Safe impedance for AKG K702
May 6, 2009 at 12:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

davidc2

Head-Fier
I have just got some AKG K702 headphones and would be grateful for some advice please. I am using the headphones at the moment with an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard which has it's own headphone amp. In the card's software there are three Impedance options "Normal - upto 64Ohm", High - 64-300Ohm" and "Extra High - 300-600Ohm". The K702 has a rated impedance of 62Ohm so I started using the "Normal" software Impedance setting. But I find that using the High setting gives a more transparent sound. Obviously I am using a lower volume with the High setting so the net volume from the headphones is more or less the same using the Normal and High settings.

I have ordered a Graham Slee Novo headphone amp but am using the amp in my soundcard till it arrives. Will I damage my headphones using the High setting?

Thanks.

May 6, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #3 of 11
No - don't worry!
regular_smile .gif

May 6, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #4 of 11
Try extra high :p

May 7, 2009 at 2:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by crossmd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thinking about that..is that even possible? Is there a threshold for something like this that would result in damage?

probably yes..
but audio equipment are normally build with that in consideration

therefore it would be rather safe

May 7, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 11
I would think an impedance mismatch between headphones and amp would be more likely to damage the amp, if anything.

Just don't ask me to try to explain why I would think that.

May 7, 2009 at 9:25 AM Post #9 of 11
The settings may be there to match gain and current output with the load impedance. However, as long as you are listening at non-ear-splitting volumes, there is likely no concern for the safety of either your headphones nor your card. The higher settings probably have more gain, thus more headroom, which makes them sound a bit more open. No worries using "high".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back