty but then if you go for a "quality novelty" then the customer will have to pay a premium for another input they won't necessarily use.  You guys already have 3 different amps featuring single ended so I think the quality of your balanced outputs should be focused on.  However if you do add a single ended jack then I'd say it's more for utility as that would help keep costs low.  If I buy an amplifier for balanced headphones, why would I want to spend more money on an output that I'm not even buying the amplifier for in the first place? 

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #186 of 217

No. I used to have Denon AH-D7000 modded to be balanced.

Yes. I am looking at either Audez'e LCD-2 ver. 2 or HiFiMan HE-500 (or maybe the 8 Watt! HE-6 if I can find an amp).

One 4-pin XLR output please. Keep it simple and minimal.

Folks that buy balanced could care less about single-ended (...okay, so I am speaking for myself hehe). Again, keep it simple and minimal. 

N/A

Aug 25, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #187 of 217
Jason, would it be possible to guesstimate the relative cost differences between no SE, SE utility and SE quality so people actually have an idea of what they are willing to pay for versus what they think they need?  Cost seems to be significant aspect missing from the discussion.  We don't need a complete cost of the unit just what you think the cost differences would be.  Maybe add it to the first post if you agree.

Aug 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #188 of 217
Not yet, thinking about it.

Perhaps.

Unknown.

I think I would want this for flexibility for sure, since my current DAC is not having balanced outs.

Quality ones would be nice.

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #189 of 217
Not at the moment
Yes, I definately want to try out balanced in the future
4-pin is fine
Would be nice to have single ended too (but as others said already, it depends on the extra cost)
The output should be high quality

Aug 27, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #190 of 217

Lcd2s

Possibly go balanced in the future depending on funds.

I guess it would depend on what headphones i'm running, but 4 pin only is ok for me and my intended setup.

Not important to me at all, would be using balanced headphones.

Aug 29, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #191 of 217
No
A possibility-yes
Not important at all. Just need the 4pin XLR
Not Very
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones
Yes,  if you have single ended output

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #192 of 217

I have a pair of Audio-Technica W5000 drivers in a donor pair of Beyerdynamic DT770's that I've setup as balanced.

I'm in the process of building an AMB B22; depending on a few bugs, it might end up in a balanced configuration or a 3-channel configuration. I don't own a working 4-channel amp.

Either is fine, so long as an adapter is included. Depending on the topology, 3-pin XLR/TRS combo ports could be used for unbalanced amplification across 2 of the channels, so I'd favor them in that case. Otherwise, my preference is 4-pin for the sake of cleaning up the internal wiring and giving the panels a cleaner look.

If the topology allows it, it's certainly nice. On a scale of "nice to have" (1) to "need to have" (10), I'd rate it as a 4.

If an amp has single-ended outputs, they should be equal in quality (as much as possible) to the balanced outputs; "do it right or don't do it."

Aug 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #193 of 217
I don't have balanced headphones at the moment.
I was looking at getting the Hifiman RE-Zero balanced IEMs in the near future.
Dual three-pin XLRs are not very important to in addition to a 4-pin XLR output as the only headphones I was thinking about getting don't use them.
It's pretty important for a balanced amp to also have single ended outputs because with my budget if I spring for an amp I want it to play nice with all my current non-balanced gear as well.
I think for me the quality should be about equal on both of the outputs so I can use it with everything well.

Hope that helps!

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #194 of 217
Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?   NOT YET.
If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future? YES.
For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR? Doesn't matter to me
For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs? I'd say not that important.
If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones? Not really important

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #195 of 217
- Do you have balanced headphones? If so, which ones?
Yes, a LCD2, currently using with a ALO Reference 8 Copper single-ended but I don't mind to use another balanced cable.

- If not, are you looking at balanced headphones or a balanced amp in the future?
Yes, I am. I've never ever tried a proper balanced setup and I do plan to upgrade to full-balanced in the future.

- For balanced headphone output, how important is it to have dual three-pin XLRs as well as a 4-pin XLR?
Having only 4-pin XLR is enough to my needs.

- For a balanced amp, how important is it to also have single-ended outputs?
Some people said that they couldn't tell the differences between balanced and single-ended out puts on the same amp, I don't really care about single-ended when going balanced, but having a good single-ended output is not bad either.

- If single-ended is important, is the quality of the single-ended outputs as important as the balanced outputs, or is this more of a “utility” thing so you can use all kinds of different headphones?
It would be awesome if the quality of the single-ended output is as good as the balanced ones, so I could try other phones with single-ended and confidently feel that the the phone is being paired with 100% power and quality of the amp regardless connection types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back