**Same old Question*** I need Stax help...
Apr 3, 2008 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

sabeking

New Head-Fier
Of the pro-biased Stax heaphones, which one will give me the most liquid, forward, hell, even colored mid-range sound in their line-up?

I am a big fan of thick colored tube mid-range.

Ok, I want to do this for about $300 - $350 including amp (hopefully tube). After that, what CD player would you use?

Thanks,

Stacey

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by sabeking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the pro-biased Stax heaphones, which one will give me the most liquid, forward, hell, even colored mid-range sound in their line-up?

I am a big fan of thick colored tube mid-range.

Ok, I want to do this for about $300 - $350 including amp (hopefully tube). After that, what CD player would you use?

Thanks,

Stacey

Ack...not for 300-350. =]

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 16
The only pro bias stax system you're likely to get for that price, new or old, is an SR-001 or SR-005 in-ear. You could also break down and go for some old normal bias gear, from Stax or one of the smaller companies. A fast, colored midrange is actually characteristic of the cheapest kind, the SR-3 and its variants by Magnavox, Superex, Marantz, etc.

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could also break down and go for some old normal bias gear, from Stax

Recommendaition here... Would that include an amp (hopefully tube)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A fast, colored midrange is actually characteristic of the cheapest kind, the SR-3

Is there a place that talks about the characteristics of the Stax lineup (other than sifting though all the post here)?

Thanks,

Stacey

Apr 3, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Recommendation here... Would that include an amp (hopefully tube)?

no, but it would be with a transformer box that would let you use your full-size tube amp instead. Also, the transformer boxes tend in general to have something more like a tube sound than the Stax amps anyway, at least in terms of a more colored and liquid midrange.

Quote:

Is there a place that talks about the characteristics of the Stax lineup (other than sifting though all the post here)?

Not really, and there are too many options to quickly explain. List any other elements of your preferences (what kind of music, where you listen, what equipment you already have, which headphones you've liked and disliked, how important soundstage is to you, etc.), and I'm sure someone will be able to give you some specific suggestions.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:17 AM Post #6 of 16
facelvega, thanks for the help!

I guess I have a misunderstanding on how Stax headphones work.

With the normal bias setup, the box is nothing more that transformer, right?

That would mean, I need an amp, pre-amp, source (cd, turn-table, etc.) to drive the headphones, right?

Please help in understanding something that most people probably already know.

Thanks,

Stacey

Apr 3, 2008 at 3:02 PM Post #8 of 16
No matter the bias, a transformer is always used like you said (amp, preamp, or integrated amp, and source).

Or you can get a Stax amp instead and plug your source directly to that. In both situations, you just have to make sure the transformer or amplifier have outputs that match your headphones (pro bias headphones---pro bias outputs, etc.).

Thanks,

Kyle

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #9 of 16
So, with some Stax systems, it sounds to me, you either use an adapter and an amp or an amp only. The amp will then act as an adapter.

Sorry for the questions as I am still not clear on how this works with Stax systems.

Thanks,

Stacey

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

So, with some Stax systems, it sounds to me, you either use an adapter and an amp or an amp only. The amp will then act as an adapter.

Sorry for the questions as I am still not clear on how this works with Stax systems.

Thanks,

Stacey

It can be confusing. Pro and normal bias refer only to different bias voltages (580 or 230V). These days pro bias has completely replaced normal bias in the stax catalog. There are amps and transformers for either bias, though what probably led you astray is that about 90 percent of normal-bias Stax come with transformers, and at least 90 percent of pro-bias come with dedicated amps.

So the options are

speaker amp > transformer > earspeakers, where potentially the same amp that drives your speakers also drives your Stax; or

Stax amp (or other electrostatic headphone amp) > earspeakers. In which the amp ONLY drives the headphones.

The first option is much cheaper as long as you already have a good speaker amp and don't count that in the cost. The difference is usually identified that the transformers tend to give a fuller, warmer, and more musical sound, while the dedicated amps lend themselves to detail, flat response, and extension.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #12 of 16
facelvega,

Thanks, that definitely clears it up. So, it sounds to me as if I need a transformer model. I have an amp and preamp in mind to drive them.

Suggestions on a combo that would be nice and affordable (around $300).

Thanks,

Stacey

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

facelvega,

Thanks, that definitely clears it up. So, it sounds to me as if I need a transformer model. I have an amp and preamp in mind to drive them.

Suggestions on a combo that would be nice and affordable (around $300).

Thanks,

Stacey

$300-350 is a lot for normal-bias stuff, giving you many options. I'd try for an SR-Lambda with SRD-7. List a WTB thread and mention $300 or a little more, and I think you'll eventually get a bite. Other good options would be an SR-5N (also called SR-5 gold) or SR-X mkIII, either of which should run $200-250 depending on condition, sometimes less if you get lucky on ebay or elsewhere. There's also the Gamma, but they're relatively rare. A normal SR-3 or SR-5 would not be quite as good as these options, but would cost significantly less.

Apr 19, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 16
I've been very intrigued by all this Stax talk of late.

I don't quite understand the necessary setup though - Can someone break it down?

Right now I have laptop audio going into a Marantz 2270 receiver, which powers 2 bookshelf speakers, and I plug my headphones into the stereojack on the Marantz.

How would this setup work with a Stax? I was sort of under the impression that Stax (because of their odd connectors) needed their own special Stax amp. And how does the bias factor in? does that have to do with the voltage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back