Saddest things to ever happen to nice cans?
Jul 28, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #18 of 21
I bought some ER-4P's in the UK before coming back to China. I got them 1 day before I left, and they were sweet to use on the plane. Walking into my building, the cable rapped around a door handle and broke the connections in the plug. I wasn't sad, rope-able would be a better desscription.

It does have a happy ending though. The cable was replaced by Ety for free! They even paid for the shipping back to China.

Jun 11, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #19 of 21
About 10 years ago I had an Ultrasone portable headphone around $100. I forget the model but they were super comfortable and extremely light. So light that it felt like nothing on my head. I enjoyed them but they were so fragile and broke easily when I accidentally stepped on them.

And to add insult to that, they got stolen at an airport too. But I didn’t mind at that point since they were already damaged.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #20 of 21
I had a pair of ER4S that I left on the bed once. My puppy dog found them and made a chewy out of. I thought that was bad.
Due that the consequence was much much worse...I found Head-Fi.:deadhorse:

Jul 22, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #21 of 21
For me, that would have to be my first HD 600, which was destroyed last year in a house fire. I retrieved it from my bedroom afterward, and while it appeared to still function, it stunk so horribly of acrid smoke that it would never be usable again. It was also covered in soot, and the room had gotten hot enough to make the decal transfer on the headband bubble up and partially separate. I tried disassembling the headphone and thoroughly cleaning it, but it was hopeless. As I would discover with several other objects I attempted to salvage, the smoke smell becomes impregnated into plastic (likely because of the extreme heat) and never comes out.

I showed the remains of the headphone to the disaster recovery people so it could be included in the insurance claim, then I watched them throw it on the pile of everything else that was being disposed of. A sad end to the single object that had brought me more enjoyment than any other, before or since.

I replaced it several months later with a new HD 600 (just before the cosmetic redesign, incidentally), though I've never been quite satisfied with the second one. Maybe my taste changed in the time I was without my first pair; maybe the pads on the new one just haven't worn in the way they had for the majority of the time I had my first pair; maybe the new one genuinely has more pronounced upper midrange, but whatever the case, I find my current pair noticeably more shouty and a bit harsher than how I remember the first one sounding (it always had a hint of shoutiness about it, though it seldom bothered me). I wish I still had the first one to compare—I would never wear it for an extended period, but I might brave a few moments with it just to see if it was indeed a unicorn pair (or if my current one is just a bad one).

Anyway, here's the carnage if anybody's interested:

IMG_20190907_211113.jpgIMG_20190907_211135.jpgIMG_20190907_211202.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back