Salads! Salads! Salads!
Apr 24, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #16 of 26
thanks for the suggestions keep them coming.

Gabe, I feel your pain. Me too, but I prefer to look at it as a lifestyle change over a diet. Diet's are temporary, and I need to just start living a healthier lifestyle. Not doctor induced..yet, but I know I need to now, or run the risk of it being doctor induced later.

Apr 24, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #17 of 26
Try some low-fat salad dressing....like reduced fat vinaigrettes or something. It's better to have some fats in the salad, because the lipids will help with absorbing all the nutrients and vitamins from the veggies (especially since the veggies are raw).

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #20 of 26
try a nice pasta salad!

tricolore rotini, whole olives, chopped green onions, chunk white tuna, a little olive oil and mayo, a little dill, pepper and sea salt, and serve it over organic baby greens.

i made this tonight and it turned out pretty great.

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #21 of 26
Making an impressive (though not so low fat) salad comes down to one simple trick: cook your own crutons.
Don't like crutons? cook your own and get back to me.
It's not a low fat solution per se, but it never fails to impress.

I like my salads simple though, spinach leaves and dressing - hardly interesting.

And I freakin' hate iceberg crappy lettuce! But romaine is good.

Oh and shifter's recommendation sounds good too.
Pasta salad can rock

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
And by lettuce I mean beef steak, and by tomato I actually mean bacon.

And by balsamic Spinnaker, I mean a large and viscous replica of Miss Portuguese Man-of-War, sans risqué polyp garters.

Apr 24, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #23 of 26
Huge fan of baby spinach and romaine. And nuts. Nuts are great on salads. Walnuts and sliced almonds are terrific.

It's also enjoy grilling part of a chicken breat and adding slices to the salad. Very good.

Apr 24, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #24 of 26
i love salad!

here's the ingredients for a secret salad that will make you live forever...

arugula (or whatever leaf you prefer- i love arugula for the earthy spiciness)
cucumber
tomato
carrots
celery
green onions
mushrooms
bell pepper
walnuts
currants
avacado
feta cheese (or blue cheese, etc if you like)
apples (cut up into cubes- they go great with the walnuts, celery and feta)
italian seasoning (bottle of mixed herbs- any dry or fresh herbs you want are fine here)
sea salt
ground pepper
olive oil
balsamic vinegar

i usually put the feta and avacado in last, otherwise they get all mushy. put the olive oil on- enough to coat, toss, and then add spices/salt/pepper and then toss the salad to spread the herbs, then add the balsamic - just enough for flavor, too much gets really acidic

this is a good salad for a lot of people, so you can make a big one with all the ingredients you'll have to buy. its wonderful because there are so many surprise goodies that you run into. different tastes, and textures make it really interesting.

enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Snake
Beans add proteins as well.

Not to mention great conversation stareters later on.
evil_smiley.gif
Any of the vinegarettes is a good example of salad dressing you can see through. Or just rice or cider vinegar. Or lemon or lime juice. And some nasty moldy blue cheese. Mmmmm boy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back