Safest Ebay transaction?
May 29, 2004 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

MN Ham Phones

100+ Head-Fier
I have made only a dozen purchases, never a seller. Always a good experience. I'm debating listing my backup Mac (G4) and want to protect my ass(ets). My eyes just roll and start to water when I read some of the FAQs on Ebay.

So what is the safest way to accept payment for a transaction?

I can accept some fees, but I want to eliminate the chance of a mischevious charge back on whatever form of payment is rendered. I'm just looking for protection from the criminals out there, not trying to cheat an honest member out of promised goods.

May 29, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 2
Safest is USPS Money Order. However, if you insist on MO, you're likely to limit your sales and get a lower price.

Paypal is reasonably safe, IMO, but there's a catch. You MUST read their rules carefully. It's a good idea to photograph the item as it's packed for shipping, so there's a record of the condition it was in. Pack it safely enough to drop from a four foot height with no possibility of damage. Use a trackable method of delivery (USPS delivery confirmation is NOT trackable, nor is it reliable). Always ship only to the address listed with Paypal. There's more, but you need to read it at their site. Done correctly, Paypal is pretty safe. If you're sloppy, and don't know the rules, it can bite you.

If your eyes start to roll and water reading FAQ's, consider a private sale to someone you know. You need to know the rules, the problems that come up, and how to solve them, to use eBay/Paypal effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back